Open Forum

Speed Queen washer question

• 1.  Speed Queen washer question

Posted 02-08-2019 17:22
    One of my 40lb Speed Queen washers is spilling water out of the vacuum breaker during final rinse.  Has anyone ever seen this or have any input on how to fix it?

------------------------------
    Brian Rheaume
    Ram Laundry
    Waterford CT

• 2.  RE: Speed Queen washer question

Posted 02-08-2019 17:33
    Brian,

Just replace the vacuum breaker.  A new one is only $20 or so.

Larry Adamski
    Muskegon Laundromat
    Spring Lake MI

• 3.  RE: Speed Queen washer question

Posted 02-09-2019 10:38
    Sometimes mineral deposits will build within the breaker deflecting some of the water out the back.
    Most can be corrected with a simple cleaning.

K J
    K J Person
    Binghamton

• 4.  RE: Speed Queen washer question

Posted 02-10-2019 05:04
    Edited by CURT HARRINGTON 02-10-2019 05:10
    The way the machine is made is in fact a giant vacuum breaker to begin with. Why do you need two?

• 5.  RE: Speed Queen washer question

Posted 02-11-2019 11:39
    Hard water deposits on the air gap nozzles inside the air gap box cause water to spay within the air gap box.  What doesn't make it's way to your detergent cups falls into the tub (ok) and out the back of the machine (not ok).

The lime deposits are easy to remove if you can open the air gap box.  However, this is a pain on old machines.  The hoses are hard and the plastic male connectors are brittle.  After breaking a couple of air gap box nozzles, I said to my self, I'm not going to do this again.

What I've done to solve the problems is buy 1/2" male-male hose connectors and bypass the air gap box for the detergent cup hoses.  I can't have water always leaking out of the back of the machine.  The detergent cups serve as an air gap (kind of), so does the washer tub.

Hopefully my new SQ SCT machines solved this water spraying out of the air gap issue.

Joe C.
    Store Owner
    Happy Bubbles Laundromat
    North Hollywood, CA
    www.BubblesCoin.com

• 6.  RE: Speed Queen washer question

Posted 02-11-2019 12:20
    And the air gaps could easily be designed where no water sprayed out the back from any kind of turbulence.

K J
    K J Person
    Binghamton

• 7.  RE: Speed Queen washer question

Posted 02-11-2019 13:26
    You don't need two vacuum breakers, you just need one that is UL certified or done to industry standards. One of the two breakers you are seeing must not be adequate

For those who are just learning the business, a vacuum break or air gap prevents soiled or dirty water from being drawn back into the fresh water supply in the event of a reverse pressure incident.

This protection of our water supply is made by having a space or gap on the water supply after the water valve. Think of it as a pitcher of water being poured into a funnel.  The water can't get back into the pitcher.

Unfortunately pollution is possible, in one example, when the city water pressure is turned off for repairs.  Polluted water can be sucked back into the fresh water supply without an air gap.

Many cities are now requiring vacumn breaks on the main water supply including yearly inspections.  All these protections are mandatedvbecause of past pollution incidents and to protect the health of our public and our water supply.

Larry Larsen
    Laundromat123.com
    Anaheim, CA
    Distributor - Insurance - Consulting
    Cell: (714) 390-9969