Open Forum

Wages Laundry Attendant

• 1.  Wages Laundry Attendant

Posted 7 days ago
    Edited by RICH CRUZ 7 days ago
    I was lucky enough to hire a fast,reply,laundry attendant a couple of months at minimum wage and 2 weeks gave a $1.00 more an ready  again for another raise my question in your experience how do you increase your chances retaining someone like this. She is early twenties & was a health home worker laid off.
    --
    the laundry
    thedirtycomeclean.com
    441 Brockway Avenue
    Morgantown WV, 26501
    PlanetLaundry Podcasts - Listen Now!

• 2.  RE: Wages Laundry Attendant

Posted 7 days ago
    We give raises based on performance and sometimes it is $.25, $.50 or $1.00 per hour.  I complement staff as well as give constructive criticism reminding them that raises are earned and eagerly given.

------------------------------
    Rick and Martha Morrison
    Twin City Laundry
    1208 Washington Way Ste 110
    Longview, WA 98632

• 3.  RE: Wages Laundry Attendant

Posted 7 days ago
    Just pay her well. I'm paying my best worker what was double the minimum wage. Its worth it to retain a good employee because they are hard to find. Find out how much she was making in her other job. Thats the competition.

Pete
    Owner
    The Washtub Laundromat
    Tappan, NY

• 4.  RE: Wages Laundry Attendant

Posted 6 days ago
    After reading the book "EntreLeadership", I realized I had been doing everything wrong for years.  I now try to hire only the best workers and try to match or beat salaries at other well run service businesss (I benchmarked Chick-fil-A, Aldi, Trader Joes and others).  I ask friends for recommendations of high caliber people that are looking for work.  So far so good. Business is growing and running much more smoothly.

Barry Carter
    Distributor and Store Owner
    Asheville, NC

• 5.  RE: Wages Laundry Attendant

Posted 6 days ago
    Well said and done Barry! That's what we've been doing for years now and I agree it's the only way to go. We get what we pay for and labor is no difference.

Whenever I see someone struggling to find or keep good people, I can almost always point it back to compensation (lack of), company culture and lack of recruiting/people skills.

Congratulations on your ability to pivot and adjust mid career. Not too many people can swallow their pride and make that change. Very well done and I'm glad to hear you're seeing results within your business too.

Everyone remember this " It can be very expensive to be cheap!"

Dave Menz
    Follow me on YouTube @Laundromat Millionaire
    https://www.queencitylaundry.com
    https://www.happynest.com
    Cincinnati, OH

• 6.  RE: Wages Laundry Attendant

Posted 6 days ago
    That is so true. If you have one or more good employees, pay them so well that they won't want to leave. After going through a few less than desirable workers in the mid 2000's I ended up with a person who was just supposed to fill in while the employee took off for another country. I liked this guy so much that when the original employee came back and asked for his job back, i told him I'm keeping your replacement permanently. I still have this person in my employment and he is payed extremely well and gets raises almost every year. Worth every penny! He gets a $50 per week bonus throughout this virus that I will make permanent when it ends and just add work to his current duties. He wants to do the floor maintenance.

Bright's Coin Wash
    Tom Bright Person
    Marengo IL

• 7.  RE: Wages Laundry Attendant

Posted 5 days ago
    Edited by LORI LOMBARDO 5 days ago
    I completely agree that when you find good employees with great work ethic, friendly and willing to go the extra mile, they should be well compensated and you should keep them happy. They are the face of your store, your reputation, your production and a key factor in making a store successful.

We do our best to offer competitive rate while trying to keep good profits.

Since minimum wage and cost of life is very different across the country, I am curious to know how much more $/h above the minimum wage in your state do you offer to your good employees?

Our main struggles is not keeping good employees, but finding them! We tried Indeed, social media and referrals but it has been very difficult to find someone willing to work, especially during these times. What's your best channel to find talents and grow your team?

LORI LOMBARDO
    Winn Street Laundry Center
    Burlington MA