CLA Connect Open Forum

LED Lighting

• 1.  LED Lighting

Posted 18 days ago
    I hope the fear of sharing will not apply to this request. If anyone has converted to the new LED lighting I for one would appreciate it if you would share your experience. First off, what color did you use and how did you like it? More importantly how do the customers like it?  How clean did it make clothes look? How many lumens did you use?  Did you use the strip type or the two foot by two foot style? Also, did you convert to 208V or just remain with 120V? How much did you save over the electronic T8's? Thanks in advance.

------------------------------
    Curt Harrington
    Clean 2019: June 20-23 - New Orleans

• 2.  RE: LED Lighting

Posted 18 days ago
    With the cost of LED lighting currently, its a no brainer.  All my stores have been covered over the last five years.  Most were retrofits of existing 4' florescent lamps.  The first store and larges went from 8' HO T-8s to LED.  I save about $400/mo from my prior electric bill with no other modifications for energy savings.

Go with 5000k, highest lumens available, direct wire lamps (remove the ballast)

Side benefit of LED - not getting a ladder out monthly to change florescent lamps.  Since changing to LED, I haven't had to change a lamp in any of the 400+ fixtures.

Timothy Foster
    Multi-
    Timothy Foster Person
    Toledo

• 3.  RE: LED Lighting

Posted 18 days ago
    Tim,

I agree.  LED lighting is a no-brainer.  Even better than the energy saving is the saving in lighting maintenance costs - both labor and parts.  I  have not worked on a troffer since converting to LED about 3 years ago. Love it, love it, love it.

Larry Adamski
    Muskegon Laundromat
    Muskegon, Michigan

• 4.  RE: LED Lighting

Posted 14 days ago
    I upgraded my stores last year and couldn't be happier.

One recommendation, for those in the thinking stage.  I was very worried about which of the Kelvin colors to use.  Right at the time I was working on this, there was another discussion here about that.  One member mentioned that though the higher Kelvin rating (5K) was "white", it made the colors of cumstomers clothes "pop".  I whole heartedly agree.  My customers say that their clothes are just cleaner at my stores and I really think thats because of the new 5K lighting.

We went with drop in replacement tubes into the existing fixtures as PG&E wouldn't rebate the ballast free replacements, at the time, due to safety concerns regarding people trying to put an old fluorescent bulb into the new fixture.  Either way, I can't be more happy with the savings in money, time and maintenance.

Just my humble $.02

Ben Blair
    Multi Store Owner
    BB's Laundromat
    San Pablo CA

• 5.  RE: LED Lighting

Posted 18 days ago
    Hi Curt, my small store was done about 1 1/2 years ago under an energy conservation program.  I went from T8 to 120 v 4' led bulb type.  These ones still have a ballast which wouldn't have been my first choice but it's what the program required here.  The ballasts were also replaced at the same time.  I believe the color is daylight and I went with the 5,000k.  The change was WOW a lot brighter almost to the point that I was afraid of what people would think but every comment was positive.  This store is 24 hour and I believe I have saved $70/ month.   I need to do another store that has twice the bulbs in it and I want to change the fixtures from the strip exposed 2 bulb to troffer lights and wonder if anyone has used the ones with the strips in them instead of bulbs.

Paul DeFrisco
    Multiple Store Owner
    Lakewood Laundromat
    Lakewood NY

• 6.  RE: LED Lighting

Posted 18 days ago
    Installed these about 9 months ago.  5000k.  Replaced T-8.

Saving about $100-$120/mo which is a 12- 14 mo ROI not to mention how much better the lighting is and how clean they look.

https://www.eledlights.com/led-lights/eled-indoor-lights/shop-by-type/led-drop-ceiling-panel-lights/45w-high-efficiency-2x4-led-panel-light.html

John McLaughlin
    Cruzin' Laundromat

• 7.  RE: LED Lighting

Posted 17 days ago
    Replaced the toffers in a store I purchased in 2015 with T-8s then a year later swapped all the stunts, removed the ballasts and installed (3) 4500k led tubes in each.  They are actually brighter than the T8s and saved a couple hundred a month on electricity.

