Open Forum

Sliding Automatic Doors For Laundromats

• 1.  Sliding Automatic Doors For Laundromats

Posted 18 days ago
    Does anyone have automatic sliding front doors in their Laundromat?  Cost, brand, model, distributor and cost please. It's been years since I put them in a store and remember problems with automatic unlocking in the morning.

------------------------------
    Larry Larsen
    Laundromat123.com
    Anaheim, CA
    Distributor - Insurance - Consulting
    Cell: (714) 390-9969

• 2.  RE: Sliding Automatic Doors For Laundromats

Posted 17 days ago
    Larry L,

I think if ...you haven't already ... go back to some of Larry A's posts he did get into the specifics of the brand he uses for his automatic sliding doors etc.

On our parking lot side of our building we have both an overhang & a swing out button activated automatic door.  It was less than a $500 to set up but the local installer may have given us a deal when he special ordered our manual sliding doors for the two entrances of our self service dog wash.  We had to collaborate & improvise on the hardware (custom fabrication) to make the sliding doors manual but they both to this day ... still slide even with just a little finger effort after about 9 years of use with maybe just one minor maintenance incident.

The big advantage I see with automatic sliding doors other than the "wow" factor is the ability to have an air space vestibule if you will.  But then you really should have two auto sliding doors per entrance ... meaning extra indoors real estate would be needed.  A bit like the stacking vs single dryer conundrum.

Michael Walsh www.kingkoin.com
    Store Owner/ Employee
    King Koin Laundry, Car n Dog Wash
    Bismarck ND

• 3.  RE: Sliding Automatic Doors For Laundromats

Posted 17 days ago
    Edited by Steven Matrix 17 days ago

We installed them in 2016 and was a great decision.  We went with Stanley and there were several options.  Here's a breakdown and cost of what we got.  After installation, we soon added on an EXIT button (+$200) because the doors were opening too frequently when someone on the inside walked by the door.

Stanley Dura Glide 3000 automatic single sliding door (SX-SO configuration).
    Door sizes: 8'0" x 8'0" with transom to 8'11 1/2".
    Features:
    DOOR ACTIVATION - Two-way traffic Stanley SU-100 motion sensor controls.
    DOOR SAFETY - Stanley Stan-Guard threshold safety sensor w/ doorway holding beams.
    Microprocessor control box w/ safety search circuitry.
    Electro-mechanical operator, 1/8 HP DC motor (requires 120VAC, 5 amps min. by others).
    Emergency breakaway sliding door panels with breakaway side lites.
    Narrow stile door panel.
    10" bottom rails.
    1/4" clear tempered glass.
    4 1/2" Square/Bevel Continuous threshold.
    Adams-Rite Security deadlock w/ Best cylinder on the exterior and interior.
    Aluminum finish shall be clear anodized.
    Net Price: $5,630.00

4-6 weeks build/ordering time.

Stanley Access Technologies

Southwest Branch
    6504 W. Straight Arrow Lane
    Phoenix, AZ
    USA, 85083
    Tel: 623-242-8617
    Email: William.Gerardin@sbdinc.com

Steven Matrix
    Store Owner/ Employee

• 4.  RE: Sliding Automatic Doors For Laundromats

Posted 16 days ago
    Steven,

Thanks for the detailed report. I always thought that automatic doors were more expensive. For that price, it's a no brainer!

Laundromats.....more than ANY other retail business should have automatic doors simply because people are struggling with carrying laundry in TWO directions....coming and going.
    Supermarkets have used auto doors for decades and they only have customers with carts and bags going in ONE direction, exiting.

Plus, you get a "talking point" for your mat that puts you above competitors who do not have auto doors...."I love this laundromat! It's nice & clean, and they even have automatic doors".

Paulie B
    Multiple Mat Owner since 1976
    New York City, NY

• 5.  RE: Sliding Automatic Doors For Laundromats

Posted 16 days ago
    Paulie B & Larry L,

It seems like Steven had to somewhat go the giant sized button(s) like we did.  It is really rare ... maybe because we have colder temps ... I don't remember seeing in our area any buildings with the walk up to & it opens that did not have both an outer door opening & an inner door opening.

Little children do sometimes play with the two big buttons ... but they tend to get corrected by someone soon enough!  It may have cost us slightly more than the $500 but to be fair the glass-door company installer ... it was just for the opener & the buttons ... no electrician included.  It was the Besam Brand & so far it has been 100% maintenance free 9 yrs+ other than a 5 minute tightening of a button that started to wobble.  Ours is not the ultra quiet version like some have but for us that was not necessary.

