Open Forum

Soft Water and/or Ozone System

• 1.  Soft Water and/or Ozone System

Posted 11 days ago
    Since I have neither of the above, I am getting an estimate from Culligan Water for a new Soft Water install for my 22 machines.

There is also talk on Ozone systems too..which I am doing a bit of research on. Does anyone have any input/experience on this subject?

Thank you all!

James Kelly
    University Wash n Dry
    PlanetLaundry Podcasts - Listen Now!

• 2.  RE: Soft Water and/or Ozone System

Posted 10 days ago
    Ozone is known to destroy the seals and other rubber related products on the washers.
    Bad Seals = Bad Bearings in very short order

It is best used in Industrial Applications with equipment that has Properly Engineered to handle it.

OPL and Laundromats Applications are truly limited in benefits compared to what's already available

The Soft Water is a Good Thing for using less soap, and Tankless Water Heaters.

------------------------------
    DAVID CHAMLEE
    CCR
    Summerland CA

• 3.  RE: Soft Water and/or Ozone System

Posted 10 days ago
    Edited by Curt Harrington 10 days ago
    WARNING!    And that is just what it does to your equipment. It will also eat holes in copper and steel. BAD BAD BAD

Soft water is a good thing as long as you are not paying for the water.
    OK, I have heard stories that the new soft water systems do not waste a bunch of water. That might be true?
    Curt Harrington

• 4.  RE: Soft Water and/or Ozone System

Posted 10 days ago
    Edited by LARRY LARSEN 10 days ago

Ozone has a very short life after release in water, so the distance from manufacture point to machine is an important factor.

I've sold and assisted in quite a few ozone system installations but found any increase in business due to extensive marketing and in-store promotion, was short lived. The cost of installation and equipment makes this a major investment. I don't promote this type of ozone treatment for Laundromats any longer.

David C. and Curt H. have correctly pointed out additional negative aspects. I agree with their contributions.

Larry Larsen
    www.Laundromat123.com
    Distributor Member
    Consultant - Advisor

• 5.  RE: Soft Water and/or Ozone System

Posted 10 days ago
    Hi James, I'm not here to argue or even debate with others but every comment made above "used to be true" but is no longer applicable, atleast not with the manufacturers that I'm aware of.

I recently installed Aquawing San-O-Wash Ozone system in my biggest mat. I spoke with Alliance prior to installing and it does NOT void any warranties (it did used to tho), nor do they require any different seals in the washers due to Ozone(They used to sell separate Ozone resistant seals but no longer even offer them for sale)

The circumstances they are referring to are older systems that simply dumped large amounts of Ozone into the water without regulating it. In that case, everything they posted would be true...

The two main Ozone manufacturers in our industry have come a loooong way in perfecting the delivery systems so that this is no longer a concern.

While I'm confident the comments above are well intended and are from experienced operators, they are speaking in past tense terms. It's all about the delivery system and much has changed even in the last 36 months or so. I recommend that you contact Aquawing San-O-Wash directly and they are happy to explain in more detail. Best wishes to you!

Dave Menz
    Follow me on YouTube @Laundromat Millionaire
    https://www.queencitylaundry.com
    https://www.happynest.com
    Cincinnati, OH

• 6.  RE: Soft Water and/or Ozone System

Posted 9 days ago
    Edited by LARRY LARSEN 9 days ago

Despite the above comment, based on the limited experience of the forum contributor, no “improvements" address the scientific reaction of ozone when added to water.

Rather than acting as a promoter for the manufacturer, it would be wonderful to have this contributor explain the new ozone process and perhaps acknowledge that he only has a personal opinion and not an experienced or professional  contribution to make. 

