Open Forum

Attendant Work hours

• 1.  Attendant Work hours

Posted 6 days ago
    Would like to hear how others schedule attendant hours.  Especially from those in state with particularly strict labor laws.

We run three, shifts each day for attendants and have a manager or assistant manager on site each day from about 8 am to 5 pm.  This structure was inherited from the prior owners and it seems to work fine.  Except for the manager, all employees are part time and most have other part time jobs.  I think they like our shorter shifts as it helps fit with the other job.  We've talked about going to an 8 hour shift but only a few attendants were interested.  Most were not.  Seems like from a schedule management prospective that would be more efficient.

There are things like, paid lunch break, other breaks, PTO, etc that all needs to be considered.

ps.  somehow my signature was changed to Cuzin' Laundromat.  not sure how that happened.

------------------------------
    John McLaughlin
    Laundromat

• 2.  RE: Attendant Work hours

Posted 6 days ago
    Having a manager seems like almighty over-kill, unless you're doing a ton of WDF.  Our attendants take breaks in the office and leave the laundromat unattended unless some emergency happens, which is doesn't.

We do the opposite of you:  no manager and very long shifts.  We don't use a time clock, they just get paid a basic salary, but of course if they work extra hours we pay for those.  Anything over 40 is time-and-one-half.  Nobody is scheduled over 40 unless they're covering for someone's vacation.  We don't pay time-and-one-half over eight in a day.

I'm not sure what a manager would be doing in my store, perhaps we have a lot less going on than you.  The attendants are always busy cleaning, but they can drop that to help a customer.

Luigi

• 3.  RE: Attendant Work hours

Posted 5 days ago
    Hi John,

We are open 7 days a week from 9am-2am. There are only 2 shifts per day, 9-6 and 6-2. I am the general manager and I am here during the week until about 4. The day shift gets a lunch break since I am here, hence the hour longer shift. Otherwise, breaks are paid and can be taken any time they need a breather providing they are not excessive and work is completed/customers are helped.

=)
    Rebecca

REBECCA Jenkins
    Corner Wash Club
    www.cornerwashclub.com
    Largo FL