Open Forum

Attendant Duties

• 1.  Attendant Duties

Posted 02-11-2019 14:22
    I was wondering what others often do for attendant duties.  We have a list of stuff that needs to be done each day, some multiple times a day, but really it's about just keeping things up and going, presentable and customer friendly.  But of course I want to make sure we are not missing out on key details either.

------------------------------
    Josh Strong
    Owner
    Lee's Summit Laundry
    Phone: (816) 347-8847
    Web: www.leessummitlaundry.com
    Join CLA - Enjoy Membership Benefits

• 2.  RE: Attendant Duties

Posted 02-12-2019 11:09
    Good morning,

I would be interested in seeing your list if you can send it to me.

Gail Vladimir
    Bakers Centre Laundry
    Levittown PA

• 3.  RE: Attendant Duties

Posted 02-12-2019 12:12
    Hi John... we utilize several lists that I laminate and tape to the counters for quick reference. The opening and closing procedures are laminated and must be initialed by the attendants with a wet/dry marker daily. I will cut and paste here for ease of viewing, but if anyone is interested in the actual template just let me know and I will send or attach here. =)

This is just a customer service reminder that I have on one of the columns at eye level for the attendants to remember. 
    CUSTOMER SERVICE IS THE NAME OF THE GAME!!!!
    -  IF YOU SEE A CUSTOMER COMING OR LEAVING – GRAB THE DOOR FOR THEM!!
    -  ALWAYS SAY HELLO AND MAKE EYE CONTACT – THIS WILL ENSURE THAT CUSTOMERS KNOW THAT THERE IS SOMEONE THERE TO HELP THEM               AND ALSO GIVE THEM THE UNIQUE LAUNDRY EXPERIENCE WE ARE SELLING!
    -  IF THEY NEED ASSISTANCE GETTING THEIR LAUNDRY IN AND OUT – OFFER CURBSIDE ASSISTANCE!!
    -  NOTIFY CUSTOMERS OF LAUNDRY AMENITIES (FREE COFFEE/SNACKS, COUCHES, JUKEBOX, KIDS AREA, ETC.)
    -  SMILE – TALK – BE OUTGOING AND FRIENDLY

This is the duty list:
    Attendant Daily Duties
    DAY SHIFT - OPENING MUSTS:
    - Put ashtray outside.
    - Turn on all TV's.
    - Check bathrooms to ensure they are clean, have toilet paper, have soap, have paper towels. Fix whatever is necessary.
    - Ensure all employee access only doors are closed and locked.
    - Perform walk-thru of laundry to ensure it is clean and ready for business (machines, magazine rack, coffee area, kid's area, folding tables, customer tables, attendant area, etc.).
    - Fill Keurig machine with water and make sure all supplies are filled (creamers, sugar, snacks, napkins, etc.).
    - Turn on fans in BOTH hallways.
    ALL SHIFTS DUTIES:
    - Provide EXCELLENT customer service (open doors, say hello, offer assistance, help understand machines and pricing).
    - Process any Wash/Dry/Fold orders.
    - Keep attendant area clean and organized (especially any customer items).
    - Clean ALL dryer lint screens (do towards end of shift).
    - Periodically open each washer and spin it to ensure there is no left-over laundry or dirt/debris. Clean if necessary.
    - Wipe down tops of all machines – open soap dispensers and clean if dirty.
    - Wipe down folding and customer tables.
    - Check on bathroom – clean as necessary.
    - Check mop sink – clean as necessary!
    - Sweep and mop floors as necessary.
    NIGHT SHIFT CLOSING MUSTS:
    - Turn off all 3 TV's.
    - Empty all garbage cans into dumpster out back.
    - Perform walk-thru of laundry to ensure it is clean and ready for the next day's business (machine tops CLEAN and dusted, every washer slightly open, magazine rack, coffee area, kid's area, folding tables, customer tables, attendant area, etc.).
    - ENSURE that all customer items are properly tagged and organized for the next shift.
    - Turn off fans in BOTH hallways.
    - EMPTY AND BRING ASHTRAY INSIDE!!