During part of the year (weather related) we switch the door off that the installer included up high because then we prop the door open for most or all of our open hours.

Michael Walsh www.kingkoin.com
    Store Owner/ Employee
    King Koin Laundry, Car n Dog Wash
    Bismarck ND

• 6.  RE: Sliding Automatic Doors For Laundromats

Posted 17 days ago
    Edited by Larry Adamski 17 days ago
    Larry L,

I have 2 sets of Stanley bi-parting automatic doors but they do not unlock automatically.

Each door set consists of 2 doors that are attached to opposing sides of a single long belt within the header.  When the doors open away from each other, the belt has one side going one direction and the other side going the other direction.  A very simple operating system that becomes a little more complex with the addition of approach and threshold sensors.

I bought these systems in 2004 and had them rebuilt last year.  The rebuild included:  new motors, computers, bottom tracks, bottom roller/guides and pivots.

I'd buy Stanley doors again.

Larry Adamski
    Muskegon Laundromat
    Spring Lake MI

• 7.  RE: Sliding Automatic Doors For Laundromats

Posted 16 days ago
    Edited by Greg Beason 16 days ago
    We have four Horton doors that were just added to our access control system.    They were originally Installed years ago, but the upgrade was easy and two parts.  I cannot say I would recommend or avoid Horton, but after looking at the parts vs Stanley, it’s pretty much the same.   Our customers love them compared to one way or even two way doors.  The most frustrating part of ownership has been the motion sensor.  Calibration is key.   If not properly done, it reopen when it detects the door closing.    It will also not catch people approaching from the side. if too tight.

On the automatic unlocking, ours are tied to access control.   Here are some notes.

1.   Door locking.   We had been turning off the doors and setting a manual latch each night.   This was replaced with a fail safe lock that is activated from the microprocessor.
    2.  Microprocessor.  The system has contacts to control the day/night function.   Close the circuit and the processor sets the doors to night mode. Open, its day.

The fail safe lock was nothing more than a blocker to prevent the door from opening.   Honestly would no prevent a dedicated burglar.  I think it's rated for 50 lbs of force.   Honestly, they would have less work just smashing the door's glass.

The microprocessor had to be reprogrammed to go one way in night mode.   Manual plus trial and error. It would engage the lock and disable the outside sensor.

On the access control, it was pretty easy.   Unlike mag locks where we supplied low voltage, we just closed the circuit.  Our boards have a C, NO and NC.   Just wire correct.   From there, it's like any of our maglock or strike doors.

Greg Beason
    Store Owner/ Employee
    Wells Laundry
    Killeen TX

• 8.  RE: Sliding Automatic Doors For Laundromats

Posted 15 days ago
    I got ours installed March 2017. We finally decided on the the one that showed the most interest and has given us great service. Tormax. They are out of Texas. The guys we used were from our area and had installed other brands but had strongly recommended the Tormax brand . I had checked a few companies out at various businesses and government buildings. So far I would use them again. We can program ours to open or stay closed several different ways. We have ours on an automatic timer that unlocks and locks them at our open and closing times. Real nice features. They are called Tormax Linear sliding doors. After all was said and done with all installers, electricians and security guys we paid about $9K.
    Great complements by all.

Deward Stout
    Store Owner/ Employee
    Hurricane Laundromat & Storage
    Hurricane UT

• 9.  RE: Sliding Automatic Doors For Laundromats

Posted 15 days ago
    Edited by Jim Allen 15 days ago
    When I worked at a hospital med center complex we had just about every automatic or sliding door manufacturer there was.  All of them were pretty good, but some were more reliable while others were easier to repair.  Bottom line, no one company can be head and shoulders above another company and be priced similarly.

Deward makes an interesting point, however, about making a final decision.  About 4 months ago, I called a big name automatic door vender for an automatic door quote who had left stickers and flyers in my strip center.  He came out, reluctantly took a bunch of measurements grumbling the whole time about why anyone would put auto doors on a laundromat.  Did I ever see or hear from him? Nope.  Who will I call next time?  Anybody but him.

Jim Allen
    Store Owner/ Employee
    VIP Laundry
    Orange CA

Store Owner/ EmployeeVIP LaundryVIP LaundryJimAllenVIP LaundryVIP Laundry