Open Forum

Fill times

• 1.  Fill times

Posted 08-14-2019 14:49
      |   view attached
    See attached data sheet for my washers.

What is considered normal average fill times for 20-lb, 30-lb, 40-lb, 60-lb, 80-lb, and 100-lb washers.
    I have been unable to find that information anywhere.
    Thank you

------------------------------
    Olu Holdings
    MySuperClean Wash
    Duncanville, Texas
    Join CLA - Enjoy Membership Benefits

• 2.  RE: Fill times

Posted 08-14-2019 16:29
    Edited by MICHAEL WALSH 08-14-2019 16:29
    Olu,

Another bit of useful data would be to show the correlation between the city water pressure & recorded fill times.

Maybe somebody could help foot the bill for data logging equipment at some of our laundromats???

Correct me if I am wrong but I don't believe there has been much change when it comes to washing machine water valves (Dole Style).  On our 6 load machines we have 1" water valves similar to the Reverse Osmosis Equipment over in our car wash ... different voltage though.

MICHAEL WALSH www.kingkoin.com
    King Koin Laundry, Car n Dog Wash
    Bismarck ND

• 3.  RE: Fill times

Posted 08-14-2019 18:00
    Olu,

Exactly what is your concern?  Not enough water?  Too much water?  Cycle runs too long?

Fill times will vary depending on the programmed water level, local water pressure, size of the water lines, etc.  Thus, there is no "right" fill time for any specific washer.

Generally, it's more productive to concentrate on keeping your equipment clean than to worry about how many seconds it takes to fill a bath in your washer.

Larry Adamski
    Muskegon Laundromat
    Muskegon, Michigan

• 4.  RE: Fill times

Posted 08-14-2019 18:11
    The reason you can't find the information is because few people would want to independently review the information obtained. The customary calculation is a total time measuring the fill and cycle time together. This would be useful in deterring how many cycles per day could be sold. What is the use off fill time information?

Fill time is influenced by water pressure (including variations during the time of day,) water temperature setting, water level settling on first wash, water pipe size, fill hose size and number of hose connections available on the model of washer. (Some washers have multiple hose connections to speed fill time.)

What can be confusing is the load balancing action that begins with the start of drum movement during the fill cycle. This can blur the actual fill time to someone viewing the washer during a wash cycle start.

I wonder if more business income would be generated by spending time developing advertising strategies and customer interface than spending time creation of analysis tools with questionable relevance.

Larry Larsen
    Laundromat123.com
    Anaheim, CA
    Distributor - Insurance - Consulting
    Cell: (714) 390-9969

• 5.  RE: Fill times

Posted 08-14-2019 19:44
    Thank you for all the comments.

A customer complained about long hot water fill time in one of the machines (W9-2) and another one wrote online that we were limiting hot water flow to save money.  I checked the machine and thought the same.

I decided to check the average fill times using the IR device and I found a thin film of dirt stopped by the filter on the 20-lb machine with the longest fill time (W9-2). Water pressure was quite high when I directed the flow into a bucket, so pressure did not seem to be the problem.

I was planning on looking at all the machines with longer fill times first, hence my question.  I guess I will just regularly check them all and often.  Many thanks for your comments.

Olu Holdings
    MySuperClean Wash
    Duncanville, Texas

• 6.  RE: Fill times

Posted 08-14-2019 20:58
    Edited by CURT HARRINGTON 08-15-2019 04:28
    Check everything involved with hot water. Filters at water heaters along with filters at each machine. Perhaps your plumber left a valve partially closed. I think 31 minutes for normal wash and 24 for PP is good. I would say 25 but that confuses the customer thinking they need to deposit another quarter.
    Look inside your valve to see if it has a restriction orifice. If it does remove that **** thing.

Curt Harrington

• 7.  RE: Fill times

Posted 08-15-2019 11:24
    I've always observed the fill time using one valve (hot or cold) always took longer than using both valves (warm).

Chris Mallam
    Norfolk VA

• 8.  RE: Fill times

Posted 08-15-2019 11:39
    Olu,
    Be sure to also check your drain valve.  There could be something that is allowing some water to trickle by and creating a longer fill time.  Total cycle time is fill time & run time.  Consider all aspects of filling the washer.  The ability of the drain valve to seal completely is the other side of the equation.

Karl Hinrichs
    HK Laundry Equipment Inc.
    President
    Armonk, NY
    914-273-5757
    karl@HKLaundry.com