Chris Mallam
    Norfolk VA

• 8.  RE: LED Lighting

Posted 17 days ago

I didn't figure out the actual savings but it can be done with just the posted numbers. LED's use less power.

In my case I replaced all of the 2x4 troffers in my existing stores and built my new stores with ones from the Home Depot. 

A few year ago you had to buy them by the pallet but they have them in stock now. These are not tubes but LED strips. They are a disposable fixture but in most cases can be swapped out faster than rewiring and removing the ballasts. Also all of the light is directed down. Most troffers are designed to reflect about 60% of the light from the top and upper sides of the tubes. 

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lithonia-Lighting-2-ft-x-4-ft-White-Integrated-LED-Lay-In-Troffer-with-Prismatic-Lens-2GTL4-A12-120-LP840/206519868

Ken Barrett
    Washin Oxford Coin Laundry

[EmailAddress]
    Anniston AL

• 9.  RE: LED Lighting

Posted 17 days ago
    1) Like everyone said, it's a no-brainer.  Huge savings that go on forever
    2) Don't replace the flourescents with LED replacements.  Buy the whole troffers from Home Depot and replace everything.  Do not keep the original fluorescent fixtures with ballasts.  These things are cheap, just put new ones in. Ballasts suck energy.
    3) I find 5000k to be too stark and blue.  I used 4000k.  But whatever floats your boat.  Use more troffers than you think you need, brighter is better.

This was the easiest/shortest payoff rehab project that I've done.  Haven't had a single one go out yet, they've been in for almost three years.

Luigi

• 10.  RE: LED Lighting

Posted 16 days ago
    Edited by Steven Matrix 16 days ago
    I haven't upgraded yet, but been thinking about it last couple years.  Would like to know the consensus of those that went with 4000k, did you try/test 5000k?  I understand 5000k makes the whites (laundry) look brighter and whiter.  Isn't that what we want?  More "wow" affect, the better?

Steven Matrix
    24-Hour Laundromat
    Phoenix, Arizona

• 11.  RE: LED Lighting

Posted 16 days ago
    Edited by Chris Mallam 14 days ago
    I also installed the troffers that Ken mentioned in another store.  4K on the right compared to the old T12s on the left which is close to 5K.  I like the warmth better as the higher Kelvin of the fluorescent feels cold and sterile.  One of the troffers is hard wired to a breaker as a security light and has been on 24/7 for 4 years now.

Chris Mallam
    Norfolk VA

• 12.  RE: LED Lighting

Posted 15 days ago
    Edited by Steven Matrix 15 days ago
    I went ahead and ordered the 4000k lights from Home Depot from the link above.  At $53 each x 25, it seemed like a steal.

Steven Matrix
    24-Hour Laundromat

• 13.  RE: LED Lighting

Posted 15 days ago
    I have looked at the Home Depot fixtures but the lumen output is only 3980 and my 2 light fluorescents are 6100 lumens.
    I figure I would need (25) 3980 lumen fixtures to equal my (16) 6100 lumen fixtures.
    Maybe I am wrong on my calculations? I am leaning towards putting in flat panels as I think they look much nicer.

• 14.  RE: LED Lighting

Posted 15 days ago
    You're not wrong.

My mistake was listening to my architectural engineer who stood by "code" which actually specifies the max number of lumens.

My store looks better than before, our electric bill is down a huge amount, but it certainly isn't as bright as it used to be.  It's not dark, but I wish I had upped the trouffers by maybe 1/3 and added some spot lighting.

I was in a new store that the guy had done really bright 5,000k spots (not trouffers) and the whole thing looked like a moonscape, harsh bluish light.

It's also very odd how they are designed.  These things (LED troffers) are just a strip of bright 18v LEDs.  You could power a whole store with one 110v:18v transformer, but each light has this aluminum structure taken straight from the fluorescent days, they each have their own transformer and are completely worth about $10, not the $55 they charge if you just did it right.

