Open Forum

Huebsch stack dryers.

• 1.  Huebsch stack dryers.

Posted 11 days ago
    I have a dryer that has me stumped. It will heat just fine for a couple of months, then will stop heating. If I change the spark box, it will work but then not. I have changed the thermostats, coils, ice cube, and everything else connected to the electrical system, but apparently the problem is not resolved.
    I would appreciate any thoughts on this problem.

--
    Carol Scott
    PlanetLaundry Podcasts - Listen Now!

• 2.  RE: Huebsch stack dryers.

Posted 11 days ago
    Whats the model and first 6 of serial number?

I have lots of Alliance dryers.  I had an odd ball that took about a year to figure out.  It was the heat circuit from the computer (HT075, 2011).  The voltage would slowly drop from the computer. The difficulty was when you start diagnosing the problem everything worked fine.  Once we 'knew' all components were fine, it took testing the computer for extended runs.  Very frustrating!   Replaced the computer and no more intermittent heat problem.  Intermittent heat errors are the most difficult to pin-point.

------------------------------
    Timothy Foster
    Multi-
    Laundry Express
    Toledo OH

• 3.  RE: Huebsch stack dryers.

Posted 11 days ago
    When you say ice cube that tells me about what year it is. I have one of those! The bottom one in the corner. It has been like that for quite a while. Same thing. It will start and run fine as long as you are looking at it. Just don't walk away or it will quit working properly. It will soon be leaving my building!
    In the mean time check the switch in your motor. It is low voltage so lint remains in the contacts. A paperclip in the connector will be a good test. Or you can go further back and wire nut the wires together for the test. Just make sure you are dealing with the correct wires. The switch has smaller gauge wires as it is just a control circuit.

Curt Harrington

• 4.  RE: Huebsch stack dryers.

Posted 10 days ago
    Thank you. I now have two new ideas to tease out!

Carol
    carol scott Person
    West ChesterPA

scottscottscottscottscott

• 5.  RE: Huebsch stack dryers.

Posted 10 days ago
    I'm glad I'm not alone. My model is  DTCK9712059400.

So perhaps I should test it by changing out the computer board. Thank you.

Carol
    carol scott Person
    West ChesterPA

scottscottscottscottscott

• 6.  RE: Huebsch stack dryers.

Posted 10 days ago
    I had a similar problem and after cleaning the vents thoroughly, I mean taking even the fan out cleaning the shroud, getting all that build up lint out of the whole exhaust vents the flaps the box before the exhaust pipe, the problem has not come up again. For some reason a sensor apparently was triggered thinking it had an exhaust problem.  There is a video form a distributor that the tech mentioned there were nests outside the vent exhaust and after he cleaned them the problem was fixed. That gave me the idea to clean the vents as a last resort because all the parts I changed did not fix the problem and for about 6 months now the machine runs perfectly.

In my opinion the vents were not that dirty but they did have a lot of film form dryer sheets.

Try it, I bought a brush to clean wheels on line and an extender and used my drill it worked grate and I did all my driers in 3 days doing 3 driers per day.  My driers have a top and bottom dryer so it took about 4 hours a day to do 3 sets a day.  I did find the T30 driers were dirtier than the T45.

Good luck and let us know.

F Salas
    Freedom Laundry
    Denison TX

• 7.  RE: Huebsch stack dryers.

Posted 9 days ago
    Interesting!
    I wouldn't be surprised if that were the problem. These are old dryers and I doubt the owner before us cleaned out the vents. We had them checked when we bought, and they told us they were clean and didn't need it. But I will begin with the assumption that the pipes are only part of the problem.

Thank you.

Carol
    carol scott Person
    West ChesterPA

ScottScottScottScottScott

• 8.  RE: Huebsch stack dryers.

Posted 8 days ago
    If it is the vents, remember the sensor shutting them down is inside the machine not in the vent.  When you clean them make sure you unplug them and take the fan motors out take the blades off and clean them.  Then clean the area where the fan goes, the vents inside the machine which in mine are square and if you can take the pipe out of the top and clean the vent on the machine under where the pipe connects to the machine.  Mine is a stack drier so it had flaps that close when that machine is not on and on top of that I did notice a lot of built up lint.  All this areas have access panels which come out with screws. The metal can be sharp so ware gloves.  Make sure the brush is soft enough not to hurt any of the sensors or thermistor. Use a vacuum and air compressor when you can and put it back together. I found once you cleaned the machine it is best to clean the vent pipe with the drill brush and have the machine on that way it blows all the lint out of the pipe.  Make sure you ware a mask as there will be lots of lint everywhere.  If it is hot where you are maybe clean the one that is giving you problems and then clean the rest when the outside temperature is easier on your body.  Here the sun will beat you in the summer.  So those are fall and spring chores.