Larry Larsen
    www.Laundromat123.com
    Distributor Member
    Consultant - Advisor

• 7.  RE: Soft Water and/or Ozone System

Posted 9 days ago
    As long as there is a clarification fest going on I should respond to some private messages regarding soft water.
    The making of soft water involves a process. During this process those things you do not want in your water are separated out. They are then flushed down the drain leaving the treated water. This process uses quite a bit of water. Some say you are destroying the environment due to the salt in the water you do not retain.
    The guy down the street from me loves it. Good for him and his customers as they can use less soap. He told me what his water bill is and I am perfectly happy not using that system.
    There are some things out there you can use to treat your water without wasting any. Some actually call their process soft water. There are a bunch of these involving all kinds of magical fairies who soften your water.
    I happen to like the one that adds citric acid but that is probably because I have liquid rocks with some water mixed in delivered to my building.

Curt Harrington

• 8.  RE: Soft Water and/or Ozone System

Posted 9 days ago
    Edited by Art Jaeger 9 days ago
    It appears this thread is the prelude to interest people in next Wednesday's (August 5th) CLA webinar on Ozone in which Marty Mulligan, Jeff Gardner and myself will be discussing our extensive experiences with ozone. It will also provide everyone an opportunity to ask us these questions and hear what has actually happened from our perspectives, how our customers have felt about ozone, how we use and market it for walk-in, WDF and commercial customers and discuss any misconceptions that are being brought up in this thread. If each of you were promoters for the upcoming webinar you couldn't be doing a better job. Thanks and hope to see you on the webinar next week and have the opportunity to answer all of these questions in detail.

Art Jaeger
    Santa Clarita Laundry
    Santa Clarita, CA

• 9.  RE: Soft Water and/or Ozone System

Posted 6 days ago
    Larry L,

I never said I was an expert anymore than you did, I offered my opinion based on my recent knowledge and experience of HAVING RECENTLY RESEARCHED THE SUBJECT AND ACTUALLY HAVING IT IN MY STORE.

You yourself admitted that you are out of touch with today's modern delivery systems of Ozone. I also never insinuated that the "technology has changed". In fact I specifically said that the delivery systems have been drastically improved, and they have.

There's no shame in being dated and out of touch in your advice but please, if you're going to try to discredit me, atleast do some modern day homework.

I also am not trying to promote a particular company. Aquawing just happened to be the company that I used and I was happy with their product and service. I have no experience with other Ozone companies so refrained. I've always tried to speak where I have relevant, up to date knowledge but I also try to refrain from areas where I don't have recent, relevant experience.

Again, for someone who is obsessively trying to discredit me for promoting products and services, I can't help but notice.... You sell equipment, insurance, brokerage services and consultanting services on here so desperately that we'd all think you were starving to death. Having been in the business for 40 years, I would think you'd be all set in life and really only interested in giving back. 🤷‍♂️

To piggy back on Art Yaegers comment, I highly recommend that you join the CLA's upcoming Ozone Webinar. I was originally on the expert panel but had to bow out due to my schedule and other experts panel commitments.

I can say that I know Art personally. He's a great guy and he has Ozone in 4 stores and has since 2015 I believe. In fact, he did a fantastic floor talk on Ozone at Clean 2019. He really knows his stuff!

Art has tremendous, very recent, actual operating experience with Ozone in his laundromats. He uses the modern delivery systems that I spoke of and has had a tremendously positive experience in his stores because of it.

I highly recommend you register for the CLA Webinar and get expert opinions and experiences in TODAY'S Ozone delivery systems. Then make the decision that's best for you.

Dave Menz
    Follow me on YouTube @Laundromat Millionaire
    https://www.queencitylaundry.com
    https://www.happynest.com
    Cincinnati, OH

• 10.  RE: Soft Water and/or Ozone System

Posted 4 days ago
    Thank you Art and Dave for mentioning CLA's program on "Adding Ozone Wash to your Laundry." We selected this topic because of the many questions and interest that we have seen regarding ozone. We have three experienced store owners who currently have ozone in their stores and both brands will be represented. You can find more information and register at:  https://www.coinlaundry.org/claevent/adding-ozone-wash-to-your-laundry.

Danielle Bauer
    Director of Membership
    Coin Laundry Association