You can actually buy rolls of the LED lights for almost nothing on Amazon, I was going to set up a lot of indirect lighting under the machines and in nooks and stuff, but mounting is a challenge, so I gave up.

So much of our households and stores are driven by DC, I'm amazed we haven't moved to a DC distribution system in addition to our 110v.   Our lamplights are LED now (5v, 12v, or 18v), our televisions are DC, our computers are DC, our LED trouffers are DC, our alarm sensors are DC, our thermostats are DC...honestly, the only things that aren't DC anymore are appliances with motors and/or heating elements.  And by all rights, those should be 220v/3ph.

Luigi

• 15.  RE: LED Lighting

Posted 15 days ago
      |   view attached
    Here's a pic of the flat panels.

John M
    CARLSBAD, CA
    United States

• 16.  RE: LED Lighting

Posted 15 days ago
    LED has been advancing quickly.  I have thought that converting your old 2x4 fixtures to a non ballast LED bulb was a good idea as you can replace them as they improve and become less expensive.  However, the flat panel units are nice considering you don't get the bugs that will infiltrate your 2x4 fixtures.  At a larger commercial building we installed the 2 bulb LED 40 W 5K vapor tight fixtures to replace the old round fluorescent and get rid of the bug problems.

LES MONTHEI
    MT VIEW LAUNDROMAT
    LAKEHEAD CA

• 17.  RE: LED Lighting

Posted 15 days ago
    John M, would you share what type of flat panel you have?

• 18.  RE: LED Lighting

Posted 14 days ago
    As far as Luigi's LEDs comments,

We do not regret choosing to go the extra bright LEDs strips driven by 24VDC power supplies.  Ability to cut to size, angle & space precisely the extra directional LEDs is a gain in my opinion.  The more heat dissipation by being open & mounted on aluminum flats may extend the strips' lights.

As far as following Luigi's suggestion for one source of DC ... It seems like spacing the AC to DC power supplies minimizes the inherently more voltage drop from DC vs AC.

When we were playing around with the installation of the strips we did place a LED strip behind a polycarbonate shelf with a switch that can be turned on by whoever.  It is shown in the following picture not sure if both attaching & linking creates a duplicate though???

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Onss7ENa6QrZaqvb-15RNKo2dBVYfMv5/view?usp=sharing

Michael Walsh www.kingkoin.com
    King Koin Laundry, Car n Dog Wash
    Bismarck ND

• 19.  RE: LED Lighting

Posted 14 days ago
    Now in my new store, because of the high ceilings we went with these UFO lights.
    A big pack of LED's.
    I don't have the specs on them but they are bright

Ken Barrett
    Washin Oxford Coin Laundry

[EmailAddress]
    Anniston AL

• 20.  RE: LED Lighting

Posted 14 days ago
    Edited by John McLaughlin 14 days ago
    KJ,

I did a lot of searching for the LED's and decided to buy from https://www.eledlights.com/.  There were other companies I looked at but this company has a showroom in San Diego and I was able to meet with them and see the products.

My biggest concern with the panels is how they will fail when they finally do.  I assume I will have to replace the whole device rather than only a tube.  Considering, the cost vs troffers, the lighter weight of the units, the clean look and how long the technology claims to last I felt it was worth the risk having to replace the whole unit.

The other benefit to the LED's is I was able to run all my lights on one 15 amp circuit vs two which helped when I brought in new equipment.

I also added an occupancy sensor which turns my center lights out when no one is in the store.  Once someone comes in the lights turn on.  I think I am going to repurpose this sensor or add another to a re-circulating pump I am installing.  Since I am all tankless I don't want the heaters or pump running while there is no demand.  I think, by installing the occupancy sensor to the pump it will kick in when a customer enters the store and that will be enough time to prime the hot water to the machines prior to them starting a machine.

John M

• 21.  RE: LED Lighting

Posted 13 days ago
    John M quote: "I also added an occupancy sensor which turns my center lights out"

We have four large thermopane glass windows ... even though the windows are facing north we have that area's LESs shut off based on the darkness outside via a very accurate light sensor switch.  That is a way to tweak electrical consumption without the customers even noticing it since outdoor light through large windows has way more lumens than any indoor lighting.

