Open Forum

No Suds Showing on Glass Best Explanation?

• 1.  No Suds Showing on Glass Best Explanation?

Posted 08-05-2019 20:56
    Today a normally stellar regular customer showed me no suds on the glass on a 6 load machine during wash cycle.  He had put in more than enough "Cold Water Tide"  His water temp setting was cold water.  Soap Dispenser hoses checked out OK direct path to drum water.

He would not accept my explanation that because plain water was splashing on the lower part of the glass something in his clothes was neutralizing the detergent suds wise!  He left to run an errand while I put his clothes in another 6 load machine for free next to it.  I observed the same issue.  For sure the water level was proper & not draining out improperly.   During the first spin the water I had showed him that the water was somewhat opaque as it splashed against the glass .... but that did not satisfy him.

Any suggestion on the explanation for what happened?  It would be nice to have dazzled with something more than just giving him a liquid fabric softener suds killing example or the general "Something in your clothes is neutralizing the detergent???

------------------------------
    MICHAEL WALSH www.kingkoin.com
    King Koin Laundry, Car n Dog Wash
    Bismarck ND
    Maytag - Sponsored Webinar September 17, 2019

• 2.  RE: No Suds Showing on Glass Best Explanation?

Posted 08-06-2019 07:39
    Michael,

It's not the duty of the washer to make suds.  If the washer is tumbling with the correct water level, what more can it do?

It's the job of the detergent to make suds.  No suds ... look at the detergent.   Is it low sudsing?  Was the right amount used for the type of load being washed?  Was it cheap detergent?  Was the load exceptionally soiled?  The solution to "not enough suds" is always to add more detergent but sometimes even that doesn't create enough suds.

Larry Adamski
    Muskegon Laundromat
    Muskegon, Michigan

• 3.  RE: No Suds Showing on Glass Best Explanation?

Posted 08-06-2019 11:21
    Edited by MICHAEL WALSH 08-06-2019 11:23
    Larry A & others,

I have read that suds actually has very little to do with the actual cleaning of clothes.

Just thinking out loud ... maybe the better solution for us operators is to have a large extra cheap container of dishwashing liquid from Walmart ... ready to poor into the washer ... that might be a better solution than starting up another washer for free for them.  The retired gov't bureaucrat had proven himself to be a really good regular customer & also normally very friendly ... so I am pretty sure he would have been happier if I just had grabbed the cheapest highest sudsing activator possible & poured it in for him.  He seemed to be in very much of a hurry to get done & also 100% fixated on his all knowing solution that suds is what gets the clothes clean!  I really would not want to lose him or her as a customer just because of their stubborn pride on the suds need fixation!

Anybody know of the highest sudsing activator ... dishwashing liquid or otherwise ,,, regardless of soft water status???  I know of some really cheap by the gallon from Walmart but not sure which one is the ultimate in suds creation!!!???

Bismarck ND

• 4.  RE: No Suds Showing on Glass Best Explanation?

Posted 08-06-2019 12:18
    Many reasons.  HE detergent isn't supposed to produce many suds, water may be too soft or water is too cold.  Tell him he has nothing to worry about and if he has doubts, he can try the laundromat down the street.  Don't waste time with idiots.

Had a customer once complain that the cold water wasn't cold enough.  Gave him the number to the utilty department to tell them.

Chris Mallam
    Norfolk VA

• 5.  RE: No Suds Showing on Glass Best Explanation?

Posted 08-06-2019 14:10
    Chris,

I've been running laundromats for over 50 years and I have never had a customer tell me my cold water isn't cold enough.

Larry Adamski
    Muskegon Laundromat
    Muskegon, Michigan

• 6.  RE: No Suds Showing on Glass Best Explanation?

Posted 08-06-2019 16:58
    Edited by MICHAEL WALSH 08-07-2019 16:38
    I thought for sure someone could tell myself & the rest of us what detergent &/or dishwashing liquid ranks the highest or from their experience when it comes to producing the most suds.  I am thinking of some observing & seeing the same detergent over & over again when a washer is overflowing with way too much suds.  Since it is a bit traumatic especially those with some soft mounts ... you'd think it would be remembered as the worst offender suds making wise detergent.

Chris & others,

Are all HE detergents labeled as such or is it possible that the "Cold Water Tide" did have HE somewhere in smaller print on its label?  Or super low sudsing attribute proclaimed.

Bismarck ND

• 7.  RE: No Suds Showing on Glass Best Explanation?

