Open Forum

Cards and Quaters

• 1.  Cards and Quaters

Posted 08-07-2019 12:54
    I am thinking of going to a card system, with quarters for those of you who have done this how many love it how many hate it and what would you do different.
    Join CLA - Enjoy Membership Benefits

• 2.  RE: Cards and Quaters

Posted 08-07-2019 16:55
    Tom,

If you have coin mechs... you most likely provide change for 1thru20 bill denominations.  Some even change $50 bills.  Many of us have gone the direction of dollar coins & in Canada both 1 & 2 dollar coins.  The point is we never could rely on people bringing in their own coins.  So which is better ... to give out & use a higher than a quarter denomination coin such as the dollar coin or be stuck in just giving out the 4x quarters?  Why have more wear & tear on your changer hoppers & make it also harder via 4x the coins the customer has to insert in the equipment?  Even with the card option for customers ... you still would have to empty your coin boxes to prevent overfill jams a lot more often than using dollar coins or in the case of Canada possibly $2 coins.

------------------------------
    MICHAEL WALSH www.kingkoin.com
    King Koin Laundry, Car n Dog Wash
    Bismarck ND

• 3.  RE: Cards and Quaters

Posted 08-08-2019 11:23
    IMO the best option is to have a dual pay system. Cards and coins, or phone pay and coins. I've had a card only system and I got a lot of complaints about it at first, but customers grew to like it. Where it is a problem is for 1 time or occasional users who don't want to have a balance left on a card. I made up envelopes so they could leave a card and I'd send them a refund. Few used it.Those customers are probably not a big part of your business. A lot of people really liked being able to load the card up at the beginning of the month so they wouldn't spend their laundry budget. Commercial users liked being able to write a check instead of giving employees a bunch of quarters and hoping it got spent on laundry.
     The float was more than enough to pay for and maintain the system. At the laundry I now manage, we use .50 tokens. We plan to add  phone pay and keep the tokens, which I believe will be a terrific set up.

BRAD SEDER
    Brad Seder Person
    Santa Rosa CA

• 4.  RE: Cards and Quaters

Posted 08-08-2019 16:06
    Thanks for the input,  but I may have not been clear.  These are existing Quarter stores, that I am looking to upgrade. 15% of my customers bring their own quarters, despite having large change machines.    They will not willingly change so I plan to encourage them to change buy offering discounts when using $10, $20 , or $50 preloads on a store card  (20%  will not put anything bigger than $1 in the changer).  Because of this I am having to service relatively small stores 2 time a week. Tom

TOM CUTHBERT
    Suds R Us
    Clanton AL

• 5.  RE: Cards and Quaters

Posted 08-08-2019 11:45
    I've only been in business two years.  I had Spyder wash and .25 drops installed.  My Sw usage has gradually become more popular, it's up to 27% usage, which is good.  But if I had to do it all over again I would have put in dual drops to accept $1 coins.  I think the more options customers have, the more convenient it is for them.  I get very good feedback on the CC/Debit option.  Although Sw offers loyalty cards I've never offered those and I don't care for that concept of loyalty cards.  DCO I like bc obviously it's less coins to handle.

David Rebolloso
    North Tryon Laundromat
    Charlotte, NC