Open Forum

Google Solicitations

• 1.  Google Solicitations

Posted 08-08-2019 11:55
    Has anyone else besides me get frequent sometimes very rude phone calls from probably a third party that Google farms out to?

The call usually is "fear driven" stating that your Google listing is in danger of being taken off.  Most of the times we just hang up on the caller which is a recording.  Twice now in the last month I did press the "one" selection.   When the "live" voice on the other end came on ... I said I was pretty sure that my listing was not in error ... I got an immediate hang up.

This morning it was an offer to check the "status" of our Google listing.  So I figured I would patiently hear the person out on the status.  Apparently I struck a nerve with the live person when I asked him "what his version of the Google Status of our Business is"  He immediately hung up.

If it is Google itself ... I sometimes wonder if they & other social media have secret hit lists to harm anybody who is not lock-step with them.   Maybe old fashioned "bypassing" too much dependency on them for finding services & products etc might be something for the general public to consider???

When I see Silicon Valley San Francisco currently ranked #1 in homeless & Seattle #2 ... I am thinking about "By their fruits you shall know them"​​ admonishment coined by some of our better ancestors!

------------------------------
    MICHAEL WALSH www.kingkoin.com
    King Koin Laundry, Car n Dog Wash
    Bismarck ND
    Join CLA - Enjoy Membership Benefits

• 2.  RE: Google Solicitations

Posted 08-08-2019 12:09
    Michael,

That's not Google calling you.  It's some low-life phishing for your private information.   Hang up.

Larry Adamski
    Muskegon Laundromat
    Muskegon, Michigan

• 3.  RE: Google Solicitations

Posted 08-08-2019 12:43
    I get those calls all the time. When looking at the number on line it is a scam. Next it will be someone stating they are collecting for police. They seem to be tied together somehow? Different than the people who start off "The last time you stayed at our resort". Or "this is your health insurance company".

Curt Harrington

• 4.  RE: Google Solicitations

Posted 08-08-2019 16:19
    I get those calls all the time, unfortunately I'm always too busy to speak with them so I put them on hold making sure to check every few minutes that they are still on the line. I've found that they hate having their time wasted too.

Richard H.
    Potential Divestor
    B.C. Canada

• 5.  RE: Google Solicitations

Posted 08-09-2019 11:44
    Most are scams, but some are legit people trying to sell you their services to improve visibility in google/web searches.  In Bismarck ND that's probably less important than where I am, which has a pretty transient population.  It's worth understanding how online media/advertising works and what the cost/benefit would be for you.  But do so with something you sought out, not somebody that cold-called you.

Paul Kludt
    Multi Store Owner
    Lake Worth Coin Laundry
    West Palm Beach, FL