Open Forum

Machine repairs are killing me!

• 1.  Machine repairs are killing me!

Posted 02-07-2019 09:13
    Edited by Rich Cruz 02-07-2019 09:12

Does anyone have any idea where I can find a reasonable repairman for my store?  It's very small but spending way too much for repairs.  It's in NE IL.  Very close to the Wisconsin border so someone from WI would be great as well.

I may have interest in selling as well.

Terry Boone

Owner/Operator

The Clean Machine Laundry – Zion, IL

Teammanagementproperties.com

• 2.  RE: Machine repairs are killing me!

Posted 02-07-2019 17:02
    Terry,

You might want to state the age-brand of your washers & dryers.  Some who are adept at specific models etc might be much more able to make short work out the repairs that you need.  Your post might then be more likely to catch their eye & they would be more efficient-proficient from your perspective also.

------------------------------
    Michael Walsh www.kingkoin.com
    King Koin Laundry, Car n Dog Wash
    Bismarck ND

• 3.  RE: Machine repairs are killing me!

Posted 02-07-2019 18:24
    Edited by Larry Larsen 02-16-2019 12:08
    Sorry that this does not provide an answer to your request. I don't know of any repairmen in your area.  The best source would be distributors or manufacturers based in your State. Try Mike Floyd at Continental Girbau, he should be able to find someone for you and maybe get you a good deal when you next buy equipment.

When the cost of repairs approaches the cost of a monthly payment for new equipment, it's time to replace.

However, if the store doesn't generate enough revenue for equipment replacement, another option would be to sell to it to someone who would enjoy the opportunity to work on their own machines.

Some people enjoy working on their hands, enjoy the experience and do not consider doing repairs a burden.  When I was younger I was one of those people. Marriage, children, money and increased age took it out of me.

This is not intended as an insult or a "I know better than you" comment but just my observation of owners in this business.  A negative attitude about your store, regardless of the source, will reveal itself in your operation and the personality of your management.

Larry Larsen
    Laundromat123.com
    Anaheim, CA
    Distributor - Insurance - Consulting
    Cell: (714) 390-9969

• 4.  RE: Machine repairs are killing me!

Posted 02-08-2019 12:27
    ​Thank you!  You input is very valuable.

TERRY BOONE
    THE CLEAN MACHINE
    WINTHROP HARBOR IL

• 5.  RE: Machine repairs are killing me!

Posted 02-08-2019 12:01
    ​Learn to do All Your Own Repairs

Mike B
    Multi Store Owner
    Sunny Palm Harbor Florida

• 6.  RE: Machine repairs are killing me!

Posted 02-08-2019 12:28
    ​Thank you!

TERRY BOONE
    THE CLEAN MACHINE
    WINTHROP HARBOR IL

• 7.  RE: Machine repairs are killing me!

Posted 02-08-2019 12:26
    ​Thank you so much for your reply!  This looks like an excellent forum that I should use.  I am a very hands-off owner and don't spend as much time on the business as I should.  It would probably behoove me to get a bit more educated on the business.

TERRY BOONE
    THE CLEAN MACHINE
    WINTHROP HARBOR IL

• 8.  RE: Machine repairs are killing me!

Posted 02-08-2019 13:21
    Terry,

In this business,  the more you can do - the less you will  spend to maintain everything.

Larry Adamski
    Muskegon Laundromat
    Spring Lake MI

• 9.  RE: Machine repairs are killing me!

Posted 02-08-2019 13:22
    What brand and model equipment are you running and having the most issues with?  There are a lot of vwry lnowledable people on here that may give you some tips...

Dodd Camp
    Owner
    Caribbean Coin Laundry
    Central & Western Kentucky

• 10.  RE: Machine repairs are killing me!

Posted 02-08-2019 19:09
    My husband does all of our repairs.  We had one store (we own 4) that wasn't doing very well.  We met with a friend about selling and we figured out our equipment was pretty old and to get top dollar we needed to replace a fair amount of equipment.  We did and our sales increased so much we decided not to sell it.  It is a big investment but we were able to pay our loan off early.  You might want to look into new equipment.  All of our laundromats have Speed Queen equipment.  If my husband has an issue, he calls Alliance up and they talk him through the repair.  Good luck!

