CLA Connect Open Forum

GODFATHER GOT ROBBED BIG TIME...A lesson for ALL

• 1.  GODFATHER GOT ROBBED BIG TIME...A lesson for ALL

Posted 6 days ago
    Last Sunday morning around 545am....the Godfather got broken into...

The burglar tried the back steel doors but couldn't get past deadbolts but damaged locks beyond repair.

Next he tried first Front door like your typical metal frame glass facia. No luck. Then he tried door number 2 in front and somehow without damaging frame or glass got door open.

He knew where almost all camera are and walked past them. He opened office and first disconnected electric plug to alarm system and tried breaking the changer door. No luck. Next he went to camera system and thats it.

When i opened. The office is in a mess and CHANGER IS GONE along with cash in register.

He put the changer in our basket. Dragged it across apt behind mat where he had his car and left. He threw the Security hard drive in restaurant grease trap which we found after 4 hrs and were able to see last 15mins of what happened. All the camera wires are destroyed.

Well the Alarm company says that in older systems like mine 14yrs old. Once the sensor is tripped and before the 45sec timeout if the signal is interrupted by damaging the keypad or cutting power then thats it no alarm....do what !!!!

well i changed to new system where there is no entry delay at all. Lesson learnt.

------------------------------
    GODFATHER
    Clean 2019: June 20-23 - New Orleans

• 2.  RE: GODFATHER GOT ROBBED BIG TIME...A lesson for ALL

Posted 6 days ago
    Sorry to hear of your misfortunes.  First fire, business down, then this.  The ADT system I got 4 years ago can send text/email alerts via cellular when any sensor is tripped or offline, armed or disarmed.  Have to say that I'm impressed with their response as they are quick to call when I forget to check the cameras and late night customers set off the motion sensor.  Another reason to invest in 4k surveillance.

Chris Mallam
    Norfolk VA

• 3.  RE: GODFATHER GOT ROBBED BIG TIME...A lesson for ALL

Posted 5 days ago
    After reading this woke up this morning and my surveillance is not working. Thank God everything is OK but I was scared to death.
    You said that if the wires are cut that's it? Well that is just wrong! This has been a wake up call. I need to see if that is the way my system works. Sorry you had to go through this but thanks for the heads up.

Curt Harrington

• 4.  RE: GODFATHER GOT ROBBED BIG TIME...A lesson for ALL

Posted 5 days ago
    How are your changers mounted? One of ours is bolted to the floor, the other mounted into the wall. The wall mount is the most vulnerable but it is behind locked steel doors. So scary.

Gail Cole
    President
    Coastal Clean Laundry
    Leland NC

• 5.  RE: GODFATHER GOT ROBBED BIG TIME...A lesson for ALL

Posted 5 days ago
    In NYC, nearly every store has roll down gates. They do help prevent break ins through the front of the store.
    I prefer roll down grills. Yes, someone can hook a chain on a grill and yank it off with a truck, but that's not very common.
    Roll down grills look better, IMO, but more importantly, the cops can drive by and look into the store.

I also learned from experience to lock all doors after closing from the inside. We actually caught a guy who broke in through the roof and couldn't get back out. He tripped the alarm, the cops drove by and saw my drop ceiling hanging down. Then the cops sent in police dogs who found the guy hiding behind the dryers.

I went to court and he did 2 years. Guess what? When he got out, they gave me an order of protection from him.

Paulie B
    Multiple Mat Owner since 1976
    New York City, NY

• 6.  RE: GODFATHER GOT ROBBED BIG TIME...A lesson for ALL

Posted 5 days ago
    Our alarm is on a mobile device that calls the monitoring company and maintains a constant signal so they can tell if it goes down.

Maybe you can add vibration and glass break type monitoring to your doors and windows in order to set the alarms off before access is gained.

We have exterior cameras, so the suspect is monitored outside as well...but every system has it's weak points.

We had the same incident that Paulie described...they sent in the dog and captured the guy, then set off pepper spray in case anyone was hiding above because the perp told him he had a partner....nope.  He got 1 year probation and $1,000 restitution....still waiting at the mail box for that check.

LES MONTHEI
    MT VIEW LAUNDROMAT
    LAKEHEAD CA

• 7.  RE: GODFATHER GOT ROBBED BIG TIME...A lesson for ALL

Posted 5 days ago
    Les,
    This seems a prime example for "indentured servitude"
    His *derriere* is yours, until he works off the debt in full.

I can think of many hours of "useful" things to have him do (like cleaning sludge from drain sumps).
    And maybe he could be loaned to friends to clean out the sumps in their places too!

I'm cruel, I know, but having "taggers" clean walls of graffitti seems like just punishment as well.

DAVID CHAMLEE
    Service Technician since 1986
    and sometimes Laundromat Owner
    CCR
    Santa Barbara, CA

• 8.  RE: GODFATHER GOT ROBBED BIG TIME...A lesson for ALL

Posted 5 days ago
    We poured a slab base reinforced off our concrete slab floor to the correct height and installed 6 ea 3/4 foundation bolts out the top.  The change machines are mounted on top of the concrete base and bolted down.

