Open Forum

restroom question

• 1.  restroom question

Posted 07-09-2019 16:25
    This may be a stupid question but suggestions on restroom air dryer vs paper towels? And if airy dryer any brand suggestions? Kinda thought with air then the mess of paper towels would be one less thing to deal with. Any other suggestions? Just building my restroom now. Thanks in advance!

------------------------------
    Todd Christopher
    Chrisclean Laundry
    Cumberland Maryland
    Join CLA - Enjoy Membership Benefits

• 2.  RE: restroom question

Posted 07-09-2019 16:47
    Edited by CURT HARRINGTON 07-09-2019 22:49
    The idea of adding more heat for the A/C to deal with does not sound like a good idea to me. I hope you doubled the size normally required for your building. I get very few paper towels on the floor.
    Also the fact that they are outside the restroom helps. They are out with the sink. Restroom has toilet and TP only.
    Curt Harrington

• 3.  RE: restroom question

Posted 07-09-2019 17:19
    It depends a little on your expected clientele.  Do you think they will be bright enough to put them in a garbage can versus the toilet?  Probably hard to know, but IMO that's the biggest drawback to paper towels.  I have Goetlands and they've been fine for me.  You can buy them on Amazon.

Paul Kludt
    Multi Store Owner
    Lake Worth Coin Laundry
    West Palm Beach, FL

• 4.  RE: restroom question

Posted 07-09-2019 20:42
    ive been using the American Dryer model G1X...saves me from buying and carrying 1 less thing and less paper towels on the floors.

Wes C
    Houston TX

• 5.  RE: restroom question

Posted 07-09-2019 21:01
    Edited by Paulie B 07-09-2019 21:20
    I agree with Paul K about not having to worry about paper towels on the floor, but it goes farther than that.

I’ve had electric hand dryers for years. The main reason? A laundromat, of ALL businesses, does not need paper towels in its drain system!

And you KNOW that If they’re throwing them on the floor, then they are throwing them in the toilet.
    Paulie B
    Multiple Mat Owner since 1976
    New York City, NY

• 6.  RE: restroom question

Posted 07-09-2019 22:10
    I agree with Paulie. I've had drains clogged multiple times due to paper towels being flushed. Right now I have no towels at all in the bathroom. but I'm looking into an air dryer.

Pete
    Owner
    The Washtub Laundromat
    Tappan, NY

• 7.  RE: restroom question

Posted 07-10-2019 00:43
    I've installed hand dryers and really like them. The problems you might face is the installation of an electrical source and mounting them at appropriate ADA height. In a partially attended facilities, I worried about theft or vandalism, but paper towels are ever increasing on price, so I gave it a try. It worked, and it was a great hairdryer for the occasional homeless patron.

Larry Larsen
    Laundromat123.com
    Anaheim, CA
    Distributor - Insurance - Consulting
    Cell: (714) 390-9969

• 8.  RE: restroom question

Posted 07-10-2019 08:42
    Thank you gentlemen! You helped clarify what I was leaning towards, a dryer. I had not even thought of paper towels going into the toilet.

Todd Christopher
    Chrisclean Laundry
    Cumberland Maryland

• 9.  RE: restroom question

Posted 07-10-2019 12:46
    Under the prior owners, the laundromat had two bathrooms opened all the time.  Homeless would come in and clean themselves in the bathroom with the water and paper towels.  Customers would complain that the bathroom was dirty and floors were wet.  Replacing the paper towels with a hand dryer and telling the homeless to not come in took care of the problem.

WEI CHEN
    WEI CHEN Person
    Los Angeles CA

• 10.  RE: restroom question

Posted 07-10-2019 18:06
    I use the Exelerator E  No heat just ambient air lots of force. Four years and no problems.

F Salas
    Freedom Laundry
    Denison TX

• 11.  RE: restroom question

Posted 07-10-2019 20:34
    We have no regrets having put in this brushed stainless steel choice in our restroom several years ago:  https://www.exceldryer.com/product/xlerator-hand-dryer/

MICHAEL WALSH www.kingkoin.com
    King Koin Laundry, Car n Dog Wash
    Bismarck ND

• 12.  RE: restroom question

Posted 07-10-2019 22:22
    Unless you want customers trying to dry their clothes using the hand dryer, use paper towels instead.