Posted 08-06-2019 16:56
    Michael,

I hear that complaint quite often.  Someone will be staring at the front loader and I will walk up and ask how it is going.  They will question why there is no suds.  Most of the time i will look at their detergent and it is HE.  So I will explain that HE is very low suds and is designed for home front loaders that can't handle the suds, and besides that its not the suds that do the cleaning.  Most every time they are OK with that.  Now on my fronts if they pour with liquid detergent in before putting in clothes, they are going to have detergent going straight down to the open drain valve, but I think that is a rare case.

MARK SHIELDS
    University Laundry
    Tucson AZ

• 8.  RE: No Suds Showing on Glass Best Explanation?

Posted 08-06-2019 22:08
    You want suds. Original Gain gives about the most. Any detergent with the "HE" on it will give low suds. This is why you don't see suds anymore.

"States including Maine, Florida, and Indiana in the United States began restricting or banning the use of phosphates in laundry detergent in the early 1970s, culminating in a nationwide voluntary ban in 1994. In July 2010, 17 states followed up with bans on its use in automatic dishwasher detergent."

If older detergents had a lot of suds, it was loaded with phosphate. Which really cleans cloths great. 

Tommy Riddle
    T & T Laundries, Inc.
    Henderson NC

• 9.  RE: No Suds Showing on Glass Best Explanation?

Posted 08-07-2019 00:36
    Thank You Tommy. I am glad you showed the quote about Phosphates elimination in bygone years. Had the same problem when I was selling Laundry at the retail level years ago. Ya know some of those old ladies would swear it was the washers problem and not their soap problem. They demanded a new washer be replaced. It was frustrating. They also started putting in other fillers when they took out the Phosphates.

Michael;
    It would be advised to contact one of your soap suppliers and have them give you an explanation of the chemical make up of the different soaps. Or you can call the 800 # on the box ​of the detergent and have their consumer service division give you some answers.

DEWARD STOUT
    Hurricane Laundromat & Storage
    Hurricane UT

• 10.  RE: No Suds Showing on Glass Best Explanation?

Posted 08-08-2019 16:08
    Tide claims coldwater clean contains smart suds technology which collapses suds so it is formulated for frontload washers.

If you want suds keep a squeeze bottle of Dawn handy but only a drop or two at a time.

• 11.  RE: No Suds Showing on Glass Best Explanation?

Posted 08-08-2019 16:28
    That company also claims that their dryer sheets do not leave a brown residue.

Curt Harrington

• 12.  RE: No Suds Showing on Glass Best Explanation?

Posted 08-08-2019 17:37
    KJ,

"smart suds technology which collapses suds" … now I've heard everything.  What does it have - a tiny computer chip is each bubble that pokes the bubble after a certain number of seconds?

Larry Adamski
    Muskegon Laundromat
    Muskegon, Michigan

• 13.  RE: No Suds Showing on Glass Best Explanation?

Posted 08-08-2019 18:46
    KJ & others,

Do you have a link where the "smart suds technology is explained officially" & hopefully not just for HE machines?

Are most new washing machines sold nowadays including to laundromat owners HE?

I did make some effort & did come up with this link:  https://tide.com/en-us/washing-machine-101/common-problems

Bismarck ND

• 14.  RE: No Suds Showing on Glass Best Explanation?

Posted 08-08-2019 19:13
    Edited by MICHAEL WALSH 08-08-2019 19:15
      |   view attached
    Here is some info on the suds collapsing design: https://tide.com/en-us/shop/type/he-liquid/tide-he-turbo-clean

Also about what happens if you use another detergent with it in cold water which the man was doing with some kind of pre-treating.  This might be explanation for the extreme "no suds" situation:
    Bismarck ND

• 15.  RE: No Suds Showing on Glass Best Explanation?

Posted 08-10-2019 09:36
    I just tell them the HE soap is designed to be low suds by the government but no one got the email.  Suds take more water to rinse and since there is a shortage of water municipalities have asked for reformulation so they do not waste potable water rinsing out suds.  I also tell them suds mess with the pressure tube and confuse the computer giving them less water in their wash. I show them in all the suds left in the spin cycle and tell them that their clothes will soil faster because of the soap was not rinsed out do to them putting too much soap.  Some do not listen they want to see suds. So it is what it is I just put vinegar and baking soda as needed to keep the machines clean and hope for the best.

F Salas
    Freedom Laundry
    Denison TX