Open Forum

Surprise Control for Quarter Takers

• 1.  Surprise Control for Quarter Takers

Posted 07-09-2019 22:45

There is a regular customer who had his business catch on fire. Still needing clean clothes he brought black coins in for the washers. At first this did not make me happy. Then I realized they were mixing in with all the rest and being paid out for paper bills. And yes to those people who just come in for quarters. Now these things are ugly! So the people who do not want them can put them in the washers. And the other people are stuck with them. Quarter loss has gone down substantially.  I am just going to leave them in the mix for a while. They do have to go eventually as they really are not nice to look at.

------------------------------
    Curt Harrington
    Join CLA - Enjoy Membership Benefits

• 2.  RE: Surprise Control for Quarter Takers

Posted 07-10-2019 06:40
    Curt,

You know the old saying - "Give the people what they don't want and they'll stop beating a path to your door."  Or something like that.

Larry Adamski
    Muskegon Laundromat
    Muskegon, Michigan

• 3.  RE: Surprise Control for Quarter Takers

Posted 07-10-2019 06:56
    Edited by CURT HARRINGTON 07-10-2019 07:07
    Well...it's something like that. Kind of sort of.
    I am just happy that after all these years someone figured out a solution.
    Did I mention they are ugly? When I try to spend them people do not want to take them.
    Curt Harrington

• 4.  RE: Surprise Control for Quarter Takers

Posted 07-10-2019 16:02
    Several years ago someone posted that he put a sign on his change machine saying, "Payout from this changer may include up to 10% tokens that will work only in our machines."   Of course there were no tokens, but non-customer use of the change machine diminished.

Y Winston
    Y Winston Person
    Chesapeake VA

• 5.  RE: Surprise Control for Quarter Takers

Posted 07-11-2019 12:03
    When I am collecting quarter I take out all of the "ugly quarters."  I throw them in the change bucket that has all of the pennies, nickles and dimes customers have exchanged.  When my customers get quarters out of the change machine I want them to get nice, clean, shiny quarters.  It's a small thing, but it's just another way that the customer distinguishes my business from my competitors.

I like Winston's suggestion.  I think I might give that a try.

Laura Ridley
    Laura's Laundromat
    Mustang, OK

• 6.  RE: Surprise Control for Quarter Takers

Posted 07-11-2019 12:42
    If you are attendant even partially, install a remote power plug. You can get it for $10. Search amazon. If your attendant sees a non-customer he pushes a button on the remote and turns the changer off. The non-customer spends another 5 min feeding the bills into a non-working changer staring at the sign that reads "Change is for customers only." After a while they will leave without asking you any questions. Some will try to tell you that they have clothes in their car. Ask them to bring it in and put it in the washer which you will start for them with your quarters.

This eliminated the coin problem for our non-attendant laundry that we are converting to a partially attendant one. Doesn't have to be full time attendant. They will be humiliated on the first try and will not want to waste another trip to a non-working changer.

One tried to pull this one on me:
    "I am sorry but the changer is for customers only"
    "But the bank is closed!"

S P
    SSF Wash & Dry
    dffg CA

• 7.  RE: Surprise Control for Quarter Takers

Posted 07-11-2019 22:38
    I don't care if people use my changers.  I only cared on the first day 20-years ago, and I felt bad telling them the change was not for their use.  Never again.  I hope that on a day when they do need to do laundry they are familiar enough with my store that they will do their laundry here.  If I was told not to use the bathroom at a convenience store that I had previously shopped, I would never go back.

BRIAN DECOSTER
    Laundromania
    Iowa City IA

• 8.  RE: Surprise Control for Quarter Takers

Posted 07-11-2019 22:47
    Brian,

It may work for your audience. Here, when they clearly take quarters (by thousands per week) to use in apartment washers, this quickly becomes a big problem, when your changer runs out of coins.

S P
    SSF Wash & Dry
    dffg CA

• 9.  RE: Surprise Control for Quarter Takers

Posted 07-12-2019 22:36
    And don't forget the loved ones who need those commissary quarters to be spent in prison. You can never invite too many of those non customers into your place of business.

Curt Harrington

• 10.  RE: Surprise Control for Quarter Takers

Posted 07-12-2019 16:02
    You are a wise man.

KEVIN GREGORY
    KEVIN GREGORY Person
    Ourimbah

• 11.  RE: Surprise Control for Quarter Takers

Posted 07-13-2019 10:13
    If you can get your washing machines into the nearby apartments, you will welcome them to take your quarters.

Joe Copeland
    Store Owner
    Happy Bubbles Laundromat
    North Hollywood, CA
    www.BubblesCoin.com

• 12.  RE: Surprise Control for Quarter Takers

Posted 07-13-2019 11:43
    What I do is bring my bad quarters and loose change to a coin counting machine at my bank.
    you need to have a talk with this perpetrator of your quarters. Maybe have a discussion with the operator of the in apartments machines. Tell him you are no longer giving out quarters to non customers and advise him to get coin machine on site.

DENISE RUBENSTEIN
    Laundermagic of Patchogue
    Bayport NY

• 13.  RE: Surprise Control for Quarter Takers

Posted 07-13-2019 12:27
    Edited by MICHAEL WALSH 07-17-2019 18:31
    It seems like when we finally set our two 4 hopper changers that only give out dollar coins & quarters much more sparingly ... it will serve two purposes:

1. It will be less cozy for them than just getting mostly just quarters.

2. It will possibly give apartment & mobile court coin laundries to an incentive to also transition to dollar coins.  Maybe a few more certain bank people (coin police rascals among them) will get their ears blistered on their "impediments galore" coin policy from a larger segment of the population than just a few of us??

Towards a bit along with what Denise has in mind:  We are thinking a little healthy tension pointing to a "customers only" sign when we catch the non customers spending too much time in front of a changer cashing the dollar coins into quarters will also cure them & maybe send them to nearby quarters - credit card laundromat.  Who knows ... hopefully ... Good Lord Willing .... it will be put to the test soon in the next two months for us.

DCO like Larry A does would be even more effective along that line of Denise's approach.   Our specific place with the 905-1092 proven extractors & the planned 4 choices of number of fills on all of our washing machines makes us wary of turning off too many needed customers & potential customers.  We plan on encouraging people to simplify their lives by mostly just using dollar coins but not forcing them to use them.  The 6-11% merchant fee & added receptacle headaches should allow us to have much more attractive value-driven pricing.  Like I said ... time & hopefully effective effort will tell!

MICHAEL WALSH www.kingkoin.com
    King Koin Laundry, Car n Dog Wash
    Bismarck ND

• 14.  RE: Surprise Control for Quarter Takers

Posted 07-17-2019 17:38
    Just watched another woman come in for only coins. While it is sad I vend truly ugly coins I am willing to bet that woman will not be back? The coin taking has really really slowed down since the introduction of ugly coins.

Curt Harrington