Message Image  

Open Forum

Secure safe

• 1.  Secure safe

Posted 08-05-2019 11:03
    I need a safe to keep quarter roles and dollar bills.
    The idea is that when my employees have a changer jam and the secondary is empty or if they need extra change they can call us for the code and take care of the customer until we can get there to address the situation. I see great options on Amazon but the reviews say they can be opened with a bic pen. Any one find a better option?.

------------------------------
    Gail Cole
    President
    Coastal Clean Laundry
    Leland NC
    Maytag - Sponsored Webinar September 17, 2019

• 2.  RE: Secure safe

Posted 08-05-2019 11:14
    I did find this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Q2NVNNB/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A1M2BRA0NJCLN9&psc=1

Gail Cole
    President
    Coastal Clean Laundry
    Leland NC

• 3.  RE: Secure safe

Posted 08-07-2019 14:00
    I bought 2 of these on Amazon about 3 years ago. They work great and have a drop for employees who don't have a code but need to drop money.

Less than $300.

Sentry Safe DH109E Depository Safe, 1.09 ft3, 14w x 15-3/5d x 24h, Black (SENDH109E)

ROGER OWENS
    O-Kleen Laundry & Dry Cleaning
    Elkton MD

• 4.  RE: Secure safe

Posted 08-07-2019 17:10
    Edited by MICHAEL WALSH 08-07-2019 19:24
    Gail & others,

We went through two of similar as posted Sentry etc with the result being almost impossible to open them when they broke internally.

I would shop for one closer to what locksmiths carry that make it so you do not have bend over to use & still have it bolted down.  Also one with an emergency physical key workaround to open ... in case its electronic code process with that specific latch quits working.

You might have to sacrifice the fire rating without getting into out of sight sticker shock for buying.  I would not rule out a quality gun safe that is easy to change the code on & emergency physical key workaround.

MICHAEL WALSH www.kingkoin.com
    King Koin Laundry, Car n Dog Wash
    Bismarck ND

• 5.  RE: Secure safe

Posted 08-07-2019 18:30
    This is the safe I use. It has a 1 foot steel door and a foot of reinforced concrete with rebar support surrounding it. There are two dials that require different codes and you can enable a time lock so you have only a short window during the day that it can even be opened. I highly recommend it. I wish I could tell you the cost but it came with the building. Oh I almost forgot, it also has thousands of steel boxes inside it that require 2 keys to open if you want some more added security.

Peter H. Mayberry
    Anytime Laundry
    Omaha, NE

• 6.  RE: Secure safe

Posted 08-07-2019 20:51
    Edited by LARRY LARSEN 08-07-2019 20:53
    A realistic solution for a good safe is to buy an old cabinet for a Standard changer (or any other heavy duty cabinet made by another brand of changer) and install it as you would a changer in your back room. You can buy these cabinets for a few hundred dollars each. They are not fire resistant (as most of the cheap safes) but they are pretty good as an anti-theft solution. When you strip out the interior you end up with a lot of storage and the ability to mount a shelf to ensure you can store lots of coin and bills. You should be able to find these high security cabinets for about $200 and $35 for new Medico lock set. They are harder to penetrate than the thin walled Amazon changers mentioned. These are also great for home storage safes. If you want to secure access, you can provide a key sealed in an envelope so you know when an employee has accessed your money.

The second level of security is a true one or two hour burglary resistant safe which can often be found on Craig's List or contacting local locksmith and asking about a used safe. The level of security desired drives the price. There are two major types of small commercial safes, fire or burglary. Storing papers? Go with fire resistant. Storing money? Burglary resistant.

Larry Larsen
    Laundromat123.com
    Anaheim, CA
    Distributor - Insurance - Consulting
    Cell: (714) 390-9969

• 7.  RE: Secure safe

Posted 08-07-2019 20:54
    Peter, WTH? You crack me up!! Is that vault where you keep all of your Bitcoin??? 🤣🤣🤣

Dave Menz
    Queen City Laundry Chain
    https://www.queencitylaundry.com
    Laundry Magician Pickup & Delivery
    https://www.laundrymagician.com
    Cincinnati, OH

• 8.  RE: Secure safe

Posted 08-07-2019 23:37
    Edited by Peter Mayberry 08-08-2019 22:37
    Dave

It is a vault. I bought an old Bank of the West and converted it into a laundry. If you google Anytime Laundry Bellevue NE there are better pictures.

Along with the safe there is a tall brick monument tower that is grandfathered in that also came with the property. It's like a private 4 story storage unit made completely of brick and concrete. I guess I could use that as a safe also.

I don’t keep bitcoin in there but I do keep my 12 word code used to access my Bitcoin in there. I cut it into 4 pieces with three words on each piece of paper. Three of the four pieces of paper are in random safety deposit boxes with the 4 piece of paper being at a completely different location.

Peter H. Mayberry
    Anytime Laundry
    Omaha, NE

• 9.  RE: Secure safe

Posted 08-08-2019 18:52
    Now now Dave,
    Bitcoin actually did do well this past week. Lets see what happens next week with stocks going for a nosedive.

Curt Harrington

• 10.  RE: Secure safe

Posted 08-10-2019 16:10
    Your looking for accountability and security.  I like the idea of the 'changer cabinet' for security from general theft.  Install several digital keypad safes that are all different.  In this fashion; 1) staff call you with the issue, 2) you give a code to one of the 'boxes', 3) staff can take care of customers until you get there.

You'll have control of the monies in each 'box'.  The staff will be accountable but NOT responsible for the other 'boxes'.

You can do the same without the cabinet to contain the boxes if you have a secure room.

Timothy Foster
    Multi-
    Timothy Foster Person
    Toledo