Open Forum

Dangerous: Modification of Your Rquipment.

• 1.  Dangerous: Modification of Your Rquipment.

Posted 7 days ago
    Edited by Larry Larsen 7 days ago
    I've noticed a number of forum posts where owners are describing rewiring, door locks mechanism changes and vacumn break bypassing.

I’m passing on a warning to new owners that modifications may be creating personal legal liability and putting the health of their customers at risk. Factory warranties are based on maintaing factory designs and using OEM approved parts.

During and after your warranty expires, the protection of the factory lawyers, settlement money and long term health care may not be available to protect you.  Do you have the cash and resources to pay out of your own pocket for injuries your modifications may cause?

Try taking an automobile to your dealer after you've made modifications to air intake, exhaust and engine upgrades and see if they do free engines repairs.

As an insurance agent, I've seen too many owners who have failed to properly install, operate or repair to factory standards. A letter of reservations letter tells you the insurance company may not be paying for the injuries you caused because you modified the factory design.

Respond with your examples, comments and opinions. 
    ------------------------------
    Larry Larsen
    Laundromat123.com
    Anaheim, CA
    Distributor - Insurance - Consulting
    Cell: (714) 390-9969

• 2.  RE: Dangerous: Modification of Your Rquipment.

Posted 7 days ago
    Totally agree with you Larry!

Be careful in making modifications to your machines. If someone gets hurt, or if you get a major fire, your modifications can allow the manufacturer to absolve themselves of any responsibility. It's all on you then.

And why not? If your modified door lock doesn't lock the door, or if it gives a customer a shock, you can be blamed 100%.

Paulie B
    Multiple Mat Owner since 1976
    New York City, NY

• 3.  RE: Dangerous: Modification of Your Rquipment.

Posted 7 days ago
    Paulie B, Larry L & others,

Agreed that the person modifying certain parts of the machine should have a thorough enough understanding on what is done.  On the flip side ... there is also a danger for operators being too anxious & being paralyzed in a sense in making or reinforcing 100% clear improvements that the factory never did not rise to.

Anybody read a service document where the manufacturer goes out of their way to what appears to try to indemnify themselves by REQUIRING part checking BEFORE each use etc.?

I do remember the horrific door lock perfecting process .... that possibly helped to lead Ametek pulling out of the laundry equipment manufacturing completely back in the day of the big boy & chore boy etc.

Michael Walsh www.kingkoin.com
    King Koin Laundry, Car n Dog Wash
    Bismarck ND

• 4.  RE: Dangerous: Modification of Your Rquipment.

Posted 7 days ago
    Rewiring a door lock mechanism would be insane. It is bad enough when kids get inside the machines by themselves. I have had a woman attempt to put her screaming boy in a dryer. Thank God a regular woman stopped her. I had a grandfather lock the door on a washer with his granddaughter inside. What if that machine started because a door lock was bypassed? I had to do a police report for that one.

Curt Harrington

• 5.  RE: Dangerous: Modification of Your Rquipment.

Posted 6 days ago
    I agree with Larry L & every other responsible thinking laundromat owner & insurance underwriter that a little bit of knowledge can sometimes be dangerous especially when it comes to door locks & vacuum breakers.  There could be an exception:  I was tossing & turning at night plenty on whether to either be 100% thorough on revising the clearly unsafe for laundromats "door lock ... break shoe - control interaction" on our Bock Extractors or be stupid enough to  rely only on the manufacturer.  It was a dilemma since I knew that the around 1000 G-force would continue to set me apart from my competition.  Again ... the person or the collaborative effort must be thorough enough & be able to stand behind what was done.   Can anything be 100% imbecile customer &/or anti business judge & bias tainted media proof ... history has proven that probably is not possible.

Michael Walsh www.kingkoin.com
    King Koin Laundry, Car n Dog Wash
    Bismarck ND