Open Forum

Pickup and Delivery

• 1.  Pickup and Delivery

Posted 12-05-2018 17:10
    ​I'm buying a laundromat and want to add pickup and delivery; the laundromat currently has WDF and Dry Cleaning drop-off, but there appears to be a fair amount of demand from customers for pickup and delivery. I've heard of delivery.com and Springboard, but wanted to know if there are others folks here have had experience with and what they think of the two I mentioned.

Also, they seem to offer more than just the pickup and delivery software but also do custom websites, digital marketing, etc. so if anyone has used these services I'd love to hear about it.

------------------------------
    Rich Flaherty
    Potential Investor
    Woodstock GA
    Join CLA - Enjoy Membership Benefits

• 2.  RE: Pickup and Delivery

Posted 12-05-2018 18:57
    Hi Rich,
          First let me say that adding pickup & delivery to an existing store is nothing to take lightly. It's a lot of work to do it well and build a great reputation. So many people think it's gonna be easy extra money but it's not. It's a completely different business model and should be treated as such. Way too many amateurs have already figured this out the hard way. However, if done well, it can be a great revenue source for a store owner but do not enter into this lightly. Take your time! When I entered the delivery business, I already had some great managers and team members in place and had been in this industry for about 7 years with 4 stores when we launched and it's still not been easy!!

Given you're new to this business (I assume), I'd recommend holding off for atleast 6-12 months minimum while you get your feet wet.  I've been a Springboard licensee for several years and couldn't be happier. Not only is their software very nice but their "add on" services that they offer are simply amazing. We use their software, customer service, drivers logistics tools, digital marketing, and website. I dont think they offer anything that we don't use. While nothing and no one is perfect, I've never been let down by anything they do or say.  The people at Springboard are second to none. They genuinely care about your success and will mentor you in anyway that they can. I have very high expectations for everyone that I partner with and I'm happy that I'm with Springboard. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask away. You can also call me if you'd like to. Lastly I do not work for, nor represent Springboard in any way. I'm simply a happy and satisfied customer.

Dave Menz
    Queen City Laundry Chain
    Cincinnati, OH

• 3.  RE: Pickup and Delivery

Posted 12-06-2018 17:18

Hey Rich - If you are a newbie you should definitely get your feet wet first for a few months (3-6) so you get a good lay of the land in your new business...there will definitely be things that come up that you weren't expecting... I started doing pickup and delivery 8 years ago and I haven't looked back... currently over 25,000 lbs/day with 22 trucks...It is by far the greatest opportunity currently in the laundry business regarding growth with smallest amount of risk investment...or what people like to say the best bang for your buck...it takes time to build and market the business... but when you learn from mistakes and capitalize on opportunities it is an amazing business! I use WashClubTrak and I am happy to answer all your questions off-line if you would like... Thanks, Rick

Rick Rome
    Store Owner/ Employee
    Wash Club
    Brooklyn NY

• 4.  RE: Pickup and Delivery

Posted 01-22-2019 01:01
    Have active wdf delivery service but struggling to keep packaging presentable through delivery process. Using Rhino bags and craft carry bags but clothes look beaten up when delivered.. help!

Mary Willis
    Store Owner/ Employee
    Newbury Park CA

• 5.  RE: Pickup and Delivery

Posted 01-23-2019 12:02
    Mary-

I have a video I can send you about packaging.

SEAN DUPREY
    Store Owner/ Employee
    Springboard
    Cranston RI

• 6.  RE: Pickup and Delivery

Posted 01-28-2019 17:38
    Hi Sean,
    I would be interested in your video.

Bobbi Calderon
    Store Owner/ Employee
    Council Bluffs IA

• 7.  RE: Pickup and Delivery

Posted 02-07-2019 09:11
    Edited by SEAN DUPREY 02-14-2019 12:12
    Here you go Bobbi, if you have any interest in learning about our pickup and delivery business please let me know.

