Open Forum

Motors for dryers

• 1.  Motors for dryers

Posted 01-28-2019 12:03
    I have Dexter dryers 30 and 50
    Lb stacks. I need to replace a motor for the 30 lb stack. Has anyone bought motors from Grainger with the same specs instead of from the parts folks?

Best Regards,

Bridget Wallace
    Join CLA - Enjoy Membership Benefits

• 2.  RE: Motors for dryers

Posted 01-28-2019 15:18
    Grainger isn't cheap.  I'd only go to Grainger if I had no other choice or it was an emergency.  I'd choose your distributor before Grainger.

I'm fortunate in that I found a motor shop near my laundromat.  The guy charges me about $90 to swap out my 30# dryer motor.

DIY Dryer Motor Repair

Has anyone out there changed out the bearing and centrifugal switch on their blower motors.  Every motor I've replaced has failed on the centrifugal switch only.

It irks me that I spend $90 on a used motor replacement when I know I can do the work for $10.

One end of the motor housing does not come off like a typical motor.  If I put my mind to it, I'll figure it out.  I'll probably destroy the end bell in the process though unless someone out there can share the trick to getting it off.

------------------------------
    Joe C.
    Store Owner
    Happy Bubbles Laundromat
    North Hollywood, CA
    www.BubblesCoin.com

• 3.  RE: Motors for dryers

Posted 01-28-2019 16:59
    Why not just buy a new Dexter motor from.distriburor and send the bad one out for repair.  Once complete you have a spare motor?

Juan
    Store Owner/ Employee
    Cocoa FL

• 4.  RE: Motors for dryers

Posted 02-03-2019 00:37
    If you buy the Marathon replacement motor from PWS it comes already mounted to the plate and it will have a new pulley and v-belt on it as well as rubber bushings and it will have the correct flats on the shaft for the fan.  This is for the DL2X30 dryers.

Jim Allen
    Store Owner/ Employee
    VIP Laundry
    Orange CA

Store Owner/ EmployeeVIP LaundryVIP LaundryJimAllenVIP LaundryVIP Laundry

• 5.  RE: Motors for dryers

Posted 02-03-2019 00:54
    I was using a motor shop in a close by neighboring town until they started charging what a new motor from my dist. charges. Frequent dryer room maintenance will go a long way to reducing motor problems. I vacuum the motor vents when I clean the dryer rooms. It can't hurt and I haven't had a motor problem for 5 years.

Tom

Thomas Bright
    Owner
    Bright's Coin Wash
    Marengo Illinois

• 6.  RE: Motors for dryers

Posted 02-03-2019 01:02
    Edited by Jim Allen 02-03-2019 01:03
    Heat is one of the main enemies of motor windings and vacuuming the ventilation ports will go a long way towards keeping them cool and is the recommended best practice.  Some of the maintenance experts like Terry Wireman, who wrote Total Productive Maintenance, say that every 10 degree C rise in motor winding temp takes half the life off the insulation.  Note that high motor temp takes life out of the grease charge in the bearings also.  Also note that the new motors mentioned above seem to have bigger ventilation ports.

Jim Allen
    Store Owner/ Employee
    VIP Laundry
    Orange CA

Store Owner/ EmployeeVIP LaundryVIP LaundryJimAllenVIP LaundryVIP Laundry