Bismarck ND

• 22.  RE: LED Lighting

Posted 13 days ago
    Michael,

yeah, after I installed the sensor i calculated the energy cost savings and it is minimal on these LEDs.  Thats why I thought of connecting to the re-circulating pump.   On certain days, there are hours where no-one is in the store.  Only downside is that the local homeless like to use the store a hallway and cut through the store as a short cut.  However, I think the sensor has a delay feature which will activate when there has been activity for a period of time.  Say 30 sec.

We'll see how that goes.

John M
    CARLSBAD, CA
    United States

• 23.  RE: LED Lighting

Posted 12 days ago
    We converted all of our stores to LED using an energy saving rebate offered by Dule Energy. I don't remember the details as this was a few years ago now. I do know that they covered over 80% of the cost due to the energy savings of being 24 hr stores. Our ROI for the small portion that we paid was something ridiculous like 5 months I believe. Our energy bill went down about $200 month at each store, yup that's $800 bucks in my pocket every month now. I don't remember which bulbs we used but our stores has never looked brighter,  cleaner and safer!! This may be the biggest no brainer in the world for a mat. Definitely recommend!! 

Dave Menz
    Queen City Laundry Chain
    https://www.queencitylaundry.com
    Laundry Magician Pickup & Delivery
    https://www.laundrymagician.com
    Cincinnati, OH

• 24.  RE: LED Lighting

Posted 4 days ago

You were typing that while I was typing my answer.  Yes, it is very hard to get LED lights that put out equivalent lumens to fluorescent.   You have to do the math.  I did the math and argued with my engineer, he told me that there was an actual maximum number of lumens allowed by code in a commercial space and that the plans could get turned down.

I did what he said and wish I had put my foot down and just overdid it.

Luigi

• 25.  RE: LED Lighting

Posted 5 days ago
    Check with your local utility, there may be big incentives for upgrading.  In our area they base the rebate on how much less electricity you will save.  The incentives can run as high as 100%, including installation.  My last upgrade was around $50 each for 5000k 2x2's, including install.  i Don't know about other areas, but check your bill, if there is some type of energy efficiently tax, chances are that it is going to a fund to provide these rebates.

Paul Hansen
    President
    ILCLA
    Su Nueva Lavanderia
    Palos Heights IL

• 26.  RE: LED Lighting

Posted 5 days ago
    I upgraded all 25 troffers with 4000k lighting and I'm a bit disappointed with the light quality.  I was expecting lighter and brighter, but it's the same exact quality of light as with the fluorescents.  Zero improvements.  I wish I had went with the 5000k lights now, more blue light... and customer white clothes appearing whiter.

Steven Matrix
    24-Hour Laundromat
    Monmouth OR

• 27.  RE: LED Lighting

Posted 4 days ago
    Edited by Michael Walsh 4 days ago
    Steven & others,

We almost signed a local lighting company's bid on a complete LED replacement of fluorescents of our laundromat around 4 years ago.  We wisely insisted that they give us addresses of similar installs as to what they proposed for us.

We invested in a light-lumens meter & went to one of their completed jobs at a convenience store.  That was a smart move because the light level on the meter showed to be lower than our existing fluorescent tubes!!!  That was back in 2015.  Somewhat disgusted ... we went ahead & turned it into a DIY project cutting extra bright quad LED strips & properly sizing & installing 24VDC power supplies ourselves ... that allowed us to save even more by using one of our light sensors to shut off by our four large 4 foot square thermopane windows during bright sunlight days.   Time will tell how good of a move it was but I am optimistic considering the strips were installed on aluminum flats & in open air.  I am thinking that will definitely help keep less deterioration from generated heat from when the LEDs are on.