Thanks

SEAN DUPREY
    Business Development   

Springboard :: Cloud Based Laundry Pickup and Delivery Software

www.getspringboard.com

• 8.  RE: Pickup and Delivery

Posted 02-08-2019 17:15
    Sean,
    Thanks for sharing your video.  I have a Pick up & Del service but always looking for new ways to improve it.

Bobbi Calderon
    Bobbi Calderon Person
    Council Bluffs IA

• 9.  RE: Pickup and Delivery

Posted 01-29-2019 12:47
    Hi Sean,

I am interested in that video to.

Thanks

Simon Elwardany
    Pomona CA

• 10.  RE: Pickup and Delivery

Posted 01-31-2019 15:46
    Edited by SEAN DUPREY 02-14-2019 12:13
    Simon-

Thanks for the note, do you provide pickup and delivery from your store? I'd be happy to discuss our software with you if you are interested.

Thanks

Sean

• 11.  RE: Pickup and Delivery

Posted 04-04-2019 20:46
    Hi Sean, I also would be interested in your video

Colleen Taber
    Bubbles Laundry Spa, LLC

• 12.  RE: Pickup and Delivery

Posted 04-05-2019 11:21
    Hi Sean,
    Pls send me the video about packaging.
    Thank you.
    Michael@LaundryAngels.com
    Michael Hoskam, LaundryAngels.com

Michael Hoskam
    Suds City Laundromat
    Madison NJ

• 13.  RE: Pickup and Delivery

Posted 01-27-2019 08:36
    Hey Mary - What size poly bags do you use?...you should have a few varieties, if not just ping me and I'll send you my vendor's info...also, tie the corners of your exterior bags before transporting that will keep contents inside tight when moving around and make a better impression upon delivery
    thumbnail image
    thumbnail image

Rick Rome
    Store Owner/ Employee
    Wash Club
    Brooklyn NY

• 14.  RE: Pickup and Delivery

Posted 02-13-2019 17:01
    Rick - on another note can you share how you keep orders straight when they get to your laundry shop? With so much Landry (!) do you ever mix up orders??
    thanks!
    Mary

Mary Willis
    Mary Willis Person
    Newbury Park CA

• 15.  RE: Pickup and Delivery

Posted 02-15-2019 17:16

Hey Mary - Good question...not sure you are aware or not but we don't have self serve customers anymore...there not allowed in...only drop-off or pickup and delivery...This helps a lot!...Yes we lose things...general rule of thumb is 1-2% of revenues goes to paying out customers for damages or lost items...we are at less then 1%...how??... a number of factors...we have 35 high def cameras at each facility...it allows us to get a good idea of what happened, we use different colored bags for different areas which also helps narrow down possibilities and easier to track... customer order history shed's light as well...most important is our machine tracking system and order logs within the WashClubTrak POS... It's not just 1 of these things that helps, its a combined effort...If I had to pick one thing you should do (outside the obvious of using software...hopefully ours) I would say get a real good camera system....If you want to talk off-line please feel free to ping me

Rick Rome
    Wash Club
    Brooklyn NY

• 16.  RE: Pickup and Delivery

Posted 02-15-2019 17:25
    Thank you, Rick. Cameras are certainly an option as are different colored bags. Things kind of fall apart when laundry is brought in for cleaning. With folding going on in a few places at once we go tend to mix up pieces versus destroy or lose. You have a LOT of laundry in your place all at once which suggests organization. Do you tag every wdf piece that comes in?
    Thank you !!

Mary Willis
    Mary Willis Person
    Newbury Park CA

• 17.  RE: Pickup and Delivery

Posted 02-15-2019 17:52
    heavens no!... We have a tight system in place that has allowed us to scale our business...all of this through software..specifically WashClubTrak... we definitely have mix ups as well...there is human interaction when processing, but not from cart mix ups but more from miss tagging a bag with the wrong receipt ...general human laziness...our system does help control this along with rewards workers based on performance...the goal of my business is to automate everything possible...this has a cost but if you are in it to win it then its marginal relative to the long term success you will get...For example, we have a call center...we use AWS bots and other CRM systems to help facilitate this...the fewer human touches within CS the better...yes there are times folks want to speak to people, and we support this...but more times then not people don't want to speak to other people, just get the answer quick and move on... they may ask what is your price per pound or do you service my area...all these things we utilize technology to expedite which in turn gives a better customer experience...

