Open Forum

Clean Show & CLA

• 1.  Clean Show & CLA

Posted 06-22-2019 10:47
    Edited by DAVE MENZ 06-22-2019 10:53
    Good morning everyone! This morning is day 3 of the Clean Show so this got me thinking. What have you done with your time here? I'm sure we've all had different experiences, saw things that we didn't expect, met people we weren't sure we'd meet, etc. I've done more networking and met more great owners than all my other shows combined and I find great value in this for the industry, myself, and for the CLA as a whole. This trip has been worth my costs times 10, easily! I thank the CLA for all the great sessions and for asking me to speak, I really enjoyed it and talking to so many others after the panel. I'll be walking the floor today and will be in different booths just chatting so if u see me, feel free to stop and chat a minute, I'd love to meet you in person!  Lastly, what's the best or unexpected things you've seen at the show and in what booth? I'd really like to make my last day count so if I can learn from your time on the floor, I'm all ears!  Here's a few of mine... The massage chairs. While it's ancillary income I'll be ordering one today, and will purchase one for each store if it's profitable for us. I'm estimating ROI of a year so I think it'll be a great addition, and add to our WOW factor too. At the Klopp booth I got a demo for the Hitachi bill sorter, and I'm definitely going to get one, at least. This is a great sorter for a small business. I've been looking at the bank models for awhile now and they're expensive. I estimate it'll save me about 3 hours a week in sorting time and much more in the future.

Lastly in broad terms, our industry is raging with technology and it's fantastic to see, even compared to Vegas 2 years ago. Yes, we're all trying to sort through the weeds but it's very refreshing to see so many different flavors of tech that can and will take our industry to a new level. Check them out! Anyway, what say you???

------------------------------
    Dave Menz
    Queen City Laundry Chain
    https://www.queencitylaundry.com
    Laundry Magician Pickup & Delivery
    https://www.laundrymagician.com
    Cincinnati, OH
    Maytag - Sponsored Webinar September 17, 2019

• 2.  RE: Clean Show & CLA

Posted 06-22-2019 13:11

WOW!!  It was my FIRST Clean show and I was AMAZED!!!!  I have been to many National conventions there in NOLA with my hubby's line of work but I don't think I have seen a larger trade show!!!!  WOW!!

I didn't get to network as much but I was super impressed and did make a few decisions on the direction I am going with my business.  

I didn't make it to the classrooms like I was hoping (and signed up for) but I stayed on that floor gathering so much useful information!!  

In the future I hope they have print outs for the classes I signed up for earlier.  THey had no idea.  I thought they would print out a little card for each one like they do in hubby's line of work.  That way you know where you are supposed to be at all times.  

I used to live in NOLA but I found a NEW place (pub) where the food was FANTASTIC!!  Howlin' Wolf.  It was about a block away from the Hilton Garden Inn.  

HAwTLANTA - I will see you in two years!!  

DEBRA SAVOIE
    LA

• 3.  RE: Clean Show & CLA

Posted 06-22-2019 20:07
    I don't own any Speed Queen equipment but I have to admit their newest washer is a must see. The controls are so easy that my 6 year old could use it.  The chrome finish really pops also.

Peter H. Mayberry
    Anytime Laundry
    Omaha, NE

• 4.  RE: Clean Show & CLA

Posted 06-24-2019 13:08
    You have any pictures?

Steve Smoth
    Steve Smoth Person
    new york NY

• 5.  RE: Clean Show & CLA

Posted 06-25-2019 00:01
    Steve

I just checked my phone and I did not get any pictures of the touch screen. Basically it looks like a small iPad screen in place of where the quantum gold controls go. I think the washer frame and front still looked pretty much the same but I could be wrong. I think maybe it had a chrome door instead of stainless steel. I actually wish I did have a picture. Maybe someone else got one.

Peter H. Mayberry
    Anytime Laundry
    Omaha, NE

• 6.  RE: Clean Show & CLA

Posted 06-25-2019 17:13
    For those looking for a pic of the new Speed Queen Quantum Touch control...

This one is from our showroom.

Todd Santoro
    President
    CleanWash Laundry Systems
    Omaha NE

• 7.  RE: Clean Show & CLA

Posted 06-25-2019 17:46
    Very cool! Thanks for sharing Todd! Anyone know if Huebsch will have this soon??

