Open Forum

Unattended wash and fold drop off

• 1.  Unattended wash and fold drop off

Posted 08-12-2019 04:14
    Good morning

I have recently run into a staffing problem and not sure how to handle it.   I had one idea but not  sure if it is a practical one.  85% of my business is coin and 13% is wash and fold. I don't wish to lose the wash and fold business that I do have because one day I want to build upon it.  I'm just purchasing the mat and need to cut back on labor costs for now.  Does anyone have any suggestions on setting up a mat for an unattended drop off wash and fold service?  Fyi I was also thinking about doing free pick up and drop off since the customer base is so small.  What do you think?

Thanks in advance for your help

------------------------------
    Rudy S
    New purchaser
    (NY, NJ metro area)
    Join CLA - Enjoy Membership Benefits

• 2.  RE: Unattended wash and fold drop off

Posted 08-12-2019 13:22
    You could always separate the 2 services.  Allow one person the keep the drop off revenue in exchange for keeping the laundromat clean.  They profit based on their motivation and pay to use your machines.

Chris Mallam
    Norfolk VA

• 3.  RE: Unattended wash and fold drop off

Posted 08-12-2019 14:30
    Thanks chris.   

You might have something there.   Thanks for the advice 

• 4.  RE: Unattended wash and fold drop off

Posted 08-12-2019 15:25
    This is a great model and I've used it for over ten years.  The operator has the attendant counter and storage space.  In stead of paying rent, they open the store, operate WDF and take care of customers.  My staff common at 3p and do the deep clean and attend to customers, closing the store at 10pm.  My staff does NO WDF anything.  They don't handout/take in orders.  The WDF operates as a business within a business.  The better the operator does - the better my machine revenues are.

Timothy Foster
    Multi-
    Timothy Foster Person
    Toledo

• 5.  RE: Unattended wash and fold drop off

Posted 08-12-2019 16:32
    Rudolph,

In theory this is a feasible model for wdf and a mat. Be sure to keep in mind, the IRS has very specific rules and regulations for this type of thing. I know very few people operating this way that are in compliance. Messing with the IRS isn't something you want to do so just be careful if this is the route you go. I highly recommend that you're very diligent in all that you do. Otherwise you're playing with fire.

Dave Menz
    Queen City Laundry Chain
    https://www.queencitylaundry.com
    Laundry Magician Pickup & Delivery
    https://www.laundrymagician.com
    Cincinnati, OH

• 6.  RE: Unattended wash and fold drop off

Posted 08-12-2019 17:43
    Great point Dave.  Make sure your operator is a Business setup as an LLC.  Your not contracting, setting their hours of operation, duties required.  You can set expectations to be in compliance of a lease.  If their not there, you need to open and cover staffing.  Or, you can be unattended.

Timothy Foster
    Multi-
    Timothy Foster Person
    Toledo

• 7.  RE: Unattended wash and fold drop off

Posted 08-12-2019 19:58
    Dave has brought up a very good point. There is a very thin line when it comes to 1099.
    There is nothing wrong with having someone who is self employed if in fact they truly are.
    I mean truly are. You do not supply anything for them to do their job.
    You just tell them what you need to have done and they do it without any direction from you.
    Now as usual that state next to the ocean has challenged this. No wonder businesses are fleeing!

Curt Harrington

• 8.  RE: Unattended wash and fold drop off

Posted 08-12-2019 20:42
    That is why you lease the operator space.  It's their business, period.  You have no involvement with their operation, they are only using your equipment at retail price.  If they were in the next bay and walking over to your space, what would the Gov say?

Timothy Foster
    Multi-
    Timothy Foster Person
    Toledo

• 9.  RE: Unattended wash and fold drop off

Posted 08-12-2019 22:29
    Edited by JUAN VASQUEZ 08-12-2019 22:34
    This is all easier said than done.  It sounds good in principle bit the OP will have to find the person that will want to 1.) Run a low producing wdf & 2.) Will want & be able to clean the store for what? 50.00 or so a week in revenue? it would be difficult enough to find an attendant that is willing to give up their time to do basic cleaning for a minimum wage.

To illustrate further just this weekend I went to a different laundromat here in Louisiana. The attendant had her young son with her while she did wdf. Us customers kept dodging the little boy as he ran around the mat with the attendant saying the occasional stop it, come here, don't do that etc..

The wdf clothes were stuffed in a washer without sorting or uncrumpling.  They were then tossed in a dryer followed by a smoke break.

Let's not forget that the OP is new to the business and has a list of other things that need to be done besides finding that ellusive cleaning / wdf person.

Several variables & unknowns remain such as how many locations are in direct competition? What are they charging per pound? Then around time? Quality? Equipment mix? Cost per wash? New owners? Existing? Those are other pertinent variables.

And as an additional.comment / observation the OP stated prior that he was eager & willing to put in the time in other words motivated (paraphrasing) in his quest to be a multi location owner.  Isn't one of the best & quickest way to achieve this be by doing the work yourself?  The OP has to find that balance while also carefully considering & eventually implementing all of the advice that is presented.

Additionally, if the intent is to "grow" the wdf business how does farming that out to another person in exchange for attendant duties grow said business?  I don't follow the consistency in neither the help needed nor the options presented.

Sometimes its better to take a step back to regroup while you come up with a different strategic alternatives.

Good discussion. Thanks

Juan
    Cocoa, Fl

• 10.  RE: Unattended wash and fold drop off

Posted 08-14-2019 10:53
    Great points Juan.  I appreciate the input.  Thanks 

• 11.  RE: Unattended wash and fold drop off

Posted 08-14-2019 10:53