Rick Rome
    Wash Club
    Brooklyn NY

• 18.  RE: Pickup and Delivery

Posted 02-16-2019 14:59
    May I ask what you charge for pick up/delivery services? I'm doing that now in the mean time to build the business before we purchase a laundromat.
    Thanks!
    Tara

Tara McComas
    Tara McComas Person
    Blanchard OK

• 19.  RE: Pickup and Delivery

Posted 02-18-2019 09:26
    Hi Tara - Pricing varies based on location...the WashClubTrak software we use allows for a number of different pricing options based on operators desires...meaning we have tiered pricing... we also have the flexibility to charge different minimums based on the zip code also...in fact, we even have route logistics...so one area in town can be Mon & Thursday and another part of town can be Tuesday & Friday..in fact you can tie all 3 together if you really want to... so in short what we charge per pound varies from $1.19-$1.49...any other questions please let me know...happy to help

Rick Rome
    Wash Club
    Brooklyn NY

• 20.  RE: Pickup and Delivery

Posted 02-20-2019 07:16
    Should we be concerned. I think we should be...

https://www.tidedrycleanerstx.com/locations#find

They seem to be doing a big marketing push. They were on NPR this morning.

Conrad S. McLean
    Owner
    Bloomfield, NJ

• 21.  RE: Pickup and Delivery

Posted 02-20-2019 07:30

They are aggressive marketers and I actually know the owners well...they are smart and knowledgeable operators... but competition is healthy and just because you have Lebron James on your team doesn't mean you will win all the time...Focus on your business strengths and leverage that and work hard to improve on your weaknesses...that will allow you to take market share and move upward!

Rick Rome
    Owner/Operator
    WashClubTrak
    POS/Laundry Delivery Software
    New York
    Rick@washclubtrak.com

• 22.  RE: Pickup and Delivery

Posted 02-20-2019 07:35
    And now this popped up on my news feed. They are pushing hard!

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/hate-laundry-tide-launching-game-changing-solution-neighborhood-181714565.html

Conrad S. McLean
    Owner
    Bloomfield, NJ

• 23.  RE: Pickup and Delivery

Posted 02-20-2019 07:47
    You are assuming that every operator for Tide will know how to operate...Just like any business the key ingredient is the owner and employees... how to manage them and daily situations that arise...not the fancy marketing...yes that will help drive business initially but will it pass the smell test on a regular basis...It's good to know your competition but never fear it

Rick Rome
    Owner/Operator
    WashClubTrak
    New York
    Rick@washclubtrak.com

• 24.  RE: Pickup and Delivery

Posted 02-20-2019 09:36
    I completely agree with Rick. Any franchise is only as good as it's operator and team. I'm in Cincinnati Ohio which is P & G's headquarters. They launched a couple locations here first. One is very close to me and they have a horrible reputation. A great brand and big marketing budgets will help you in the beginning but you must execute to build trust. So far they're no threat to us whatsoever.

Dave Menz
    Queen City Laundry Chain
    Cincinnati, OH

• 25.  RE: Pickup and Delivery

Posted 02-27-2019 18:58
    Edited by Rich Cruz 02-27-2019 18:58
    Haven't really reviewed yet. Are they Tide the detergent or just riding the tide brand name and not associated?
    --
    Conrad S. McLean

