Open Forum

New Store

• 1.  New Store

Posted 25 days ago
    We're thinking of opening our own store, within our own commercial building we buy or build.  I've had trouble pinning down a couple hard benchmarks as it relates to # of laundries in a zip code, city, CSA/MSA or what have u...  ​  Does anyone have reliable experience in using some type of deployment benchmarks for us to analyze across where we may open such a store vs current outlets/competition?

------------------------------
    Ken Schmidt
    Oregon
    Join CLA - Enjoy Membership Benefits

• 2.  RE: New Store

Posted 24 days ago
    15-20 years ago I took a serious look at having a laundromat in Oregon. At that time the politics of that state were not good but nothing like what they have become. Now people have told me that there are locations that are great. No doubt this is correct. But that was not my experience. Everything I found for sale was in an area that I did not want any part of. The meth heads were cutting hoses and letting the water run while they removed the machine from the building. Hopefully that state has cleaned up their drug issues but at that time there was no way I wanted to be there.

Curt Harrington

• 3.  RE: New Store

Posted 24 days ago
    "Deployment benchmarks" is terminology I've never heard used in the Laundromat business. I think you're asking how do you know where to locate a good Laundromat site in relation to other existing Laundromat locations. Success In site selection is based on the what I call the "stool of success" or "PEP."

The first leg is population. You need enough population to merit a Laundromat. In an urban setting a minimum of 25,000 people are needed in a one mile radius; free from competition in that one mile radius. Increased population means competition in that one mile can exist. The one mile radius is important because in an urban setting 90% of your customers will come from a one mile radius of your store.

The second leg is exposure. Your customers need to be able to find your Laundromat and visibility is also an excellent advertisement. You should be visible for at least three hundred feet unobstructed. Monument and pole signs near the street are advantages. Lighting on the storefront sign should be available. Location on an arterial roadway is a major plus. The faster the speed on the roadway the greater the visibility distance would be needed..

The third leg relates to the need for adequate parking. People with loads of clothes don't want to carry it across parking lot traffic lanes. My rule is one parking space for every 400 SqFt of Laundromat size for good parking. Great parking is one space for every 300 SqFt. 3,000 SqFt store would have ten unobstructed parking spaces plus a handicap space (takes two space.) This is why a free standing building with great parking is the best location. Limited parking or competitive parking from neighboring tenants impacts growth and overall use.

Population, Exposure and Parking or PEP is the way to consider a Laundromat site. Or think of it as a three leg stool. All three legs are needed to achieve success. Don't ignore any leg or your Laundromat won't stay upright. Of course there are many more considerations, but this brief information should get you started.

Larry Larsen
    Laundromat123.com
    Anaheim, CA
    Distributor - Insurance - Consulting
    Cell: (714) 390-9969

• 4.  RE: New Store

Posted 24 days ago
    Thx Larry.  Exactly what we were looking for...appreciate the info