STEVEN MATRIX
    24-Hour Laundromat
    Monmouth OR

• 13.  RE: restroom question

Posted 07-10-2019 22:58
    Edited by Peter Mayberry 07-10-2019 23:03
    I think mine are called excelerators or some crazy name like that. They are annoyingly loud but super effective at drying hands. Like a high pitched jet engine. You try to dry your clothes with that baby and you will need hearing aids. My six year old seriously makes me hold his ears or he won't use it.

Edit: So I see I am late to the party and someone already mentioned these dryers. Do not get the new feature sound control! In a tight tile room keep it just like it is and people will not abuse it. Unless of corse they are already deaf.

Peter H. Mayberry
    Anytime Laundry
    Omaha, NE

• 14.  RE: restroom question

Posted 07-11-2019 11:26
    Is the cost of the electricity to run the air dryers lower than the cost of paper towels?  I'm assuming yes, even here in nosebleed KWH priced CA.  What if you include cost of dryer, plus cost of wiring?  How long do they last?  How often does it get damaged or torn off the wall over a 5 yr period?  If all those costs are included, still cheaper than towels?

Have any of you asked your customers which they prefer?  Shouldn't that be a starting point?  I know as a customer I would much rather use PTs than wait in line to use the air dryer.  Customers also like to use PTs to wipe down the folding table prior to use.   My paper towels and sink are outside the bathroom so rare for them to end up in toilet.  But I also have the vagrant problem, they come in and take 50 towels, etc.  Someone should invent an alarm that sounds when someone takes more than 2 PTs.   I am not happy about the $$ I'm spending every month on PTs.  The cheapest I have found are from Smart and Final.

Anderson
    Camarillo CA

• 15.  RE: restroom question

Posted 07-11-2019 11:49
    The answer to my questions were answered in the link provided by Mr. Walsh.  It has great calculator comparing costs.  Says these machines cost roughly $400-$500 plus another $125-$200 for installation.  For my usage, it would cost just $21 per year for electricity (for the Excellerator).

I'm spending about 0.8 cents per towel, sometimes 0.7 when on sale (does anyone know where or how to get them cheaper?)  I'm blowing roughly $40 per month on towels.

In my case it would take 18 months in PT savings to cover the cost of the machine plus installation (assuming no vandalism).  I'm thinking a good compromise to keep customers happy, and save some $$ on PTs, is to offer both.

Anderson
    Camarillo CA

• 16.  RE: restroom question

Posted 07-11-2019 11:52
    For those with hand dryers, what do you use as a backsplash?  I notice most places have something mounted to the wall and a floor mat for the water.

Chris Mallam
    Norfolk VA

• 17.  RE: restroom question

Posted 07-11-2019 14:07
    R A

When you come up with that vagrant alarm please let me know.
    Having your sink and paper towels out in the open works rather well.
    Now if I can just stop people from bathing their child in that bar sink, washing their feet while their socks are still on ETC. I will be a happy camper.

Curt Harrington

• 18.  RE: restroom question

Posted 07-11-2019 19:35
    I think the solution I came up with for another customer is a pretty good balance.
    The Air Hand Dryer is in the restroom, and another is next to the laundromat hank sink.
    Paper Towels are mounted on the bulkheads of the washers, & above the folding tables.
    Customers use the Air Dryers to dry their hands (and occassionally their kids' hair)
    The paper towels are conveniently placed for wiping spills, etc., but not very close to the hand sink.
    Few people will walk 'all-the-way-over' to the Paper Towel Dispenser to get towels to dry their hands.
    (Come on, these are the same people that can't get the fabric softer sheets into the garbage cans 3 feet away!)

DAVID CHAMLEE
    Service Technician since 1986
    and sometimes Laundromat Owner
    CCR
    Santa Barbara, CA

• 19.  RE: restroom question

Posted 07-13-2019 10:07
    I installed a hand dryer in the bathroom a few years ago.  No issues.  The interesting thing is that no one seems to ever use it, including myself.  It's loud so I can hear it from outside the bathroom.  In my neighborhood everyone seems content to walk out with wet hands.

Joe Copeland
    Store Owner
    Happy Bubbles Laundromat
    North Hollywood, CA
    www.BubblesCoin.com

• 20.  RE: restroom question

Posted 07-13-2019 10:32
    Chris,

i have FRP on my RR walls. They go from floor to about 4' up. Nothing on the floor.

Wes C
    Houston TX