Inverter needs air to breathe too. It is 12 years old 

------------------------------
    Linh Nguyen
    Store Owner/ Employee
    Mobile AL

• 2.  RE: Cleaning inverter

Posted 13 days ago
    Yeah, that is what kills them most of the time. I blow mine out with compressed air every time I have the top off  or at least once a year. I have had few failures since starting that.

Brad Seder
    Store Owner/ Employee
    Santa Rosa CA

• 3.  RE: Cleaning inverter

Posted 13 days ago
    Edited by Paulie B 13 days ago

Yeah, that is what kills them most of the time. I blow mine out with compressed air every time I have the top off  or at least once a year. I have had few failures since starting that.
    Brad Seder,  02-03-2019 14:10
    Yes, they overheat and you end up with a VERY expensive fix.
    Like SO many other issues that keep cropping up in our industry, this involves owner/operator routine maintenance, which is relatively rare in this industry.

I dare say that 75% of the repair issues in our industry are due to lack of routine maintenance.

Take care of your mat and it will take care of you.
    Paulie B
    Multiple Mat Owner since 1976
    New York City, NY

• 4.  RE: Cleaning inverter

Posted 13 days ago
    And I thought I was behind because they were a few weeks behind on cleaning. If they continue to work you owe money back to the people who made them. The fins being that clogged makes me think you should should look at your dryer vents. I do not think your building has the proper makeup air.

Curt Harrington

• 5.  RE: Cleaning inverter

Posted 13 days ago
    Linh & others,

It has been over 6 years since we completed our 905-1092 G-extractors re-manufacture project.  That is the only experience I have with vfd-inverters.  I will say this ... that by carefully positioning foam filter material wherever dust or lint can come in to the VFD's mounting area without restricting air flow for the inverters built-in fan ... dust & lint can be completely eliminated before it ever gets inside the inverter.  That honestly has been our experience with those three vfd-inverters that we continue to not need to clean.

No failures from the Hitachi VFDs that BTW required ... less complex of programming settings & In Outs .... than probably is what is on the brand new washers ... not sure.

Michael Walsh
    Store Owner/ Employee
    King Koin Laundry, Car n Dog Wash
    Bismarck ND

• 6.  RE: Cleaning inverter

Posted 13 days ago

I will say this ... that by carefully positioning foam filter material wherever dust or lint can come in to the VFD's mounting area without restricting air flow for the inverters built-in fan ... dust & lint can be completely eliminated before it ever gets inside the inverter.  That honestly has been our experience with those three vfd-inverters that we continue to not need to clean.
    Michael Walsh,  02-03-2019 19:00
     Michael,

Putting a foam filter is a great idea! Makes it so much easier to service by keeping the dust out...just change or clean the foam filter. Just have to make sure that the FILTER doesn't get clogged up.
    Manufacturers, are you listening?

Paulie B
    Multiple Mat Owner since 1976
    New York City, NY

• 7.  RE: Cleaning inverter

Posted 13 days ago
    Edited by Larry Adamski 13 days ago
    Guys,

Alliance used to install a foam filter and 2 additional cooling fans (4 total) on each VFD.  They stopped this practice about 8 years ago.  Today, they use a much more simple VFD that looks like a PCB with a deep heat sink and no fans or filter at all.  The VFD is exposed so one can see how dirty it is by simply removing the top of the washer.  All wire bundles just plug onto the board.  I have 19 washers with this newer style VFD and I like it ... a lot.

Larry Adamski
    Muskegon Laundromat
    Spring Lake MI

• 8.  RE: Cleaning inverter

Posted 11 days ago
    Form filter !? I like your idea Michael, like you said we have to very be careful to place a filter and we have to make sure that the filter doesn't reduce the air flow (cfm).it can be done but we have to use an extra large filter just to be on safe side,
    Curt, there are many reasons for dust built up in there such as :every time we clean the dryer lint filter, shave from washer belt, dust under washer ,improperly make up air ..etc ... sometime we can't avoid those . But I think Michael's idea would be best bet .
     I still have 60 of those to clean=30 hours job, not too much fun.
    Btw , it is so much different air blowing between before and after clean

Linh Nguyen
    Linh Nguyen Person
    Mobile AL