Robert & Julie Bos
    Multi-Store Owners
    Walnut Plaza Launderland
    Fremont, CA

Fremont

• 11.  RE: Machine repairs are killing me!

Posted 02-09-2019 14:18
    What is that Repair number for alliance?  I've heard of this but after getting bumped around on prompts and hold I give up

JASON
    Northville MI

• 12.  RE: Machine repairs are killing me!

Posted 02-15-2019 13:42
    Even new machines will give you problems and need attention.  You've got to be a good troubleshooter.  Most problems have simple solutions though.

Coin validator jams, dust in the coin validator, bill and coin jams in your change machines, clogged drains, water leaks, etc . . . .  The more machines you have, the more time you need to spend fixing and maintaining the machines.  It takes work to keep them up and running.

Customers regularly approach me and tell me they are thinking about going into the laundromat business.  I tell them that unless you know how to fix machines, enjoy maintaining and repairing machines, have a decent background in plumbing, electrical, and carpintery work, you are going to have a tough time becoming successful in Los Angeles by buying an old laundromat with worn out machines and a worn out interior.  I tell them that if they don't have those skills, they should have at least $500K to invest on purchasing a 3500 sqft laundromat that is already busy and is making enough money to pay someone to keep up with the maintenance and repairs.

Whether my response above is true or not is really not important.  What's important is that potential buyers realize that time and money are required to keep equipment up and running.

Joe C.
    Store Owner
    Happy Bubbles Laundromat
    North Hollywood, CA
    www.BubblesCoin.com

• 13.  RE: Machine repairs are killing me!

Posted 02-17-2019 11:24
    The phone number to Alliance is 920-748-3121.  Yes you have to push buttons and be put in line to speak to someone but they are very helpful. It's just like calling any other customer service number. Be patient and you will get through. There are always things to do while you are waiting on hold.

Robert & Julie Bos
    Multi-Store Owners
    Walnut Plaza Launderland
    Fremont, CA

Fremont

• 14.  RE: Machine repairs are killing me!

Posted 03-14-2019 13:37
    Edited by Rich Cruz 03-14-2019 13:36

Thanks Dodd,

They are Speed Queen commercials.  Here are the specs:

1)SPEEDQUEEN  Front loaders

SWFB61WJ-8 machines

2)SPEEDQUEEN  27lb Extractors

SC27NC20N40001-8 machines

3)SPEEDQUEEN  35lb Extractors

SC35NC20N40001-3 machines

4)SPEEDQUEEN  50lb Extractors

SC50NC20N40001-2 machines

5)SPEEDQUEEN 30lb Stack Tumblers

ST0300DRGZW001-10 machines

6)DEXTER 18lb EXTRACTORS

WCN18AASS-4 machines

When I have some time this week I'll look at all the great replies from my post and use what I can.  Thank you so much for your reply!

Terry Boone

Owner/Operator

TEAM MANAGEMENT

Teammanagementproperties.com / The Clean Machine Laundry / ARKAD Manufacturing, Inc.

• 15.  RE: Machine repairs are killing me!

Posted 02-16-2019 13:21
    I agree with others, do your own repairs.  My husband and I handle almost all of our repairs now and we are training our staff along the way.  There are videos available online for repairing everything now.  All you have to do it google your issue for troubleshooting or part number for an installation video.  You can also contact your manufacturer and they will send you videos on repair of specific things.  There is so, so, so much that you can easily do.

Rick and Martha Morrison
    Twin City Laundry
    1208 Washington Way Ste 110
    Longview, WA 98632

• 16.  RE: Machine repairs are killing me!

Posted 03-15-2019 09:46
    Edited by Y Winston 03-15-2019 09:47
    Excellent advice from the Godfather.  I would add one other job to the list (the most difficult for me) - Employee manager.  It's hard to manage myself, and even more difficult to manage others.
    Addendum: Somehow this post is before the Godfather's. Should have followed his.
    Y Winston
    Y Winston Person
    Chesapeake VA

• 17.  RE: Machine repairs are killing me!

Posted 02-17-2019 13:48
    Terry Boone,

Listen to the Godfather !!!

In this biz you have to be the
    Repairman
    Plumber
    Electrician
    Janitor
    Accountant

IF YOU CANT do this for any reason

Then SELL AS FAST AS YOU CAN
    AND/Or Run as fast and far away you can from this biz