Open Forum

Loud 4 year old Horizon

• 1.  Loud 4 year old Horizon

Posted 12 days ago
    Can anyone guess what's causing this loud rattle when the drum turns on a barely 4 year old machine?  These should never allowed to be passed off as commercial quality.  It's not the belt or the shocks.  Another machine out of order.

------------------------------
    Chris Mallam
    Norfolk VA

• 2.  RE: Loud 4 year old Horizon

Posted 12 days ago
    Stop that machine. Your bearing is shot. It is so loose the inner drum is banging on the baffles that are spot welded to the outer drum. They will break off if you keep running it. Stick your hand in and lift up on top of drum to confirm.

Chris Mirisciotta
    Canon Coin Laundry
    Canonsburg PA

• 3.  RE: Loud 4 year old Horizon

Posted 12 days ago
    Edited by Chris Mallam 12 days ago
    Thanks.  I put it OOO tonight and will take a look tomorrow.  Total garbage.  About ready to find another MFGR and chuck these in the trash.  Buyer beware!!!

Chris Mallam
    Norfolk VA

• 4.  RE: Loud 4 year old Horizon

Posted 12 days ago
    The loud noise is your machine singing that old country song "I've been overloaded, used and abused and now I'm broken hearted" Maybe just broken.

Overloading and unbalanced loads are the enemy of homestyle frontload washers, but before you look at the machine as total garbage, consider the following.

The factory brochures of many of the homestyle washers (the homestyle washers are normally considered as Horizon, Crossover, LG and the new Maytag) report the useful life of their machines as about 15,000 cycles.

How many cycles does a busy Laundromat use in five years? Let's say eight turns per day, times 365 days, times five years is 14,600 cycles or nearly 98% of the factory promised cycles.

Homestyle washers, in normal home use, cycle approximately eight times per week, times 52 weeks, times five years is 2,080 cycles or about 14% of the use in a typical Laundromat setting.

Buyers should always read the sales material and inquire from distributors on cycles expected, if available, and realize lower cost homestyle washers are low to medium use machines when installed a commercial setting.

Homestyle washers were not designed for long-term commercial use. They should not be judged against heavy duty industrial style washers. They provide a low cost alternative to more expensive alternatives.

Using these assumptions, the reasonable expectation of a useful life in a commercial setting (modified by actual use) would be five to seven years. Hope this helps some people understand this subject.

Larry Larsen
    Laundromat123.com
    Anaheim, CA
    Distributor - Insurance - Consulting
    Cell: (714) 390-9969

• 5.  RE: Loud 4 year old Horizon

Posted 12 days ago
    Chris, First I agree with you and Larry both. These style washers are half the price of a true commercial washer for a reason. I suspect you're not doing anywhere near 8tpd all year so I'm guessing 4 years is pretty ridiculous, imo. I wouldn't blame the manufacturer, I'd blame the machine. Despite having lots of them, I won't be purchasing them anymore either. These do not belong in a laundromat environment.

Dave Menz
    Queen City Laundry Chain
    Cincinnati, OH

• 6.  RE: Loud 4 year old Horizon

Posted 12 days ago
    Edited by Larry Adamski 12 days ago
    Guys,

Eleven years ago, I began looking for a substitute for my top loaders.  I took a basket full of bedding and went to a laundromat that had Horizons (pump models). There were no crossovers or LG washers back then.  I  loaded up the Horizon washer and started it up.  I stood there in front of the washer and watched the entire cycle.  I noticed that the washer required several tries to balance the load for extract.  I unloaded the washer and inspected each item.

I was impressed by how dry the load came out.  I was not impressed with the design of the washer.  I didn't like the way the loading door window protruded far into the basket.  I  didn't like the plastic, pull out soap tray or the plastic door frame.  Everything screamed "home washer".  I  decided right then and there that I would not buy the Horizon for my laundromat.  I  ended up buying Huebsch hard mount washers at double the price of the Horizon.  Great decision.  My 2008 Huebsch 20 lb. washers have performed almost flawlessly and all have their original main and motor bearings yet.  Trust but verify when deciding what model to buy.

Larry Adamski
    Muskegon Laundromat
    Spring Lake MI

• 7.  RE: Loud 4 year old Horizon

Posted 11 days ago
    The Horizons I have encountered were not worth the paper the slaws contract was drawn on..  but.. lighter duty machines have issues from time to time.. bearing at that age is terrible!!

Industry averagge is about 3 turns per day.. At 15000 turns they should last about 13-14 years.. according to the brochures.. the newer Maytag MHN33 seem to be muc better than their previous versions.. Its about 60lbs heavier than their previous version.. I've switched my Horizons out for them.. so far so good..  but they do still have several plastic parts.. As others metioned, rigid mount isthe way to go for longevity if you have the $$ to spend up front..

Dodd Camp
    Owner
    Caribbean Coin Laundry
    Central & Western Kentucky

• 8.  RE: Loud 4 year old Horizon

Posted 11 days ago
    Edited by Chris Mallam 11 days ago
    There's no unusual play.  Just slight play as with all of them.  Would a bad bearing only make this grinding noise in one direction?  All of them make a weird noise when turned by hand.

Chris Mallam
    Norfolk VA

• 9.  RE: Loud 4 year old Horizon

Posted 10 days ago
    Edited by Paulie B 10 days ago
    Chris,

I'm leaning with what Brad said...It might not be the bearings. I've never heard bearings make noise ONLY in one direction.