Dave Menz
    Queen City Laundry Chain
    https://www.queencitylaundry.com
    Laundry Magician Pickup & Delivery
    https://www.laundrymagician.com
    Cincinnati, OH

• 8.  RE: Clean Show & CLA

Posted 06-23-2019 12:41
    This was my first show and was a short drive from my hometown. I was impressed with the displays and booths. I felt I made some good contacts that will be helpful down the road. I was impressed with the Dexter booth and machines most of all. However I was disappointed that the only deals or "show specials " I saw was on laundry carts   I went expecting more "show specials " on machines. Dexter was the only one that had prices on their machines with special financing for attending until August

Randy Perise
    The Wash House
    Ponchatoula LA

• 9.  RE: Clean Show & CLA

Posted 06-23-2019 15:16

Hi Randy!  I was also a short drive away.  My daughter used to be a Festival Queen and when I met up with her for Strawberry Formal I had the honor of doing her college laundry at your place!!  Busy place, indeed!! 

I also found the specials to be few and far between compared to what hubby gets at his conventions.  (Dentist)  

Go Daddy had a special but unless you have at least $400/month extra to spend on just Social Media then there wasn't much there,  Cleaner's Supply had a sweet special going on, but other than that....not many specials.  

DEBRA SAVOIE
    LA

• 10.  RE: Clean Show & CLA

Posted 06-24-2019 12:22
    Debra,
    Small world; actually I own a Laundromat in Albany, LA about 10 miles from Ponchatoula, A friend of mine owns the Ponchatoula store, but your right it is a nice busy store.​

Randy Perise
    The Wash House
    Ponchatoula LA

• 11.  RE: Clean Show & CLA

Posted 06-25-2019 19:35
    Todd,

No offense ... But looking at your pictures of the "New Speed Queen Quantum" ... I am pretty sure that many of us could not help but notice the "cashless" touchscreen only format on one pic & on the other pic "quarters only" right next to the new "touchscreen".  To be fair ... the touchscreen only one was probably tied to some kind of a "central pay area" which did allow for cash & remote activation triggers.

I would say most of us ... since this is supposed to be "leading edge" expected a coin acceptor that would at minimum at least include dollar coins!!!

MICHAEL WALSH www.kingkoin.com
    King Koin Laundry, Car n Dog Wash
    Bismarck ND

• 12.  RE: Clean Show & CLA

Posted 06-25-2019 21:59
    Michael

I asked and was told Alliance can provide a dual coin drop with the machine. So I can take dollars and quarters but I believe the coins will have to go in separate slots. 1 for quarters 1 for dollars.

Peter H. Mayberry
    Anytime Laundry
    Omaha, NE

• 13.  RE: Clean Show & CLA

Posted 06-25-2019 23:07
    Michael, no offense taken.  That said a few facts:

1.  We've sold thousands of vended washers and dryers over the last 8 years.  Less than 1% have taken or now take dollar coin.  For the big guys (PWS, BDS, etc...) the numbers are likely lower.
    2.  We've sold enough Imonex coin drops to be a Platinum Distributor for them so dollar coin isn't unknown to us but less than 1% of our equipment sales results in top tier for dollar acceptance.
    3.  As Peter mentioned we can request dollar coin drops direct from the factory from most if not all of our equipment brands.  In 8 years that we've had distribution agreements dollar drops haven't been ordered once from the factory.
    4.  364 Million credit card accounts, 654 debit cards, and approximately 14.6 million EBT cards (based on 44 million recipients and rough average of 3 persons per family cards) in the US.
    5.  224.3 million smart phone users in the US.

Factually, it's impossible for dollar coin to win out over cashless payments because the US is going cashless.  If you include overseas payment methodologies which manufacturers must plan for the differences are much more extreme.  Manufacturers, distributors, and the majority of store owners are moving to mobile/card payments for the same reason bar owners do.  Customers spend more money using a card or smartphone than with cash.  I prove it myself everytime I start a bar tab.  That greater spend averages 20 percentage points more than the fees.  Lastly, manufacturers are going to support research and development into equipment that supports what the greatest volume of customers are requesting and obviously that's what distributors are going to sell.

Reminds me, I don't want to see my Amex bill for last week at Clean.

