Open Forum

Increasing Water Level in Top Load Washers

• 1.  Increasing Water Level in Top Load Washers

Posted 17 days ago
    Edited by Joe C. 17 days ago
    I'm on a quest to eliminate customer complaints cased by the manufacturer's settings on my top load washers.  Many should already be aware that top load washers do not fill water to max capacity.  I suspect some kind of Federal regulation to save water imposed on the manufacturer.

Top Loaders not filling water to the top of the tub causes unnecessary customer dissatisfaction.  I and my staff (when they are motivated to do so) must go out of our way to politely educate customers on the benefits of using front load machines.

Top Load machines are a big part of my business though.  New customers love them because they are familiar with them.  Seasoned customers like them too for bleaching whites or soaking clothes.  Many love them simply because they are cheaper than the other machines.  Top loaders are a good entry point to convert new customers to regular customers.

Raising the water level

I took apart a spare water level sensing switch and studied how it works.  It doesn't seem to be all that complicated.  I put a pressure bulb and gauge on the level switch and estimate that 1.5 turns of the adjusting screw will raise my water level 4 inches.  See attached photo for the location of the the high and low level adjusting screws.  Red is the high level adjusting screw.  Blue is the low level adjusting screw.

I'll start making adjustments on Thursday.  In the meantime,I want to know if anyone out there has adjusted the water level pressure switch to their satisfaction.  It seems like a simple fix, but as we all know, nothing is rarely simple, even raising water levels 4".

Thanks,

------------------------------
    Joe C.
    Store Owner
    Happy Bubbles Laundromat
    North Hollywood, CA
    www.BubblesCoin.com

• 2.  RE: Increasing Water Level in Top Load Washers

Posted 17 days ago
      |   view attached
    Here's the photo of the level switch.

Joe C.
    Store Owner
    Happy Bubbles Laundromat
    North Hollywood, CA
    www.BubblesCoin.com

• 3.  RE: Increasing Water Level in Top Load Washers

Posted 17 days ago
    Joe,

Your 2 level pressure switch looks very much like my 3 level pressure switches on my older washers.  It appears the third set of points would be to the left of the set that you marked L.  So I have to think that your H points and L points control 2 different water levels just as you suggested.  It appears that the differential screws are near the H and  L screws.

I phased out 19 top loaders years ago because a large competitor was willing to  vend his for a buck.  So I decided he can have the top loader business and I replaced my 19 tops with 15 Huebsch hard mount 20 lb. washers.  One of my best decisions ever.  Today, half of his tops are out of service and the rest vend for $2.50.  Meanwhile, my 20 lb. washers vend for $4.00 and cost much less to operate than a top loader.

Larry Adamski
    Muskegon Laundromat
    Spring Lake MI

• 4.  RE: Increasing Water Level in Top Load Washers

Posted 17 days ago
    Joe,

Today, all my washer water levels are adjusted by changing parameter settings on the computer.  Very easy.

In the old days when my washers had timers instead of computers,  we sometimes adjusted the water level switch to raise the water level.  These level switches had an adjustment screw in the center and another near the outer edge.  The center screw adjusted ALL water levels up or down as 1 set of points was used for all baths.  The edge screw adjusted the differential.   That is, how much the water had to drop in order for the points to close and turn the water back on.

That said, I have no idea how your water level switches may work.  Some of my switches have 3 sets of points to accommodate 3 different water levels - low, medium and high.  Again, I have never tried to adjust these switches.   If I wanted to raise the water level,  I just programmed the computer to use the medium switch instead of the low switch or the high instead of the medium switch.  I  hope this background information is helpful.

Larry Adamski
    Muskegon Laundromat
    Spring Lake MI

• 5.  RE: Increasing Water Level in Top Load Washers

Posted 17 days ago
    Edited by Michael B 17 days ago

Joe, I hope your going to raise the prices on your top load washers after you raise water levels? The other way is to raise the price on the top load washers (leaving the water level as it is now) to the same or more than your 20lb washers to help guide them in that direction. Most owners have removed them for many different reasons. I haven't had top load washers for years now.

Mike B
    Multi Store Owner
    Sunny Palm Harbor Florida

• 6.  RE: Increasing Water Level in Top Load Washers

Posted 17 days ago
    Yes, my prices will increase.

I'm going to put a cute sticker on each top loader informing customers that "my water is HOT and my water levels are HIGH."

All my regulars should see and feel the difference.  They will be very happy knowing that I've resolved two issues that bothered them:

1.  A washing machine that did not dispense full hot water.

2.  A washing machine that did not fill to the top.

After about one month, I will raise the prices.  I'm providing a superior service on my top loaders and such commands a premium price.  The increase in top loader price will affect the price of my 20# machines.  I will have to raise those also as a result.  That's a good thing!

My water level rant

Regarding point #2, If Alliance wanted to save water to comply with federal regulations, they should have made the tub smaller.  Instead, they chose to reduce the water levels.  Every day, innocent customers fill the top loader tub with clothes to the level they perceive will be the high water line.  They base this on their experiences with the washing machine they grew up with at home.  Ha Ha!  Alliance tricked you! 20% of your clothes are above the water line!!

Alliance does not get the blame.  I get the blame.  "How come the water level is so low in this machine?" is a common customer complaint.  If they don't complain verbally, they complain in silence.  I'm sure they assume that the cheap owner is trying to save a nickel.