The sound to me sounds more like something is loose and only rattles in one direction.
    Do you have anything such as coins, get stuck inside the basket vanes?
    Or perhaps the balance ring like Brad says.

Paulie B
    Multiple Mat Owner since 1976
    New York City, NY

• 10.  RE: Loud 4 year old Horizon

Posted 11 days ago
    So, quick question. Do you know how many cycles this four year old machine has?

What about bearing replacement on the Horizon? How hard or difficult is it? Has anyone done one?

Terry Hyslop
    Front And Center Laundry
    Austin TX

• 11.  RE: Loud 4 year old Horizon

Posted 11 days ago
    Note:  For those not in the business "turns per day" means the number of times each washer is used, turned on or vended each day.

Returning to my contribution to this forum: Here again Laundromat location raises its confusing head in this discussion. Dense urban cities versus lower populated city neighborhoods, In SoCal many stores have homestyle washers averaging in excess of eight turns per day.  I am not suggesting that every sized washer in a Laundromat will turn that high, but the lower priced models have more turns per day.

I had one customer tell me they were doing 14.40 turns per day on their twelve homestyle washers and only 6.2 on their eight 40-LB washers. I suggested a price raise on the smaller machines to balance the demand.

I used my own experience in my example, if you're only doing three turns per day on your low priced washers your machines will last longer. However, to suggest that homestyle machines will have a fourteen year useful life might be a tad bit confusing or deceptive to the owners in dense urban area or the ten percent of all Laundromats located in California.

I've found that serious failures too costly to continue to pay for repairs begins at about five to seven years for homestyle frontloads. The most prevalent failures has been costly computer boards and hard to replace gaskets. That's my experience and I think disappointment in these models is created by a lack of facts and heightened expectations.

Larry Larsen
    Laundromat123.com
    Anaheim, CA
    Distributor - Insurance - Consulting
    Cell: (714) 390-9969

• 12.  RE: Loud 4 year old Horizon

Posted 11 days ago
    I agree Larry in the his point that repairs do get very costly after about 7..  I was basing te 14 years off the "brochures 15,000 cycle" claim..  i would love to have my locationshere in Kentucky doing 8,10,14 turnsa day!  I would writing this reply from a beach in South America!

Dodd Camp
    Owner
    Caribbean Coin Laundry
    Central & Western Kentucky

• 13.  RE: Loud 4 year old Horizon

Posted 11 days ago
    Larry L,

Here in the midwest, any washer group exceeding 7 TPDs (averaged over 7 or more days) is due for a price increase.  Failure to act on this kind of supply vs demand ratio invites all kinds of problems that extend beyond just increased maintenance.

Larry Adamski
    Muskegon Laundromat
    Spring Lake MI

• 14.  RE: Loud 4 year old Horizon

Posted 11 days ago
    ​I'm Back, Finally Able To Sign In with a working link only on my cell, not my laptop or desktop.

As I have said before, Soft Mount Horizon Washers are CRAP & should Never be used in the Coin Laundromat Business.
    Of course that's only my Opinion & proven here once again.

Mike B
    Multi Store Owner
    Sunny Palm Harbor Florida

• 15.  RE: Loud 4 year old Horizon

Posted 11 days ago
    It may not be bearings. If it is they are pretty easy to change. It could be the balance ring or the motor as well. If the drum turns smoothly and has no up & down play, it's probably not bearings.If you hear a load rattle when turning by hand but it's tight & smooth it's probably the balance ring. You could take the belt off and run the motor to check it as well.
     When I buy a soft mount, I know it's only going to last 5-7 years. I use them in places were I need to be able to move them easily to get into bulkheads or where isle space just wont let me use a bigger machine. That said, I have been less than thrilled with the Horizons. The first gen with the small doors actually performed fairly well. When they went to the big door it encouraged overloading and I've had constant problems.The later ones with 2 balance rings are an improvement, but the last 8 I bought all had 2 or more major repairs while still under warranty. But what is a better soft mount? I've pretty much decided to use T-300's and resign myself to having to unbolt them to move them out of the way.

Brad Seder
    Brad Seder Person
    Santa Rosa CA

• 16.  RE: Loud 4 year old Horizon

Posted 10 days ago
    You have a screw or bra wire inside the tub dragging. May have to take front panel off tub to see it between inner and outer tubs. Could try feeling of drain hose as it comes out of tub. A bra wire will hang there.

As far  as Crap machines, if used properly, the horizons work great. It's not easy, but you have to teach your customers how to use. And the ones you can't teach, tell them to use larger machines and don't give them refunds for stupidity.

At 2-4 turns a day average, mine have lasted 10-14 years. At that age, replaces some shocks, door gaskets and now motors starting to fail.

Tommy Riddle
    T & T Laundries, Inc.
    Henderson NC

• 17.  RE: Loud 4 year old Horizon

Posted 4 days ago
    Did you pull front off this machine yet to look around the drum?

Chris Mirisciotta
    Canon Coin Laundry
    Canonsburg PA

• 18.  RE: Loud 4 year old Horizon

Posted 4 days ago
    I checked for the noise again.  For the first cycle, noise noise at all.  Second cycle, Noise came back.  The sound is coming from the rear  The pulley assembly makes a popping noise in one direction and appears to be slightly bent?  I ordered a balance ring and a pulley assembly today.

Chris Mallam
    Norfolk VA