Open Forum

Creating Electricity from excess dryer heat??

• 1.  Creating Electricity from excess dryer heat??

Posted 22 days ago
    Hello, just wondering if anybody knows of technology out there that can harness the excess heat from our dryers and convert it into electricity to create a charging station for phones or batteries?

Thanks!

------------------------------
    NICK BERNAICHE
    Clean n Green Laundromat LL
    Vernon CT
    Maytag - Sponsored Webinar September 17, 2019

• 2.  RE: Creating Electricity from excess dryer heat??

Posted 22 days ago
    Nick,

Just install a wall receptacle/USB device for your customers to charge their stuff.  $20 to buy one.  Done.

Larry Adamski
    Muskegon Laundromat
    Muskegon, Michigan

• 3.  RE: Creating Electricity from excess dryer heat??

Posted 22 days ago
    Thank you for that idea.  I'm more interested for purposes of creating power from excess heat to create some extra stored electricity.  There's no cost savings considered, just a interest in creating electricity from heat that is just disappearing.

NICK BERNAICHE
    Vernon CT

• 4.  RE: Creating Electricity from excess dryer heat??

Posted 22 days ago
    Nick & others,

It would be interesting if you find something that does not cost too much.  I can see where someone may want an outside easier to run USB low voltage cable.  Just a thought ... but maybe a UPS (backup power for a computer) is available that receives power that otherwise would go to waste.  Then the UPS would only use backup until the battery was charged enough to be continue power.

Our two 902 G-force & one1092 G-force extractors in our laundromat have wires going to external resistor banks & dissipates just as heat for safe & less than a minute stops at the end of each of their cycles.  Not sure but if I would save a few hundred bucks a year for an always on 24/7 computer UPS ... something could make sense & be reliable enough.   The average ...3 or 4 minute before the offloading to the resistors to safely stop the very heavy basket ... on some days can be very frequent ... not sure on how much energy could be reclaimed.  On a larger scale there is a lot on the news about wasteful natural gas flaring within our current North Dakota's  oil production industry.

So we both wait for a volunteer electronics engineer type to help us out???

MICHAEL WALSH www.kingkoin.com
    King Koin Laundry, Car n Dog Wash
    Bismarck ND

• 5.  RE: Creating Electricity from excess dryer heat??

Posted 22 days ago
    A number of years ago 7-11 actually did use the heat recovered from their refrigeration to heat their buildings. You should check with the company they used to do that? If I had to guess the amount invested would benefit the installers only? But I might be wrong?

Curt Harrington

• 6.  RE: Creating Electricity from excess dryer heat??

Posted 22 days ago
    Guys,

In the 1970s, a variety of gizmos and do-dads were being sold that claimed to improve energy efficiency on everything from appliances to zone controls (A to Z).  Most failed to live up to claimed savings, required a lot of maintenance and were a waste of money.  The systems that survive today are already incorporated into our equipment.

Nick,

I don't recommend trying to reclaim dryer exhaust heat as too many things can go wrong.  Things you're not even thinking of.  For example, cooling down the exhaust gas could cause severe condensation within the dryer's duct.  Where will that water go and what damage will it cause?  If your dryers are more than 30 years old; replace them and reduce your gas bill rather than trying to make a dollar's worth of "free" electricity.

Larry Adamski
    Muskegon Laundromat
    Muskegon, Michigan

• 7.  RE: Creating Electricity from excess dryer heat??

Posted 22 days ago
    When I first started out in the 1970's, I made up 5 equal 50' lengths of 1-1/2" copper pipe, ganged together with copper manifolds on each end.

I simply laid this "radiator" on top of a row of dryers, covered it with 50' of aluminum sheeting to keep it clean and to contain some heat.
    Connected it as my boiler intake.

It probably wasn't up to code, but it did help somewhat.

Paulie B
    Multiple Mat Owner since 1976
    New York City, NY

• 8.  RE: Creating Electricity from excess dryer heat??

Posted 21 days ago
    I've never met Paulie B, but reading his posts makes me laugh and think of some of the "improvements" that I performed over the last 34 years that might not have been up to code. (Midnight Plumbing, interior wall relocation, removing a 600 lb washer from it's base by myself and searching a local bar to get help putting it back on it's base at 1:30 in the morning, etc.) Hey, that's what we do to survive!

Sometimes, I'll take something apart and say WOW, I did a good job 30 years ago.

ROGER OWENS
    O-Kleen Laundry & Dry Cleaning
    Elkton MD

• 9.  RE: Creating Electricity from excess dryer heat??

Posted 21 days ago
    Edited by MICHAEL WALSH 21 days ago
    Paulie B, Larry A & now Roger O seem to be making a bit of levity about third party solutions.  Didn't these big boys in the below link all play it safe with only gov't approved & straight from the factory solutions!   I would think all these solar panels passed code & met the needed qualifications of a large number of gov't inspections!!!  Did they meet NYC & LA city codes though???

https://gizmodo.com/amazon-echoes-walmarts-claims-that-tesla-solar-panels-s-1837529249

Larry Larsen & a few other forum members ... at what point will you guys  & gals stop poking fun at those of us like Roger Owens who might improvise a wee bit from time to time!  No not me .... no no no ... me never guilty of trusting one's own knowledge a bit more possibly than some others would approve of!!!  I know it is hard to resist... the poking fun part ... that is!

Keep in mind this thread is about seeking out ways to save energy ... so no no ... i am not guilty of the "hi jack" crime ... at least not in my humble opinion (IMHO) ...

MICHAEL WALSH www.kingkoin.com
    King Koin Laundry, Car n Dog Wash
    Bismarck ND

• 10.  RE: Creating Electricity from excess dryer heat??

Posted 21 days ago
    Why not get several small lantern RV wind turbines and mount them under your dryer exhaust ducts?

Chris Mallam
    Norfolk VA

• 11.  RE: Creating Electricity from excess dryer heat??

Posted 21 days ago
    A dryers exhaust is best left to vent into the outdoors atmosphere as it creates carbon monoxide when the natural gas is combusted.

Thomas Bright
    Owner
    Bright's Coin Wash
    Marengo Illinois

• 12.  RE: Creating Electricity from excess dryer heat??

Posted 20 days ago
    Nick,
    My understanding is that you are looking for a unique way to recycle energy - more of a scientific curiosity - as opposed to an actual way to save money. To that end, you might google (or look on amazon) a "wood burning camp stove with USB". This camp stove uses the heat from the burning wood to create an electrical current strong enough to charge a phone. If you could figure out how to replicate the energy converter, it should mount to the exterior of your vent lines. This would not interfere with the operation of the dryer in any way and will certainly not inhibit air flow.

Worth looking at for kicks!

Brian Asher
    Commercial Laundry Sales & Service
    Wichita KS

• 13.  RE: Creating Electricity from excess dryer heat??

Posted 20 days ago
    I appreciate everyone's responses to my little thought experiment.

NICK BERNAICHE
    Vernon CT