5.  Most importantly, Quarter, Dollar coin, Token, even paper tickets works for you and many others and for those store owners it's all that matters for them.  If you and your customers are happy I wish you nothing but more success.  I'd rather focus on better stores with higher vend margins than debate over what payment structure works for each owner.

Todd Santoro
    President
    Omaha NE

• 14.  RE: Clean Show & CLA

Posted 06-26-2019 09:33
    I am sorry Todd ... but as Larry Adamski & some others have proven by irrefutable facts & actual experience ... I tend to compare your so-called facts to incomplete misleading questioning of fakish agenda oriented surveys.  I tend to read you & many other distributors as instead of "leading" ... just more or less "following" giving a blank check to just one of many lesser elements of the current culture.

One thing that concerns me is when one of us or a group of us or a hired lobbyist goes before one of our state legislative tax committees ... any arguments for keeping our rates more affordable will be dangerously less effective.   One side of our mouths will be saying don't tax our gross... but the other side is saying customers don't mind the needed pass along costs on the gross with the cashless format.  Something for the "mainstream media" to play with also very much to the detriment to us & our end customers!

One of the reasons ... that there is a delay on us guys at our humble King Koin Facility for buying new laundromat equipment is because of similar mindsets from the manufacturers & distributors that you have demonstrated & stated.  Our mindset is to rather go to great lengths coming up with ways of being able to use a wider range of better coin mechs on energy usage improved older equipment than fall for the lesser quality & choice of coin mechs that is now available on the current models ... as you say pre-ordered.  If the seller of these brand new machines refuse to make the spatial area & standardize the interface between their control boards etc for coin mechs .... I say as some of the non cozy "merchant fee" banking industry individuals on the "SHARK TANK" say ... I'm a NO GO at this point!

We know first hand the difference that coin mechs such as the MicroCoin QLs in our car wash make when it comes to customer acceptance.

Yesterday afternoon ...  there was a 39 year old lady-mom in the laundromat wearing a brace nursing her right hand-wrist carpal tunnel.  To her & others in a similar condition ... we are very careful not to bad mouth the ease of the use of dollar coins vs quarters or pretend like credit card or flashing a smart phone in front of machine use would be less stressful to her fragile wrist & tight budget.  Why ... I was concerned that her left hand could pack one powerful left hook potentially busting my nose or putting a serious permanent dent on my face etc!   BTW ... I am not kidding or stretching the truth about this injured but still feisty lady & many others!!!

MICHAEL WALSH www.kingkoin.com
    King Koin Laundry, Car n Dog Wash
    Bismarck ND

• 15.  RE: Clean Show & CLA

Posted 06-26-2019 09:59
    Michael, like I said, what works for you works for you and what works for others works for them.  If cashless payment continues to become the dominant form of payment it doesn't mean anyone is taking away dollar coin.  If the big brand(s) don't provide what you need then go with a smaller brand who may help foster improved technology across all brands.

You just have to be you and allow others to be them.

Todd Santoro
    President
    Omaha NE

• 16.  RE: Clean Show & CLA

Posted 06-26-2019 19:10
    Dave,
    This was my 7th Clean Show. I love the show and would hate to miss one. That being said, I've noticed the more I attend the harder it is to be impressed. My first show 12 years ago I walked away in awe. After 7 shows I walked away with two things. It's amazing the number of payment systems offered compared to just 6 years ago. There must have been a dozen. And I was very impressed and intrigued by the Electrolux Universal machines. There are still many questions as to price, training customers on use and pricing, etc.
    That being said, I think we may have seen the beginning of a new concept that just may change the laundromat industry as we know it today. When I was at the Electrolux booth, I was told by my distributor that the CEO of one manufacturer and a top executive of another manufacturer were actually seen attending the Universal presentation at the show. Afterwards, they were asked their thoughts and both were said to be impressed and one thought it was a game changer for the entire industry. I guess we will see.

Steve Lamiell
    Lake Cable & North Canton Laundromats
    Canton OH

• 17.  RE: Clean Show & CLA

Posted 06-26-2019 20:19
    Was looking at the pics of that Speed Queen. No push button to open door and split front panel to access drain, some engineer has been looking at Dexters again!!

CHRIS MIRISCIOTTA
    Canon Coin Laundry
    Canonsburg PA