LES MONTHEI
    MT VIEW LAUNDROMAT
    LAKEHEAD CA

• 9.  RE: GODFATHER GOT ROBBED BIG TIME...A lesson for ALL

Posted 5 days ago
    G.F
    When they success the first time they will come back for second time , You may consider a heavy ,thick stainless steel and plug lock change machine like Hamilton machine . you must install it like mine, there are two anchor bolts inside steel pipe, you can't see them.
    If someone wants to take my machines, first they have to pass the motion defector ,second they have to knock the solid block wall with steel rebars down , third they have to rip two anchor bolts off of concrete floor and finally they must take two machines at same time which they weight ~800 pounds .
    3XMpKke2Tnah9Q1BbhbG_54F32912-FD5B-45E2-BD17-82E274DE2320.jpeg

Linh Nguyen
    Cheetah Speed Wash
    Mobile AL

• 10.  RE: GODFATHER GOT ROBBED BIG TIME...A lesson for ALL

Posted 4 days ago
      |   view attached
    Well guys.... guess WHATTT !!!!!

Few days ago while opening mat.... i saw police at c-store across the street. Well i went there met owner and saw the tape.

At 410am..2 guys used same method to get in his front door like mine and he even had a latch shield on it. He has ADT system. They went straight to back room. And hit and broke his main control unit ... not his control panel...yanked all wires off etc.

DID NOT TOUCH ANYTHING. then took off and waited outside for 30min....ALARM not tripped and no one came.... at 445 came back and went to ATM spent 10-15mins on it. Got it open and took off with cash box. Plus they found secondary safe in back room and got that too.

I called my new Alarm co and again made sure if before the 45sec delay if they came in and broke panel the signal would still go. They said yes. They said once a sensor activates.. it waits to be shut off in 45sec or go off... if that doesnt happen the monitoring company will get a error message to see what and why.

Next i was pissed...i jumped on Mayor, city council guy and Police chief... well they assigned a special Detective for the Godfather and wanted to assure me that the city had the LOWEST RECORDED CRIME RATE LAST YEAR..... You all know what i wanted to say to the chief then but i hold my tongue.

Now someone has said that a particular person at a certain apt fits the description of the masked person which i forwarded to the police. Lets see if there is a follow up.

Plus my changer is now welded and bolted to ground and plus i have a steel bar welded across front which is attached by 2 more locks. So they will have to take the bar off first before they can open hopper door and that will buy some time AND i set my Alarm only by the app and that is set at NO ENTRY DELAY. In morning i again use App to turn it off, before i open.

Enjoy the video below !!!

GODFATHER

• 11.  RE: GODFATHER GOT ROBBED BIG TIME...A lesson for ALL

Posted 4 days ago
    Consider talking to your alarm Co. about installing vibration - glass break type systems on your exterior doors and windows for an early alarm.

LES MONTHEI
    MT VIEW LAUNDROMAT
    LAKEHEAD CA

• 12.  RE: GODFATHER GOT ROBBED BIG TIME...A lesson for ALL

Posted 4 days ago
    Bummer.  Sorry to hear.  Regardless of how well a store is secured and changers are mounted, I advise having a cellular based motion detector as a last line of defense.  I'm also a fan of lots of external lighting.  I had break-in issues at one store and the motion detector stopped them.

My Captain Obvious comment, this was a pro who knew your store very well.  Possibly somebody with an ax to grind...Who puts a DVR in a grease trap?   That's just evil  Better days ahead, I hope they catch the person and lock them up for a decent amount of time.

Paul Kludt
    Multi Store Owner
    Lake Worth Coin Laundry
    West Palm Beach, FL

• 13.  RE: GODFATHER GOT ROBBED BIG TIME...A lesson for ALL

Posted 4 days ago
    Another recommendation:  We have our security camera recording system locked in a vented area near the ceiling with a steel door and pad lock.  Don't make the system easy to find or easy to remove.

It might be worth advertising via sign that your video system records off-site as well to detract thieves that think they can access the on site hard drive and avoid capture.

LES MONTHEI
    MT VIEW LAUNDROMAT
    LAKEHEAD CA

• 14.  RE: GODFATHER GOT ROBBED BIG TIME...A lesson for ALL

Posted 4 days ago
    Some IP camera systems are setup in a way so there is real time both local & "in the cloud remote" recording.  A bit of redundancy if you will.

I agree ... a delay before alarm triggered or as alarm is sent can be critical when seconds or even a split second getaway is choreographed by the potentially highly skilled burglar.

I wonder if a designated unique sound from a phone notification with "Internet of Things Sensor" is faster than most alarm companies???

Blocking cell signals is a major criminal offense but if it was done ... I wonder if both use of a cell signal & also another means of notifying remotely would be worthwhile?

Michael Walsh www.kingkoin.com
    King Koin Laundry, Car n Dog Wash
    Bismarck ND