Open Forum

Gift Certificates for Drop-Off Service

• 1.  Gift Certificates for Drop-Off Service

Posted 01-27-2019 16:31
    Has anyone successfully used Gift Certificates?

Over the years, I tried this promo twice in all my mats. I bought nice numbered, pre-printed certificates with our store name.
    Both times they bombed out.

I figured that there would be at least SOME drop-off customers who would want to buy a gift certificate as a nice time & work saving gesture for a friend or a relative. Totally bombed out for me, but maybe I marketed them wrong.

Anyone have success with this?

------------------------------
    Paulie B
    Multiple Mat Owner since 1976
    New York City, NY
    Join CLA - Enjoy Membership Benefits

• 2.  RE: Gift Certificates for Drop-Off Service

Posted 01-27-2019 16:56
    Paulie,

I also tried selling gift certificates for self serve use.  I don't think I sold even one.  Just one of several bad ideas that I had.

Larry Adamski
    Muskegon Laundromat
    Spring Lake MI

• 3.  RE: Gift Certificates for Drop-Off Service

Posted 01-27-2019 22:52
    Paulie, We do offer gift certificates for our dropoff service at our stores. I'm not sure I'd call it a success but we sell a few a year at each store. When someone wants to purchase one as a gift we're always glad we have them available .

Dave Menz
    Queen City Laundry Chain
    Cincinnati, OH

• 4.  RE: Gift Certificates for Drop-Off Service

Posted 01-28-2019 13:21
    I've never offered it, but had it requested twice. Once at Christmas-time, a mother wanted to give her son $50 worth of laundry services (I'm pretty sure that was a gift to herself, lol). And another time, a daughter wanted her mother to have some laundry services. I simply came back to my office, used Microsoft Word to create a generic gift certificate to give to them. Easy peasy and the customer was happy.

I don't really see a lot of people that come into the mat wanting these to make it something standard. I might think about re-visiting that once we offer full-service WDF pick up and delivery. Then I will market side-by-side and see what the interest is.

REBECCA Jenkins
    Store Owner/ Employee
    Corner Wash Club
    www.cornerwashclub.com
    Largo FL

• 5.  RE: Gift Certificates for Drop-Off Service

Posted 01-28-2019 18:38
    We don't & never had WDF ... but because we have bill acceptors on our car wash & dog wash payment centers we did take the plunge of getting setup with what is somewhat the equivalent to paper gift certificates.  The decision was partially made because of some people insisting on using credit card or paying with a company check ... so that ... here this they are safe from the IRS.  It is not really very fool proof evidence as without other verification a dishonest employee or owner could convert it to personal use pretty easy.  Something like Rebecca's inferring "(I'm pretty sure that was a gift to herself, lol)"

We did donate some to local fundraising when they would auction gift certificates.  They were $3 (1 USA flag on it) & $7 (2 USA flags on it) to show them apart.  The Vantage Coincos were programmed by a distributor to accept them.  The non profit fundraiser would get them donated from us for free & supposedly sell them for at least the value posted on them ... not sure?

Maybe the fancy payment receptacles to use the washers & dryers have that capability.  It seems like some have used tokens as gift certificates ... not sure.

Michael Walsh www.kingkoin.com
    Store Owner/ Employee
    King Koin Laundry, Car n Dog Wash
    Bismarck ND

• 6.  RE: Gift Certificates for Drop-Off Service

Posted 02-07-2019 09:12
    Edited by Rich Cruz 02-07-2019 09:11

We at LaundryAngels.com concentrate on Mother's day, Valentine's day and Christmas. we sell a $100. 00 certificate for $85.00 and a $50.00 for $45.00.

Last year Mother's day sold 68, Valentine's day 43 and Christmas time 22.

Michael @LaundryAngels.com and Suds City Laundromat

Michael Hoskam
    BSB Brokerage LLC
    53 Fairwood Road

Madison, NJ 07940

www.bsbbrokerage.com

www.sudscitylaundromat.com

www.laundryangels.com

Michael@LaundryAngels.com

"Got Laundry?"

Virus-free. www.avast.com

• 7.  RE: Gift Certificates for Drop-Off Service

Posted 02-07-2019 13:31
    Edited by Paulie B 02-07-2019 13:33
    Michael,

I never thought of marketing them that way....at a discount on Holidays.
    Great ideas!

But don't some people just buy them for their own use so they can get your services at a discount?

Paulie B
    Multiple Mat Owner since 1976
    New York City, NY

• 8.  RE: Gift Certificates for Drop-Off Service

Posted 02-08-2019 12:01
    I've killed 2 birds with 1 stone. For those who use my change machine to drain the quarters for their laundry at their apartment buildings... I posted a sign on changer, " Due to non customer Change Machine abuse no cash refunds Only in store credit issued" and yes I have a kill switch at my call window. I can stop changer in middle of dispensing. I have prepaid customer loyalty cards that I can hand out instead of cash or I can set up an account and have a credit for them to use for wash and fold or for dry cleaning.

Harry Pruyn
    Solano Cleaning Center
    1219 Solano Ave.
    Albany, Ca
    510 524-0254

• 9.  RE: Gift Certificates for Drop-Off Service

Posted 02-08-2019 17:14
    Michael,
    That is a fantastic idea.  We to sell gift certificates but sell very little.  Thanks for the information.

Bobbi Calderon
    Bobbi Calderon Person
    Council Bluffs IA