64 square feet of outdoor light coming in is not something that should be wasted unnecessarily it seems .....  I wonder if any laundromats use skylights ? ..... there is something special about natural lighting IMHO.  It was kind of pathetic ... the local  company's boss & personnel ... did not even listen to my perspective & suggestions or even acknowledging the  potential from natural lighting savings.   I guess the boss did try to tell me that the additional cost to their bid would be prohibitive ... even though I told him that we already had the super accurate light sensor from within our polycarbonate dog wash & adding a simple relay would be a no-brainer!!!

To be fair .... there has been LED advances made in the last four years .... so what I am saying may no longer apply???

Bismarck ND

• 28.  RE: LED Lighting

Posted 4 days ago
    I suspect your problem has nothing to do with color of light:  you didn't inject enough lumens into your store, regardless if it was 4000k or 5000k.

Fluorescent fixtures are energy inefficient (well, relatively, they replaced incandescent, so they are efficient compared with what they replaced) but the energy inefficiency paid off in huge illumination.  Those things, per square foot, pump out a huge number of lumens.  Almost certainly more than the trouffers you replaced them with, or at a minimum, the same.

I replaced an ungodly number of eight-foot end-to-end fluorescent fixtures with an "engineered" number of LEDs and my lighting isn't bright enough.

I gave advice above about going overboard and adding 50% to your plan.

To summarize:  you need MORE light, not a different color light.  We all do.

What were your flourescent fixtures putting out in terms of lumens (the ones you removed) and what number of lumens did your replacement troffers put out?

If you didn't do that math, now is the time, I think you're going to have an "aha!" moment when you compare lumens before/after.

Luigi

• 29.  RE: LED Lighting

Posted 4 days ago
    This is very interesting to me. I'm not a lighting expert but I do know our stores must be very very well lit. When our electrician ran numbers he recommended X number of fixtures with 4 bulbs each fixture. I pushed back and told him we needed 50% more. He told me I was crazy and that it'd be "too bright" and a waste of energy. I insisted almost to the point of firing him and he got my message and did what we asked. Now our stores are lit up like a Christmas tree and it's awesome. Customers love it, everything looks cleaner, it's safer and I've still saved a lot of $ with the conversion to LEDs.

Dave Menz
    Queen City Laundry Chain
    https://www.queencitylaundry.com
    Laundry Magician Pickup & Delivery
    https://www.laundrymagician.com
    Cincinnati, OH

• 30.  RE: LED Lighting

Posted 4 days ago

This is very interesting to me. I'm not a lighting expert but I do know our stores must be very very well lit.
    Dave Menz,  05-15-2019 10:20
    Dave, I absolutely agree. It's better to err on the side of too much lighting than not enough.

I'll even go one step further....Make sure you have a little more lighting over your folding tables to give a nice bright boost to your customer's finished laundry as they are folding it.
    After all, if they feel their laundry looks brighter in your mat, you have an edge.

Paulie B
    Multiple Mat Owner since 1976
    New York City, NY

• 31.  RE: LED Lighting

Posted 4 days ago
    Edited by Michael Walsh 4 days ago
    Dave & Paulie comments kind of brings me to ask the following question:

Has anyone installed the type where a dimmer can be efficiently used???  That would help address Dave's expert electrician's concern about unnecessary waste ... it seems.

We still have more extra bright LED strips to prepare - install & finally use .... including in a lower ceiling back room equipment room.  I bought some compatible dimmers that we we have the ability to vary the light level as needed.   Since LEDs are more directional than other lighting we also plan to have a way to pivot the direction of the lumens a wee bit as needed.  Long term ... some of what I suggested & put in practice here & on previous posts LEDs wise could make sense it seems.

no no no ... say some of us with the gov't handout freebie mindset.   wee-dey are  disappointed .... that dee above approach may not meet the specific requirements (red tape) the gov't may or may not have.

Bismarck ND

• 32.  RE: LED Lighting

Posted 4 days ago
    Edited by Larry Adamski 4 days ago
    Guys,

I think lighting and air conditioning both fall into the category of "more is better".  Industry outsiders don't  fully understand a laundromat's need for extra lighting or extra air conditioning.

