Open Forum

Thinking of changing from being open 24/7 to 7AM-11PM

• 1.  Thinking of changing from being open 24/7 to 7AM-11PM

Posted 08-13-2019 16:11
    Edited by IRA NACHAMIE 08-13-2019 16:21
    Hey,
    I have been running my laundromat for about a dozen years. When I bought it, the previous owner was open 24/7, so I kept it that way.  It used to be busy at night but things have changed. From Sunday night 12:00 PM to 7:30 AM Monday morning, I did $65.
    And from Monday night 12PM to 7:30 AM Tuesday morning I did $45.
    When it was busier and I thought about closing at midnight but I figured, my night guy cleaned the store, vacuumed the dryers, cleaned the lint screens at the end of my  3 rows of washers. (One metal screen at the end of each row).

Did the rest of the cleaning for the next day, and was open for customers to pick up and drop off  W&F &  Dry Cleaning at any hour.

Now it has just gotten quiet.
    So I am thinking of changing the store hours.
    I liked knowing that the store was open on time in the morning, since the night person doesn't leave until relieved by the morning shift attendant, and that the store was clean from the start. But now with business slowing down and  with the expenses going up, is it the right move.

Does any one know what the % of the utilities I would be saving?
    Plus the salary savings.  Does this make sense?
    what other expenses would be effected?
    There are 4 small smaller stores around me that close in the PM, I have 50 washers and 25 Stacks, compared to the other stores  with 15-20 washers?
    Will I lose day business by closing at night?
    There are a few 24 hour stores about 2/3 avenues away, (in Brooklyn,  the walk of 3 blocks equals the walk from 1 ave to the next)
    They do not seem to be busy at the graveyard shift either.

Anyway, any thoughts or ideas and  experiences  are very appreciated.

Thanks

------------------------------
    Jimedean
    Brooklyn NY
    Maytag - Sponsored Webinar September 17, 2019

• 2.  RE: Thinking of changing from being open 24/7 to 7AM-11PM

Posted 08-13-2019 17:07
    Edited by CURT HARRINGTON 08-14-2019 06:13
    Not familiar with your area but it seems all the creatures from the lagoon crawl out from under rocks at night. Just last night these drunk females came in so late the woman closing had to stay till 12:00. Even after the previous customer involved the Police.
    My doors unlock at 5:40 (sad to say but you can not depend on people to unlock the doors) and often there are people waiting. The posted hours are open 6:00 AM Last wash 9:30 PM Last dry 10:00 PM. That gives them time to leave before the cleaning person hast to stay past 11:00. Well it does work most of the time. Wanna be gangsters. What kind of guy would want that? Hope they never come back!
    Just spoke to closing woman. There were 3 to begin with but one got arrested leaving the other 2 to give her a hard time. Now this is the most decent person you have ever met in your life. However she does know how to take care of business. That is why she closes without any issues. Had those 2 actually started something serious she would have known how to finish it. (You did ask for experiences),
    If you are closed from 11 to 6 you will not be getting any phone calls. That alone should make you happy.
    Curt Harrington

• 3.  RE: Thinking of changing from being open 24/7 to 7AM-11PM

Posted 08-14-2019 12:45
    I compete with 24/7 stores in most of my markets and blow their doors off. Being a retired cop, the Hassel of dealing with night zombies is not worth the cost. I auto unlock at 0500 and lock at 11p. My legit customers can adequetly do their laundry during those hours. I'm not fully attended (0900 to 2000) and people can let themselves out and are welcome to finish their laundry after hours. I've never understood the "last wash in by x time" signs.

JASON GRAHAM
    Midway Laundry
    Laundryland
    Washington State

• 4.  RE: Thinking of changing from being open 24/7 to 7AM-11PM

Posted 08-14-2019 20:35
    Jason,

You should thank your lucky stars that you have not had any issues with people letting themselves out. Before I had the closing person lock the doors I had a push button to open the door. Only problem is the people who wanted a place to spend the night did not push it.

Curt Harrington

• 5.  RE: Thinking of changing from being open 24/7 to 7AM-11PM

Posted 30 days ago
    I agree with Jason for most of his post.  I don't compete with too much 24/7 in my area.  Most of the other stores have people physically coming to lock and unlock, so most of the stores around me have signs for last wash.  Not a good fit for me.  My doors also unlock at 5am and auto lock at 11pm.  Customers also can come just before 11pm and stay until they are done.  I deal with occasional overnight guests trying to sleep, but for the most part, it works for me.

I do feel like I am potentially on call all of the time.  I can choose to not answer, but I usually answer and address problems when they come up to save me a headache later.  It doesn't happen a lot, but if I had the choice I would be fully attended and let the attendants manage all of the problems and close the doors at night.  But, I like making money.  And my unattended laundromat lets me make money.  Paying for people to clean works for me.  Paying for people to be there 130 hours a week wouldn't leave much money for me.

Shawn Ray
    Store Owner
    Janesville, WI

• 6.  RE: Thinking of changing from being open 24/7 to 7AM-11PM

Posted 28 days ago

What kind of locking system do you have at your store. I've been looking for and auto locking system.

