Open Forum

Too Close to Laundromat Bicycle Traffic?

• 1.  Too Close to Laundromat Bicycle Traffic?

Posted 27 days ago
    I am thinking that some laundromat owner-operators have sidewalks close to where their customers exit.  Especially the customers who park along the laundromat's street.  Does anyone else worry about bicyclers who keep riding instead of temporarily dismounting on pertinent sidewalks ... some riding very fast on the sidewalk possibly crashing into an unsuspecting customer who chose to use street parking?  Our large plate glass always clear windows on the sidewalk side help the blind spot factor ... but I still worry.  Not sure what action can be taken?  Any advice along that line?

The 96 page of minutia legalese Code & more Code for our locality's streets, boulevards & sidewalks seem to reference in the downtown are as a violation but not sure on away from the city center.  If it is a violation ... I wonder if most localites treat bicycling something less enforced such as jay walking exceptions?

If signs are put up but never enforced ... I am thinking the laundromat owner-operator's sign might not do any good.

------------------------------
    MICHAEL WALSH www.kingkoin.com
    King Koin Laundry, Car n Dog Wash
    Bismarck ND
    Join CLA - Enjoy Membership Benefits

• 2.  RE: Too Close to Laundromat Bicycle Traffic?

Posted 27 days ago
    Not sure of the actual layout, but a private sign might help in a liability situation even if they don't read or obey it if it is positioned properly.  The City should do what they can with signage as far as providing bike signage for the sidwalk.  A Pedestrian Exit sign and a Watch for Bike Traffic sign placed conspicuously may help avert an incident.

LES MONTHEI
    MT VIEW LAUNDROMAT
    LAKEHEAD CA

• 3.  RE: Too Close to Laundromat Bicycle Traffic?

Posted 26 days ago
    Michael, you have such strange experiences around your Laundromat. Call your local police agency and ask if bicycles can legally be used on City sidewalks. Most cities don't allow bicycles, skateboards and roller blades:skates to be used on public walkways.

If I had your concerns I'd post a sign with the following type of messages;

1. No bicycle riding on public sidewalks. It scares the horses.
    2. CAUTION. Riding bicycles on public sidewalks attracts wild bison attacks and also violates City regulations.
    3. Chains required for any bicycle using public walkways when snow is present. Use the streets please.
    4. CAUTION. Riding on public sidewalks is illegal in the City. Use the street or risk being pushed off your bike by an angry Laundromat customer.
    5. Anyone riding their bicycle, or using a skateboard or roller blades on my sidewalk is subject to a quick trip to my car wash for a water experience to help remember City rules and regulations on bicycle use on sidewalks.

You get the idea, have a little fun. Your customers may enjoy a little tongue-in-cheek humor and maybe one in ten bicycle riders will get the idea and stop riding on your sidewalk.

Larry Larsen
    Laundromat123.com
    Anaheim, CA
    Distributor - Insurance - Consulting
    Cell: (714) 390-9969

• 4.  RE: Too Close to Laundromat Bicycle Traffic?

Posted 26 days ago
    Funny story.  We actually had a gentleman riding his bike drunk (surprised?) inside our location one evening.  It didn't end well.  He crashed through the plate glass window from the inside and landed out on the sidewalk.  Not a scratch on the sucker!  Police booked him and he wound up paying for the damage but it was still a major pain in the butt.

FRANK MURPHY
    BUBBLE IT INC
    Ayer MA