Open Forum

$10 Bills Rejected by MEI VN2700 Series Bill Validators

• 1.  $10 Bills Rejected by MEI VN2700 Series Bill Validators

Posted 10 days ago
    I've noticed that my new Triad bill changer with MEI VN2700R validators and bill recyclers have a tendency to reject $10 bills.  I was wondering if anyone out there also notices unusually high $10 bill rejections.

My bill validators are set to high acceptance so that's not an issue.

I watched a customer yesterday put her $10 bill into all 4 bill validators.  All validators rejected her bill.  I inspected her bill and could not find any issue.  I was unable to get the machine to accept her bill.

Looking back, I should have kept her bill for further analysis.  I'll do so next time this occurs.

I'll give MEI a call later and see what they have to say.

Thanks,

------------------------------
    Joe C.
    Store Owner
    Happy Bubbles Laundromat
    North Hollywood, CA
    www.BubblesCoin.com

• 2.  RE: $10 Bills Rejected by MEI VN2700 Series Bill Validators

Posted 10 days ago
    Edited by Larry Larsen 10 days ago
    Let's get a little understanding how a bill validator works.  This information might be helpful in understanding occasional bill rejection by your bill changer.
    1) The first method to determine if a valid bill is being fed to the changer is the directing of light at the bill at a few points on the bill and reading the amount of light received on the other side.  The older Standard brand "tray-style" validator is one of the well known brands that used this method.  This is not as popular as in days past.
    2) The second method involves the reading of the magnetic ink on one side of a bill.  American currency is printed with one side using magnetic ink. As the bill is pulled through the verifier, the read-heads "play the tune" of the bill. If you look at the read-heads on your validator you'll notice the similarity to the read-heads on tape recorders/players.  Same idea. This popular method is used in the MEI (Mars) validators and most others.
    3) Some manufacturers have used a combination of the two in their design.  These are the only two ways your bill changer knows whether a fake or a real bill is being inserted.
    4) The U.S. government has extended the removal rate of worn bills in order to reduce costs. This means more wrinkled and poor quality bills are in circulation, creating issues of acceptance. Nothing is going to correct this problem in the near future.
    5) As you set your changer to "high acceptance," it ensures that marginal bills (although real but worn) will be rejected.  Your visual view of the bill is not always accurate.  The bill may have been washed, distorted or the magnetic ink quality reduced.  The really wrinkled bills are easy to recognize.
    6) If you set your changer to a lower acceptance setting you run the risk of accepting bogus bills.  Now you have to make your own decision.  Rather than spend your time on a problem that may not exist, just run a handfull of $10.00 bills through your changer and see if the problem is with the verifier or only the quality of the bills.

Larry Larsen
    Laundromat123.com
    Anaheim, CA
    Distributor - Insurance - Consulting
    Cell: (714) 390-9969

• 3.  RE: $10 Bills Rejected by MEI VN2700 Series Bill Validators

Posted 10 days ago
    Yes, Yes, Yes, always have more trouble with 10's.  6 laundries, 15 Mars MEI acceptors.
    Also, about every two years one of them steals a $5.00.  It accepts a five with no recognition/counter increase.  I reconcile the bills in the stacker to the counter, otherwise I wouldn't believe it.

Brian DeCoster
    Laundromania
    Iowa City IA