Good luck

These are the brushes I bought that worked well.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078895LKN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Extension bit:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001LQYJO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Vent pipe cleaning brush:
    https://www.amazon.com/Gardus-RCH205-B-SootEater-Chimney-Cleaning/dp/B0010H5JXA/ref=sr_1_6?crid=1DMESR3VBR12P&dchild=1&keywords=chimney+cleaning+brush&qid=1596140917&sprefix=chiminy+clean%2Caps%2C247&sr=8-6

F Salas
    Freedom Laundry
    Denison TX

• 9.  RE: Huebsch stack dryers.

Posted 8 days ago

It's true that ALOT of things can cause intermittent heat.  Over the years I've had many of these problems that are itemized in these posts, including one time I actually had a PARTIALLY blown glass buss fuse, the metal was splayed inside the glass allowing some continuity, that caused a voltage drop through the fuse.....didn't think that was even possible.  Whatever you TRY....swapping a suspect part with the machine next to it, to see if the problem follows....is a tried and true practice.

However, I'm a fan of the principle of Occums Razor, so I'd recommend going through the most common and probable first.
    You mentioned you replaced "everything connected to the electrical system".  I'm unsure how to interpret this, so I will recommend first focusing on the HEAT CIRCUIT, sometimes called the SAFETY CIRCUIT.  This is the (usually) low voltage 24VAC circuit that has a number of things wired in series that if any ONE of them fails, you will not get power to the ignition module, and no heat.

Common culprits IN the heat/safety circuit are as follows:
    - centrifugal switch located IN the motor, this was mentioned in one of the posts.  This is a Common problem with Huebsch dryer motors.  Personally, if it was me, I would unscrew the aluminum plate on the motor and JUMP this switch, at least for a few months to see if it fixed the problem.  If I remember correctly, it is commonly the (white with brown wire - to the - brown with white wire) that needs to be jumped.  Many here may find this solution unpalatable and perceive some safety issue.  I guess I disagree that it is a very big deal considering all the redundancies designed in for safety, but I truly RESPECTFULLY disagree.
    - sail switch,  I've had many intermittent sail switch issues over the years.  It's a low voltage switch, not alot of current push. And it's in a rotten dirty environment.
    - thermostats.......sure these go out, and I've replaced many.  But it is NOT the most common problem with these dryers, IMO.  Some dryers have self-resetting hi-limit thermostats that could certainly cause this issue if you are seeing hi heat intermittently.
    - Ignition module, you said you swapped this so this is not apparently the problem, but if you hadn't....this would be a suspect
    - Signal coming from the computer.  Someone here said they had this problem, but I would suspect that your problem is NOT this.
    - Here's another idea.....the flame sensor at the spark plug, it's job is to take a small voltage back to the ignition module to let the module know that the burner is on.....and to keep it on!    The MERCAPTAN that they put in the natural gas, to make it smell bad, can coat the flame sensor rod over time and keep it from working properly.  I've fixed these problems in the past simply by taking out the flame sensor and running coarse steel wool over it, or sandpaper to remove the mercaptan coating.  Sandpaper worked a little better if I remember correctly.
    Geeeezesss theres probably a number of other things I'm not thinking about right now.  Good luck dude.

DAVE HAGSTROM
    owner
    Cedarwood Laundromat
    Rochester MN

• 10.  RE: Huebsch stack dryers.

Posted 8 days ago
    oh yea,
    the ice cube is in this circuit as well.
    but....its a 3 pole switch I think...and it usually fails on the 120VAC pole, where the contacts weld together, that keeps the basket rotating nonstop, not the 24VAC heat circuit pole.  I doubt this is the problem.

DAVE HAGSTROM
    owner
    Cedarwood Laundromat
    Rochester MN

• 11.  RE: Huebsch stack dryers.

Posted 6 days ago
    One of my Huebsch dryer did the same thing.  By chance, I found out it would only handle OEM gas coils.  OEM as in the $50 each versus the generic $10 ones.  Be sure to replace both of them

Scott (aka Paco)
    NorthsideCoinLaundry.com | SaginawLaundry.com
    Ft Worth, TX
    "Where the wash begins"

• 12.  RE: Huebsch stack dryers.

Posted 6 days ago
    Brilliant post Dave. I will be saving your list. Thank you for doing my homework for me. ;)

Carol
    Gay Street Laundry[

West Chester PA

• 13.  RE: Huebsch stack dryers.

Posted 5 days ago
    Dave,

A voltage drop in a fuse? That is a new one for me. I have seen intermittent contact causing it to be open or closed depending on how you held your jaw but never a voltage drop. The older I get the less I understand. Something to look for down the road.

Curt Harrington