When my laundromat was converted to LED via a state sponsored program, Mr. Installer removed the 4 T8 bulbs and the ballast.  He put in 2 LED bulbs.  I  warned him immediately that this would not work.  He said, "try it for a week and see how you feel then."  In less than a week, I told him that he had to add 2 more LED bulbs per fixture which he did.  Then he billed me for the additional bulbs.  I  told him that I would feel very comfortable letting a judge decide if replacing 4 bulbs with 2 bulbs was a reasonable conversion.  We ended up settling for a few bucks more.

Larry Adamski
    Muskegon Laundromat
    Muskegon, Michigan

• 33.  RE: LED Lighting

Posted 4 days ago
    Has anyone experimented with different light colors on different sections of the store? 4000k where there are no folding tables and 5000k where there are, or something to that effect?

One of my competitors has one 5000k bulb and I can see the difference when I am beneath that one bulb.  So the different colors are noticeably different. Wondering if amplifying the before and after brightness of a customers laundry might help business.

Joe
    Azusa, CA

• 34.  RE: LED Lighting

Posted 4 days ago

I think lighting and air conditioning both fall into the category of "more is better".  Industry outsiders don't  fully understand a laundromat's need for extra lighting or extra air conditioning.
    Larry Adamski,  05-15-2019 12:50
    Preach it brother!

Luigi

• 35.  RE: LED Lighting

Posted 4 days ago
    Edited by Steven Matrix 4 days ago
    Being a bit disappointment by lack of "brighter" light in our mat when we changed to 4000k lights, I wish I had went with the 5000k light to make colors more whiter.  The lack of light in our mat is definitely not the issue.  We have plenty of light.  Our entire store front is all glass in sunny Arizona.

Steven Matrix
    24-Hour Laundromat

• 36.  RE: LED Lighting

Posted 3 days ago
    Edited by Michael Walsh 2 days ago
    Steven & others,

Just thinking out loud:  I wonder if anybody has seen where it made sense to buy new lenses that cover the troffers?  If so, I wonder if there is such a thing as lenses that actually change the color of the light.

It probably would be easier to alter from 5000K to 4000K if possible via the lens than vice versa ... because when I was specifying our color choice ... it seems like it was explained to me that with the higher the K number there would be slightly more actual lumens too as the light got bluer.  I remember posting on the CLA forum about 4 years ago that I actually had the option to turn everything in the laundromat to have a dominant blue tint with the extra super bright quad LED strips that I chose depending on how high of a K number I chose!!!

Bismarck ND

• 37.  RE: LED Lighting

Posted 3 days ago
    Michael,

You bring up a good point. My grandmother used bluing to make the whites look whiter. It has been a few years but I think it was Watkins Bluing. She even had a washboard next to the washer for stubborn stains.

Curt Harrington

• 38.  RE: LED Lighting

Posted 3 days ago
    For the most part, 4,000k vs 5,000k is up to the personal look that you are seeking for your mat.

I had one mat that had mostly earth tones in it so the 4,000k worked out fine for that color scheme.

I had another store where I installed 5,000k because the store's basic coloring was more white, stainless, and mauve accents.
    Personally, I definitely prefer the 5,000k. They call 5,000k a "daylight" bulb for a reason....It mimics daylight. You get more "pop" for the lumens, and like Curt says, the slight bluish tint will make your customer's whites look whiter. Especially over the folding tables.

There's also another less tangible benefit to having a WELL lit store with Daylight bulbs....They help ward off depression.
    A well lit store could even help with your worker's attitudes, not to mention your customers finding your mat more appealing but yet are not sure why.

It's all about making customers feel good about your mat, and ample lighting that mimics real daylight is just another plus.

https://www.tuck.com/light-therapy/

That said, I did try 6,000k in a back room and it was horrible....way too blue. A cold feeling.

Paulie B
    Multiple Mat Owner since 1976
    New York City, NY

• 39.  RE: LED Lighting

Posted 2 days ago
    Paulie B & others,

And just because the Blue Man Group entertainers have stellar reviews on Google doesn't mean that applies to our much more "serious" down to earth laundromat clientele!

Bismarck ND