Open Forum

Maintenance Schedule For New Owners

• 1.  Maintenance Schedule For New Owners

Posted 02-03-2019 07:02
    Does anyone have a schedule of maintenance items. I'd love to have one to provide to new owners.  I know I had one years ago but it's lost in time and memory.  Reading this forum has has reminded me about the need for regular maintenance.  Thank you.

------------------------------
    Larry Larsen
    Laundromat123.com
    Anaheim, CA
    Distributor - Insurance - Consulting
    Cell: (714) 390-9969

• 2.  RE: Maintenance Schedule For New Owners

Posted 02-03-2019 10:20
    Boy - I would love to see one also - as I go forward... I have been creating one on my Google calendar - every time I find yet another maintenance task - I add it to my monthly Google calendar for ongoing tasks / reminders... then when it comes up in the calendar (monthly / weekly / 2x year / etc...) it kicks me back a reminder in my email to do x this week... seems to be working... but I'm sure there are items I am missing and better ways to do it...

Thom
    Store Owner/ Employee
    NJ

• 3.  RE: Maintenance Schedule For New Owners

Posted 02-04-2019 11:49
    Watching.

Andy Johnson
    Owner
    Super Suds Laundromats, LLC
    Wilmington, MA

• 4.  RE: Maintenance Schedule For New Owners

Posted 02-04-2019 12:06
    Following.

JOHN OLMOS
    Store Owner/ Employee
    Porterville CA

• 5.  RE: Maintenance Schedule For New Owners

Posted 02-04-2019 12:48
    I would definitely like one too if one appears on this forum... =)

REBECCA Jenkins
    Store Owner/ Employee
    Corner Wash Club
    www.cornerwashclub.com
    Largo FL

• 6.  RE: Maintenance Schedule For New Owners

Posted 02-04-2019 13:24
    Edited by Joe C. 02-04-2019 13:24
    Ok.  Let's create this maintenance schedule.  This will be a work in progress with all of us brainstorming.

Before creating the maintenance schedule, we first need to determine the the tasks that we need to perform.  Let's save the schedule for later and work on the task list first.

There are so many tasks that we could perform but let's start with the most important ones.  Here's 12 tasks that come to my mind.

* Cleaning the dryer coin drops
    * Cleaning debris from the washer valve drains
    * Removing mold that grows around the front loader door gaskets
    * Vacuuming lint from the dryer motor ventilation ports
    * Checking for water leaks
    * Snaking the drain lines
    * Cleaning the washer coin drops
    * Examining the time it takes a washer to fill and drain.
    * Opening the lids of washers and inspecting for anything abnormal
    * Inspecting for burnt out florescent tubes
    * Swamp cooler maintenance
    * Removing debris in p-traps

The above are in no particular order.  Please feel free to share tasks that keep your laundromat running at its best.  I'll manage the list.  Later we can work on a practical maintenance schedule.

Joe C.
    Store Owner
    Happy Bubbles Laundromat
    North Hollywood, CA
    www.BubblesCoin.com

• 7.  RE: Maintenance Schedule For New Owners

Posted 02-04-2019 16:02
    Thanks Joe!!  Let's put this together and come up with a complete master task list...

Andy Johnson
    Owner
    Super Suds Laundromats, LLC
    Wilmington, MA

• 8.  RE: Maintenance Schedule For New Owners

Posted 02-04-2019 19:46
    Edited by Paulie B 02-05-2019 11:45
    Great start Joe!

I can add...

- snake all your drain lines every year.
    - Open & check your dryer exhausts every year
    - clean lint off of dryer sail switches.
    - Grease anything that has a zerk fitting once a year.
    - Check all your washer tub drains for obstructions once a week with a flashlight.
    Here's a video I made on how to do that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7JSBAcdCMs

Paulie B
    Multiple Mat Owner since 1976
    New York City, NY

• 9.  RE: Maintenance Schedule For New Owners

Posted 02-05-2019 02:28
    Rotate dryer motors from the most use the  least use (top to bottom,bottom to top) same thing with computer boards.
     Spay belt conditioner on washer belt and spay white Lithium grease & wd40 into motor bearing  if you behind the washer with back panel opened .
     Clean dryer coin drops with compressed air very time you see a customer beats your coin drop with his twist. Same thing with washer
    Clean bill validators with validator cleaner very time you see it rejects a bill more than two times.
     Stop and take a look if you hear your dryer making some noise ,could be a nail in a hole or roller in bad shape
    if you see your toilet clogged or you have to flush for some one before you then consider to upgrade to 1" tankless Sloan automatic Valve .
     If you see paper towels on restroom floor then install electric hand dryer.
    Stand in front of washer during filling water and after it stops,if you hear it fill again then stop then fill again,your drain valve have a problem.
    after closing time (quite time ) if you hear washer inverters running a little loud ,time to take them out and clean them
     Fun and fact:
    stand a coin on top of washer during high spin if it fall then check the mounting. J/k
     if you have to empty  coin box on your large capacity washer very three days or very Saturday ,time for you to go with Dollar coin . Same thing with your change machine instead of empty,you fill .

Linh Nguyen
    Linh Nguyen Person
    Mobile AL

• 10.  RE: Maintenance Schedule For New Owners

Posted 02-05-2019 10:40
    I agree with most things but not rotating dryer motors or computer boards.
    It would be a lot of unnecessary  work for me to rotate dryer motors as my duct work needs to come out to change a dryer motor. Also the impellers get hardened from heat over the years and one wrong move might break or crack them.
    Computer boards, same thing. I do not like to disturb anything that is running properly.

