Open Forum

environmentally friendly detergents

• 1.  environmentally friendly detergents

Posted 25 days ago
    HI,
    I wonder if anyone's found great environmentally friendly detergents to put in their soap vending machines?

Thanks!
    Laurel Gamm
    Soon-to-be Owner
    Join CLA - Enjoy Membership Benefits

• 2.  RE: environmentally friendly detergents

Posted 25 days ago
    Why would you intentionally sell a product that does not get clothes clean? This is a serious question! Why would you want to do that? Who is the winner here? You should sell things that actually work! Now if someone wants to bring in their own products the end result will not be your fault.

------------------------------
    Curt Harrington

• 3.  RE: environmentally friendly detergents

Posted 24 days ago
    In addition to what Curt says, no soap vendor or manufacturer is putting a special detergent in a vended size box. Proctor and Gamble once sold Biz and Ariel in vended size boxes, but discontinued production because of low volume use. An "environmentally friendly" soap would likely suffer the same result.

Tide outsells any other vended soap and detergent by three to one. The sulfates and enzymes were removed from American detergents years ago, and it's why the Hispanic customers find the best cleaning detergent to be the Mexican version of Ariel. (There is an American version without the enzymes, but it's not as effective.)

Over the years I've found the top brands  purchased were Tide, Cheer, Downy, Bounce and Clorox 2.  I'm not promoting any brand, merely pointing out what our customers believed was the most profitable to vend in their soap machines.

Larry Larsen
    Laundromat123.com
    Anaheim, CA
    Distributor - Insurance - Consulting
    Cell: (714) 390-9969

• 4.  RE: environmentally friendly detergents

Posted 24 days ago
    No question those are the name brands people buy. As to the most profitable...well maybe based on volume? That company has raised their prices so high it is almost not worth bothering with them any longer. I have been thinking about going with still well known name brands made by a different company.

Curt Harrington

• 5.  RE: environmentally friendly detergents

Posted 23 days ago
    Curt
    You are exactly correct that Proctor and Gamble is not the most profitable brands of soap to vend.  Vend Rite is my exclusive provider of soap products, with the exception of Liquid Bleach (they do not have that as an option).

I strongly suggest that you contact your local VR dealer and take the product challenge.  I did and I was amazed at what happened.  My product usage never changed and my profit skyrocketed.
    The challenge is this-- Remove all other product lines from your vendor and use only VR products.  That means you will not any longer offer Tide or Bounce but replace it with All and Snuggle.  I did this in one of my best stores for soap vending and the amount of vended soap never changed by even one box.  but the profit margins almost doubled.  So I changed every store to exclusively VR products and have not gone back.  It is probably the single best and most profitable move I have ever done out side of retooling a store.
    I believe the reason is that if your customers are brand loyal they are bringing that soap with them to the store, and not planning to purchase it in a single use box for that wash.  The customers that are purchasing soap from you vendor are purchasing a convenience product and will buy what ever you are offering.  They will use ALL vs Tide with out any complaint.
    I instructed my attendants to counter any complaints questions with a statement to the effect like-- The cost of Tide is increasing to the point I I will need to raise the price or switch to a different product that is as good or even better quality with less name recognition that is a little cheaper in cost and not raise my price.  Any customers that even mentioned the lack of tide in the vendor when met with this explanation all understood and accepted the new product with out complaint and many even mentioned that they thought their clothes were cleaner with All vs. Tide.

DARYL JOHNSON
    Giant Wash
    Saint Ansgar IA

• 6.  RE: environmentally friendly detergents

Posted 20 days ago
    Curt,
    What you say makes sense, especially regarding people who are loyal to a brand---they would likely bring their own detergent. 
    I will check out the local VendRite dealer, thanks!

Laurel

• 7.  RE: environmentally friendly detergents

Posted 20 days ago
    Thanks much for your response Larry. I've heard, too, that Tide is a favorite, and thanks for the more detailed information.

Laurel Gamm