This is the checklist they have to sign off on... redundant, but this one is for accountability. 
    Opening Checklist:
    Turn on all 3 TV's (including cable boxes)
    Check bathrooms for cleanliness and if needs toilet paper/paper towels. (If dirty - clean, if needs supplies - fill)
    Lock employee bathroom. Unlock Public bathroom.
    Check ACCESS DOOR in public restroom to ensure it is LOCKED.
    Ensure ALL employee only access doors are LOCKED
    Perform walk-thru of laundry and ensure it is CLEAN for customers.
    Straighten magazines on rack - put any back if found in laundry.
    Straighten kid's play area.
    Check customer folding tables and wipe down if dirty.
    Check Tables and chairs and wipe down if dirty.
    Open each washer and turn the inside to ensure that there is nothing in there (coins, dirt, hair, debris, etc… VERY IMPORTAT) - also, check soap dispensers.
    Closing Checklist:
     - Turn off all 3 TV's (including cable boxes)
     - Empty all garbage cans (dumpster out back).
     - Check each machine (washers/dryers) for any left-over clothes or spills/garbage/muck. Clean if needed.
     - Ensure that each washer door is open a few inches - every washer!
     - Make sure any toys/kid items are back in play area, straighten.
     - Make sure attendent area is clean and all customer items are properly organized for the next shift.
     - Check bathrooms to see if need stocked or cleaned. Clean any messes.
     - Clean coffee area.
     - Dust all washer tops.

REBECCA Jenkins
    Corner Wash Club
    www.cornerwashclub.com
    Largo FL

• 4.  RE: Attendant Duties

Posted 02-12-2019 16:44
    Wow.  Thats quite informative and impressive.  If you do not mind, I'd like to borrow some ideas from your list.

Regarding things like helping customers bring stuff in, out, holding doors.  This stuff just comes naturally to me as something that should be done.  I mean, I do this anywhere I go.

But the number of people I have heard say "You would really carry this in?", or "I have to come back if you are going to help me carry my baskets in", "Thank you, no one has offered to help before", just things like this, I am astounded that this should be a surprise to anyone.  Have we here in 2019 become so blind to customer satisfaction that people are ultimately blown away when this default service is offered?  It just amazes me, but hey, I grew in a small farming town up in Minnesota.  Helping people out, holding doors, it's just the normal thing to do.

Josh Strong
    Owner
    Lee's Summit Laundry
    Phone: (816) 347-8847
    Web: www.leessummitlaundry.com

• 5.  RE: Attendant Duties

Posted 02-14-2019 10:00
    Thank you so much, Josh!

I couldn't agree with you more. It has been amazing to see the response to this "no-brainer" of customer service. Maybe there are simply not enough mats that do the small things like opening up doors and helping with baskets. But as we all know, a happy customer is a loyal customer, so we will always strive to do the small things that mean so much!

REBECCA Jenkins
    Corner Wash Club
    www.cornerwashclub.com
    Largo FL

• 6.  RE: Attendant Duties

Posted 02-13-2019 16:26
    : REBECCA Jenkins,
    I'm a newbie who is in process of setting up my mat.  I would LOVE the template you use as a direction for my attendants and myself quite frankly.  Thanks in advance!!

Andy Johnson
    Owner
    Super Suds Laundromats, LLC
    Wilmington, MA

• 7.  RE: Attendant Duties

Posted 02-14-2019 10:02
    I've had a few people hit me up for the actual documents of my duty lists, so I am going to go ahead and attach them here for anyone else that wants them. Glad they can help a bit! =)

REBECCA Jenkins
    Corner Wash Club
    www.cornerwashclub.com
    Largo FL

Attachment(s)

• 8.  RE: Attendant Duties

Posted 02-14-2019 15:16
    No problem, here you go! Good luck with your new mat!

Attachment(s)