I don't even like swapping parts from machine to machine for testing purposes.
    Sometimes you end up with two non working machines. (It happens)

I would just rather rebuild or replace parts as they wear out even if a machine is getting twice the turns.

K J
    K J Person
    Binghamton

• 11.  RE: Maintenance Schedule For New Owners

Posted 02-05-2019 11:28
    Good stuff

Andy Jewlovr
    Andy Jewlovr Person
    Irving TX

• 12.  RE: Maintenance Schedule For New Owners

Posted 02-05-2019 13:02
    Lot's of great information here from experienced owners.

I'll compile the information in a Google Spreadsheet and post a public link.  I haven't done this before so give me a couple days so I can test it and make sure everyone can view it properly.

I'll add some more to the list.

* Inspect water hoses for damage, corrosion, and small leaks
    * Tighten valve stem packings
    * Time washer fill rates with a stopwatch (hot, warm, and cold)
    * Tighten hose clamps and inspect for rust
    * Check door lock mechanism are free of water/soap damage
    * Check air gap vent for water leakage

Please keep those good ideas coming.

Joe C.
    Store Owner
    Happy Bubbles Laundromat
    North Hollywood, CA
    www.BubblesCoin.com

• 13.  RE: Maintenance Schedule For New Owners

Posted 02-05-2019 16:22
    Dexter suggests the following;

https://www.dexter.com/support/knowledge-base/dexter-washers/

https://www.dexter.com/support/knowledge-base/dexter-dryers/

Patrick & Kathy Minikus
    Omaha Classic Coin Laundry
    Crescent IA

• 14.  RE: Maintenance Schedule For New Owners

Posted 02-05-2019 19:15
    Of course, the laundromat owner needs to tailor his or her general maintenance to his or her specific equipment to some extent.   Maybe a lot of footnotes to help distinguish between the equipment ... especially if some groups are "newer- older-different" model characteristics or whatever.

Michael Walsh www.kingkoin.com
    King Koin Laundry, Car n Dog Wash
    Bismarck ND

• 15.  RE: Maintenance Schedule For New Owners

Posted 02-06-2019 11:29
    It's nice to have a list, but honestly who follows it? You'll be 24h a day in your laundromat with all this preventetive measures. I bet 99% of owners are mostly in a reactive mode. Fix it when it breaks (which is not often). Especailly when you have a couple big stores. Maybe it is a good idea to look around for potential problems when you are fixing a particular issue (replacing a washer valve diaphragm), but opening every machine just to check if your hoses are tight is a waste of time. You shouldn't try to run your washers beyond 10-15yr anyway.

Also, you should really clean your dryers' ducts at least every 2yr to remove fire hazards.

S P
    SSF Wash & Dry
    dffg CA

• 16.  RE: Maintenance Schedule For New Owners

Posted 02-06-2019 13:15
    SP,

I agree that maintenance schedules with numerous time consuming tasks are not practical.

I'd like to create a list of items that benefit laundromat owners the most for every hour dedicated to maintenance.  Some things we run to failure like belts and light bulbs.  Other things we know will fail if we don't perform maintenance, such as cleaning dryer coin drops and cleaning washer drain valves.

I think once the task list is developed, every owner need to determine how much time per month he is willing to dedicate to perform maintenance.  If for instance, an owner can only spend 8 hours per month on maintenance, let's provide him a list that will give him the most benefit for time spent.

Joe C.
    Store Owner
    Happy Bubbles Laundromat
    North Hollywood, CA
    www.BubblesCoin.com

• 17.  RE: Maintenance Schedule For New Owners

Posted 02-06-2019 18:12
    So couple of thoughts here.

Maintenance especially preventive as I think the intent of this thread is, all helps the bottom line & ensures that our mats standout above the rest.

Shouldn't the corresponding & correct statement be maintenance warrants however many hours need to be expended?  I don't follow the logic of only dedicating 8 hours or some other amount of time unless the owners are suggesting all maintemance issues are addresses & completed in 8 hours which seems to be a bit on the low side.

An earlier comment about a maintenance item being checking for is removing mold that grows in the gaskets & soap dishes.  "?"

If you keep your place clean or as clean as you claim to be mold & soap scum should not be an issue.  Period.

If you have to clean it up because it's growing... Your too late.  Some of these items should / need to be done on a daily / nightly basis if you want to really be as clean as you say or claim to be.

The fact of whether the owner is there, near or far shouldn't matter.  Clean is clean.  Have the right mindset & people & some of these items don't even need to be placed on a list.

Seems obvious & elementary to me.

Juan
    Cocoa FL

• 18.  RE: Maintenance Schedule For New Owners

Posted 02-07-2019 15:21

Here's a good app for any checklist.  Your employees can download the app, you can create multiple checklists, and they can mark each task as done.  You can require a photo of the completed work or even put in QR codes that require the employee to scan with their phone in order to prove they were there.

https://jolt.com/products/checklist-and-task-software/

If you're doing pickup and delivery, make sure you have your vehicle maintenance schedule in there too, to make sure you are getting regular oil changes, etc.  A lot of times, employees will not tell you when the check engine comes on, but they will let you know if the van does not start.  So it's important to stay in front of all of these things through preventative maintenance.

Matthew Simmons
    Laundry Operator and
    Wash & Fold Software Consultant
    www.CurbsideLaundries.com
    (562) 533-0053