• 26.  RE: Pickup and Delivery

Posted 02-27-2019 19:32
    Proctor & Gamble owns the Tide brand among many others. About 12-15 years ago they created an enterprise business that is trying to build franchises. The franchise is owned and operated by P&G. Some of these corporate entities are so arrogant that they think if they slap a successful brand name(like tide) onto an industry, they will dominate. They already learned after their Mr Clean Car Washes bombed that's not true. I think they've sold a lot of the Tide Dry Cleaners franchises, I guess to suckers. A 16 billion dollar company investing in a dying industry tells me they're clueless. I guess the Dry Cleaning model isn't doing well so now they're pivoting into laundry on top of their Dry Cleaning model. As Rick said, the reality is that although the market potential is enormous for laundry delivery, they will only be as successful as their franchisees. Each franchisee better be a rock star or they'll ruin the Tide brand. So far in Cincinnati, the Tide franchise locations have terrible reviews and reputations. I'm not impressed at all.

Dave Menz
    Queen City Laundry Chain
    Cincinnati, OH

• 27.  RE: Pickup and Delivery

Posted 02-28-2019 19:53
    OneClickCleaners.com.

William Harper
    The Laundry Room of Palmetto LLC
    Peachtree City GA

• 28.  RE: Pickup and Delivery

Posted 03-01-2019 11:40

OneClickCleaners.com.
    William Harper,  02-28-2019 19:52

I'm always a bit wary of companies that promote the franchise over customers, because it begs the question who is the customer?  Their # 1 call to action that draws your eye is right at the top of their website, "Own a Franchise".  ​

MATTHEW SIMMONS
    Laundry Operator and
    Wash & Fold Software Consultant
    www.CurbsideLaundries.com
    (562) 533-0053

• 29.  RE: Pickup and Delivery

Posted 03-04-2019 18:13
    I'm with Rick and Dave - they've got the P&G muscle behind them, but they will only be as good as their franchisees. I've been through several vendors that didn't work out for various reasons - people do business in strange ways! And if their franchisees can't handle their capacity through brick & mortar, they will look to outsourcing - which can be a huge opportunity for any store doing WDF.

But to the original question: yes, do it for 6 months, get into your groove, then open it up to delivery. I hesitate to mention platform competitor's names here, since I know Rick and Sean and their platforms are solid and I support them 100%! - but I do believe that your platform of choice depends on your own particular needs and technology comfort level.

Susan Becker
    Founder/CEO, LaunderBot
    East Bay, CA
    LaunderLink: Connecting WDF service providers to processors with excess capacity. Get in on the pickup & delivery game by doing only one thing: more laundry!

• 30.  RE: Pickup and Delivery

Posted 03-05-2019 08:55
    The expansion of some Laundromat owners into another business (pickup and delivery) is not viewed by all as changing the competition matrix. I think it is.

In a self-serve Laundromat the owner is protected from large, corporate advantages in the arenas where individual owners compete. There are no economies of scale that give an edge to big competitors because our business is really the sale of gas, water and electric through vended machines. Corporations don't buy utilities cheaper than individuals; in this way we are protected.

When we enter the arena to compete against corporate giants like Proctor & Gamble (Tide Drycleaners and pickup and delivery) we are a David venturing onto the business battlefield without any stones in our pouch.

Money, management, technology, lawyers, contracts and more money will kill us off in the future. Success for us in pickup and delivery will fade and then disappear.

When drones are picking up and delivering the dirty clothes, the small guy will be put out of business.  Advertising, promotion and expertise will be the ultimate winning factors of the pickup and delivery business.

I'm happy for those who are making money now on this expansion of their business, but I believe the future will follow in the same pattern as the demise of the small farm when big agriculture got into the game.

I advise owners to be more competitive in their core business of self-serve and neighborhood WDF laundry facilities. The future for individual Laundromat owners in pickup and delivery is bleak. The future of WDF in Laundromats is questionable.

This is just me looking into my crystal ball and offering an opinion. You're entitled to your own prediction of the future.