Barbara Abrams
    Hickory, NC

Barbara Abrams
    Cleanwave Hickory
    Hickory ,NC

• 7.  RE: Thinking of changing from being open 24/7 to 7AM-11PM

Posted 21 days ago
    What kind of auto locks do you have?
    thanks
    Randy

Randy Perise
    The Wash House
    Ponchatoula LA

• 8.  RE: Thinking of changing from being open 24/7 to 7AM-11PM

Posted 08-13-2019 19:02
    You should be able to figure out your main variable costs and I would compare that to the revenue over 1 full year before I made a change.  However, if it looks like you aren't netting enough on the overnight hours during the week you could always just open 24 hours from Friday AM to Sunday night.

James DeLeo
    NY / NJ

• 9.  RE: Thinking of changing from being open 24/7 to 7AM-11PM

Posted 08-13-2019 23:23
    Labor is probably your biggest variable cost you'll save by reducing hours and it seems like the money you bring in during that graveyard shift doesn't cover the cost of having a person there.  You'll save a little bit on utilities, maybe 10-15% of your HVAC cost and a similar amount on your electric lights.  I like James' idea of looking at it over a longer period; maybe it makes sense to run 24 hours over the weekend.  Based on just your revenue and labor costs, it sounds like scaling back hours makes financial sense IMO.  I know there are a lot of 24 hour people out there.  Every store and market is different, and while it might work well for others, it might not be the best idea for you. There are no works 100% of the time answers in life.  Best of luck.

Paul Kludt
    Multi Store Owner
    Lake Worth Coin Laundry
    West Palm Beach, FL

• 10.  RE: Thinking of changing from being open 24/7 to 7AM-11PM

Posted 08-14-2019 16:20
    Edited by MICHAEL WALSH 26 days ago
    Jimedean & others,

Based on a previous 24/7 discussion ... it could very be that your insurance rates will go down.  Not to jump to conclusions but in our city ... 24/7 laundromats are the ones that had at least 2 & its seems like there were 3 major fires.  Not sure on what the overall national &/or worldwide statistics are for 24/7 laundromats when it comes to add'l claims.  Being 8AM-10PM facility ... We really would not want our premiums increased by my other laundromats' 24/7 higher claim rates.

NYC might be a completely different set of circumstances for 24/7... not sure???
    MICHAEL WALSH www.kingkoin.com
    King Koin Laundry, Car n Dog Wash
    Bismarck ND

• 11.  RE: Thinking of changing from being open 24/7 to 7AM-11PM

Posted 28 days ago
    Barbara,

I have had several aftermarket door locks that have caused problems. See if the manufacturer of your door makes one for their doors. Then connect it DC as AC will have that buzzed in noise.

Curt Harrington

• 12.  RE: Thinking of changing from being open 24/7 to 7AM-11PM

Posted 28 days ago
    Thank you Curt have thought to ask them.

Barbara Abrams
    Cleanwave Hickory
    Hickory ,NC

• 13.  RE: Thinking of changing from being open 24/7 to 7AM-11PM

Posted 28 days ago
    Hey Jimedean,

Do the $65 & $45 cover the labor & other costs for those nights? Also, do your w&f customers actually pick up between 12a and 7:30a? If not it sounds like closing at 11 and opening at 7 or 7:30 may be the best bet. G/L. 

Scott L
    Potential Investor
    Olathe, KS

• 14.  RE: Thinking of changing from being open 24/7 to 7AM-11PM

Posted 26 days ago
    Check with your insurance carrier, if they know you are open 24/7 now and plan to adjust your hours so as not to be open all the time, they would/could/should reduce your premium down as less exposure for them. Add that into your expense saving analysis

Mitch Stamos
    Multi store owner
    Allentown, PA

• 15.  RE: Thinking of changing from being open 24/7 to 7AM-11PM

Posted 23 days ago
    Edited by RICH CRUZ 23 days ago
    The premium will most likely not be greatly affected with the current carrier.  But more options are available for non 24 hr operations

Message me to discuss.

Joel Blitzer, VP
    Brooks Waterburn Corp
    Farmingdale, NY 11735

• 16.  RE: Thinking of changing from being open 24/7 to 7AM-11PM

Posted 21 days ago
    Below is a link on a similar discussion.  On post 13 an insurance expert explained a bit about some insurance caveats that 24/7 operators may want to consider. 

https://community.coinlaundry.org/openforumlink/community-home/viewthread?MessageKey=8ead8934-a4c3-4ae2-bbe0-f0abf7bc8f91&CommunityKey=e3a9040e-d397-423e-8e4f-20e8bb27defa&tab=digestviewer#bm8ead8934-a4c3-4ae2-bbe0-f0abf7bc8f91

I am not trying to fear monger ... but sometimes we get into too much of a "wishful thinking mindset" when it comes to the long term realities.

MICHAEL WALSH www.kingkoin.com
    King Koin Laundry, Car n Dog Wash
    Bismarck ND