CLA Connect Open Forum

webcam of parking lot?

• 1.  webcam of parking lot?

Posted 11 days ago
    ​Hello to All,  Every now and then my laundromat is quite busy and the customers ask me when the slower times are.   I was thinking about putting a webcam live stream showing my parking lot.  Customers could possibly go to my Facebook page and get real time video of my parking lot to let them know just how busy my laundromat is, that way they would know if it is the best time to do laundry.  Has any laundromat owner tried something like this before?  What are you thoughts? Too many issues with this idea....ie privacy issues?    thank you   Mark

------------------------------
    Mark Lee
    Mark Lee Person
    Mt. Pleasant MI
    Join CLA - Enjoy Membership Benefits

• 2.  RE: webcam of parking lot?

Posted 11 days ago
    You don't know your slow times? Your slow days should be Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. You could post a sign encouraging use on these three days. There should be washers available all day on these three slow days.

Do you believe that people are going someplace else to wash because they can't view the level of use at any given time? I think your notion is excessive to believe the iPhone generation governs their washing habits by checking an application.

Do you want your competitors to be able to view your customer traffic? Perhaps it will encourage a competitor to build near your Laundromat because of the volume of business you openly display.

Do you think a number of people don't want to have their personal activities posted to the web? Do find there is a direct correlation between cars in the parking lot and the number or washers and dryers being used? Laundromat washer availability cannot be easily determined by viewing a parking lot.

I recall collecting a Laundromat one Saturday morning and the place was totally filled. Thirty minutes later the place was nearly empty. I left to pick up soda for the vending machine and returned about twenty minutes later. The store was packed again.

The busy-slow nature of the Laundromat business means that some customers will be disappointed after relying on their view of your live web page. By the time they get to your store, it may be packed.

Good luck and enjoy this activity as a hobby, not a business improvement.

Larry Larsen
    Laundromat123.com
    Anaheim, CA
    Distributor - Insurance - Consulting
    Cell: (714) 390-9969

• 3.  RE: webcam of parking lot?

Posted 10 days ago
    Edited by MICHAEL WALSH 10 days ago
    Mark,

Duane King of Bowling Green, Ohio has done that & he very well may still have that since he said it was a winner for him.  I remember a car wash operator from Canada on the car wash forum as found it to have more pluses than minuses.

If enough of our customers show an interest in it ... I might share our Wyze Pan Cam Cloud setup.  I like the idea for the interested customers since we are trusting them ... for their "share" to happen only after they sign up for it ... for free of course ... with one of their email addresses.

MICHAEL WALSH www.kingkoin.com
    King Koin Laundry, Car n Dog Wash
    Bismarck ND

• 4.  RE: webcam of parking lot?

Posted 10 days ago
    ​Hello Larry and Michael,  All good thoughts, thanks for taking the time to express them.    Mark

Mark Lee
    Mark Lee Person
    Mt. Pleasant MI

• 5.  RE: webcam of parking lot?

Posted 10 days ago
    Mark & others,

I am not sure if a search on this forum will yield that older thread that covered your topic.  I do remember that part of it was a some frenzied fear driven hypothetical of some stalker getting the live footage online & possibly harassing or even killing the person they were stalking ... & some members suggested that the laundromat owner would be liable.  By limiting who has access & requiring an email address that could lessen that potential & also lessening the chances of a competitor staying on continuously ... day after day etc. like Larry L suggests.

Maybe I am in a much less dangerous part of the country ... maybe I am a bit naive .... but I did not agree with that frenzied fear driven mindset by some of my fellow forum members!

It seems like facebook & youtube has live feed ... not sure on those technicalities though.   I remember during the somewhat closeby to Bismarck NO DAPL oil pipeline protest there was a NO DAPL confrontation live feed that was actually recorded.  Within 24 hrs that video footage seemed to no longer be available for the public to see ... that or no longer existed .... not sure what happened!

MICHAEL WALSH www.kingkoin.com
    King Koin Laundry, Car n Dog Wash
    Bismarck ND

• 6.  RE: webcam of parking lot?

Posted 10 days ago
    ​Thanks Michael,  potential liability could be a real problem.  Maybe let sleeping dogs lie?     Mark

Mark Lee
    Mark Lee Person
    Mt. Pleasant MI