Open Forum

NYC Trash Removal and Recycling

• 1.  NYC Trash Removal and Recycling

Posted 30 days ago
    I know this has been asked in the past but its been a few years and it seems prices and legal requirements have increased since then, so what are NYC owners paying for trash removal these days?

My overnight staff separates plastic bottles out of our trash containers and we've been leaving those for the carting company in clear blue bags but DSNY came in and hit me with 3 separate tickets. Apparently everywhere I have a trash can, I need to have 3 separate cans - one for trash, one for paper recycling, and one for plastic, glass and metal. That is unless my carting company does "single-stream" recycling, in which case I'd only need one recycling bin for all recyclables provided the carting company sticker states that they do and are licensed for single stream recycling. My company is not and I'm considering switching to one that is. What are the rest of you guys doing?

Thanks

------------------------------
    Avi Sharabi
    Brooklyn, NY
    Join CLA - Enjoy Membership Benefits

• 2.  RE: NYC Trash Removal and Recycling

Posted 30 days ago
    Avi & others,

Here in our city ...  WasteManagement picks up residentially ... just single bin at each residence.  They make an effort to spot a violation of the acceptable & non-acceptable.  I remember my residential neighbor had his recyclables left not dumped once because of unacceptable styrofoam ... but he was not fined!  One week pickup for regular garbage & 2 weeks for the recyclable bin for the schedule.

The local city gov't shop tried the 3 bin presorted approach on their public accessible parking lot ... but had to discontinue because of too many items were being put in the wrong bins by the general public.

MICHAEL WALSH www.kingkoin.com
    King Koin Laundry, Car n Dog Wash
    Bismarck ND

• 3.  RE: NYC Trash Removal and Recycling

Posted 30 days ago
    Michael,

NYC can't even hope to hold themselves by the same standards they impose on citizens and businesses. Most street corners in Manhattan for example only have single trash bins as opposed to the 3 separate bins they're now requiring for businesses. To make matters worse there is now a severe rodent problem on the upper west side of Manhattan and some other neighborhoods bc the city removed many of their street corner trash bins for the stated reason that people were using them to dispose of household garbage, which I presume is bc the city imposes so many rules on garbage disposal that ppl find it easier to just throw stuff out on the street where they feel they have a much smaller chance of getting caught and ticketed for a violation.

Avi Sharabi
    Brooklyn, NY

• 4.  RE: NYC Trash Removal and Recycling

Posted 30 days ago
    In Los Angeles the separation of recyclables is unnecessary in many neighborhoods. Why pay those high trash bills and risk an improper separation citation when you can just spread your trash among the tents, rats, needles and poop in so many neighborhoods.

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to live for free on the streets of California." Miss Liberty never lived in LA.

Larry Larsen
    Laundromat123.com
    Anaheim, CA
    Distributor - Insurance - Consulting
    Cell: (714) 390-9969

• 5.  RE: NYC Trash Removal and Recycling

Posted 30 days ago
    Avi,

I totally agree that NYC cannot hold themselves to the very same standards they impose on businesses. I've believed for quite a few years that NYC administration despises the free enterprise system and is actually unnecessarily hostile to small businesses.

That said....Count your lucky stars that you weren't  doing business 25 years ago when The Mob was controlling all commercial trash removal.
    Back then, I was only allowed ONE trash company.
    I had a 1-1/2 yd dumpster picked up 3x a week. Mostly soap bottles and boxes...Stuff that they actually WANT because the carters make money off of those materials. What did I get? A 10 year contract with them even if I didn't want them, and it was automatically renewable (on their terms of course).
    Back then 25 years ago, I was paying $350/month for that dumpster, PLUS a $150/month "dumpster rental" fee. So $500/month for paper and plastic that was mostly AIR in the dumpster!
    I could not cancel. I could not take my trash home with me. And I could not shop around for a better price. If I tried that, they would report me to NYC DEP and I would get ticketed every day that I did not use them.

Then ....Rudy Giuliani became Mayor. He created the "Trade Waste Commission" which automatically declared all dumpster contracts ILLEGAL!!!
    Then, He allowed competition.....My $500/month bill went down to $125/month.

Thank you Rudy! The best mayor NYC ever had!!!

Paulie B
    Multiple Mat Owner since 1976
    New York City, NY

• 6.  RE: NYC Trash Removal and Recycling

Posted 26 days ago
    I agree Rudy was the best. I will always be a big fan!

i don't know if you heard but the city is now talking about splitting the city into zones and having carters bid for exclusive rights to each zone!

Avi Sharabi
    Brooklyn, NY

• 7.  RE: NYC Trash Removal and Recycling

Posted 25 days ago
    That's so the city can get kickbacks from the bids. The price of trash removal WILL go up.

Paulie B
    Multiple Mat Owner since 1976
    New York City, NY