I pride myself on providing excellent service to the customers.  I don't like passing the blame on to others such as Alliance or the Feds.  Water levels, like water temperature, shouldn't be something we have to struggle with when we buy expensive commercial equipment.

Joe C.
    Store Owner
    Happy Bubbles Laundromat
    North Hollywood, CA
    www.BubblesCoin.com

• 7.  RE: Increasing Water Level in Top Load Washers

Posted 17 days ago
    While I hear your rant, you are aiming toward the wrong source.
    The "guidelines" were forced on the industry by comrades Clinton, Clinton, and Company.
    (and I thought the idea was stupid then too!)
    In the era your washers were built they, and their ilk, had declared that the Toploader was "inefficient and Must be phased out completely within the next few years."
    Part of the "efficiency guidelines" was a Federally mandatory decrease in the amount of water each washer used.
    The tub in your washer, like the tubs in most of the washers produced in the time period, was a standard capacity tub.
    Making a smaller tub, and smaller outer tub, and smaller balance ring, and all the other items that would need to be changed, was an Expensive proposition.
    So the easier, and less expensive way to comply with 'Der Laws' was to change the water level switch, and Shorten the agitator.
    If you compare your agitator with one from a couple years before your model, you will see that the earlier agitator is about 4" taller.
    This is Supposed to let people know that the washer is a smaller load now.
    In reality people usually fill over the top of the agitator.
    As usual, the Government Dictates without rhyme, reason or knowledge, and leaves it up to the manufacturers to figure out a way to comply with the over-reaching rulings.
    These are the same jokers that dictated ALL cars must get 20% better gas mileage Each Year from 2000 on. Fortunately wiser minds prevailed in the following years, but the older results remain with us. (like your washer)
    (I still have a car with the 55 in Red on the speedometer!)

DAVID CHAMLEE
    Service Technician since 1986
    and sometimes Laundromat Owner
    CCR
    Santa Barbara, CA

• 8.  RE: Increasing Water Level in Top Load Washers

Posted 15 days ago
    Edited by Joe C. 15 days ago
    I just wanted to share my success yesterday with raising the water levels on my top loaders.  See attached before and after photos of the water levels in my top loaders.

The water level was raised approximately 3 inches by turning the high level adjustment screw 1 to 1.5 turns clockwise.

This was a relatively simple fix.  What made it so long in coming was the lack of documentation by Alliance.  I suspect Alliance doesn't want equipment owners to know how to raise the water levels.  The only way I was able to figure this out was to tear open a pressure switch and figure out how the thing worked.

If you feel the desire to adjust your high water levels for your Alliance top loaders, turn the calibration screw with the red ring in my photo.

Best wishes,

Joe C.
    Store Owner
    Happy Bubbles Laundromat
    North Hollywood, CA
    www.BubblesCoin.com

• 9.  RE: Increasing Water Level in Top Load Washers

Posted 15 days ago
    Joe C.,

In some specific cases ... it seems like some laundromat owners should raise the water level even on their front loaders.  I am not sure what the distributors installers are defaulting the water level to.  I wonder how many operators have changed or requested to a "more optimized" for more soiled clothes settings.  Granted if most of the customers just need a "freshening up" or like Dr. OZ recommended washing all new clothes ... especially brand new undies ... then in those cases probably not.  Not when thousands of gallons of water can be saved.

I know some have fancy electronic programming to do this but as you have found turning a screw or two on the "old school" switches in really not labor intensive ... overly intellectually challenging ... nor time consuming!  Maybe the electronics have a higher water level on their "extra soiled" setting ... is that accurate???  I don't have brand new washers so I really don't know.

Michael Walsh www.kingkoin.com
    Store Owner/ Employee
    King Koin Laundry, Car n Dog Wash
    Bismarck ND

• 10.  RE: Increasing Water Level in Top Load Washers

Posted 15 days ago
    Edited by Larry Adamski 15 days ago
    Michael,

Modern washers are fully programmable.   On my Huebsch washers, I can choose the number of baths, number of extracts, water level for each bath, water temperature for each bath,  supply activation for each bath, type of agitation for each bath, length in minutes of each bath and extract and vend price of each cycle.

In addition, I can set up Special Event (discount) pricing or even up charged pricing during busy days.  I also sell up charged optional baths as you know.  I cannot imagine what more an ambitious operator could possibly want.

Not even one of my washers and dryers has the original factory programming.

Larry Adamski
    Muskegon Laundromat
    Spring Lake MI

• 11.  RE: Increasing Water Level in Top Load Washers

Posted 14 days ago
    Some customers have figured a way around a low water level on the toploaders.  What they do is to start the machine first, wait for the fill cycle to end leaving the lid open, then they put their clothes in, often times stuffing them in.  They will get more water in the tub that way, but it's unlikely that their clothes come out cleaner.

Whenever possible, we try to get people to use the 20 front loaders.  Sometimes that works and sometimes it doesn't.  Recently, I even changed the prices so that a 20 lb frontloader costs that same as a 14 lb toploader,  It's too early to tell for sure, but it seems to be working.

Jim Allen
    Store Owner/ Employee
    VIP Laundry
    Orange CA

Store Owner/ EmployeeVIP LaundryVIP LaundryJimAllenVIP LaundryVIP Laundry