Larry Larsen
    Laundromat123.com
    Anaheim, CA
    Distributor - Insurance - Consulting
    Cell: (714) 390-9969

• 31.  RE: Pickup and Delivery

Posted 03-05-2019 11:08
    Larry-

We find many progressive laundromat owners are taking advantage of their existing infrastructure and increasing their market share by reaching out to non-laundromat customers.  We firmly believe this is a local business and best controlled by the operator doing the laundry. Let's assume your laundromat does $300,000 a year in traditional laundry business and you start a pick-up and delivery business with 50-100 orders per week.  That would increase your top line sales to between $400,000 - $500,000 per year. This is adding an asset light business (the delivery business) to an asset intensive business (the laundromat).  This would increase the owners cashflow, increase the asset utilization of his machines and increase the value of their laundromat business without investing in more machines. I know several operators adding this kind of revenue to their books without the traditional hassle of a brick and mortar location.

SEAN DUPREY
    Springboard
    Cranston RI

• 32.  RE: Pickup and Delivery

Posted 03-05-2019 11:30
    Edited by MATTHEW SIMMONS 03-05-2019 13:16

When we enter the arena to compete against corporate giants like Proctor & Gamble (Tide Drycleaners and pickup and delivery) we are a David venturing onto the business battlefield without any stones in our pouch.

Money, management, technology, lawyers, contracts and more money will kill us off in the future. Success for us in pickup and delivery will fade and then disappear.

When drones are picking up and delivering the dirty clothes, the small guy will be put out of business.  Advertising, promotion and expertise will be the ultimate winning factors of the pickup and delivery business
    Larry Larsen,  03-05-2019 08:54
    You bring up some interesting points of how the business landscape will change with pickup and delivery.  We are still at its infancy.  At our laundromat, we have more competition in pickup and delivery than ever and we are growing faster than ever.  Whenever there is an explosion in consumer growth, big money will follow and will bring about innovation.

That being said, David beat Goliath using technology.  Technology evens the playing field and allows individual laundromats like ours to compete and outclass the big players with infinite pocketbooks.  Having the best pickup and delivery software around costs about the same as a couple drinks at Starbucks per day, which allows you to compete against the big boys.

As far as drones delivering clothes.  That may be entirely possible.  The average pickup and delivery order is about 40 pounds, so it may take a few drones and if that's the way things go, I'm sure there will be Uber like drone services, which will be cheaper than hiring drivers.

And it may be that machines fold the clothes themselves, and before that is a household product, we're going to make bank when the machines are too big to fit comfortably in a home, but we can 'employ' them.

There will always be reasons to hunker down and avoid the future, but we always need to adapt and innovate.  I think the future is a lot more precarious for in store wash and fold than it is for pickup and delivery.  Why would you drive to the laundromat, when the laundromat will come to your doorstep?

MATTHEW SIMMONS
    Laundry Operator and
    Wash & Fold Software Consultant
    www.CurbsideLaundries.com
    (562) 533-0053

• 33.  RE: Pickup and Delivery

Posted 03-05-2019 12:19
    Well said by both Matthew and Sean. I love this type of challenge and debate among us. It makes us all think differently which challenges us and causes us to grow. If an entrepreneur isn't growing they're dieing.

I'm always amazed at the mindset that big corporate money always wins. While there are certainly examples of that, they don't apply here, imo.  I'd take a local passionate entrepreneur with grit and fire in their belly over a large corporation with little to no passion behind them. The reality is, you can't hire or buy the grit in an American entrepreneur. That fire comes from within and it's personal.

The pickup & delivery business is a service business. In a service business, execution is everything. Now let's assume that every tide franchisee is the finest entrepreneur in America. The franchise model that P&G is building can and will be successful but that doesn't mean world domination of wash, dry, fold but quite the opposite. They're just another competitor. Here's the problem for them, it's a capacity issue!

Dry cleaning is a very different model than a laundromat. Their stores are dry cleaners first and foremost, that are trying to add an extra revenue stream of wash, dry, fold and good for them. They have very limited capacity to process wash dry fold but they don't mind because it's gravy for them and their franchisees. I, on the other hand, offer dry cleaning but it's an extra revenue stream for me. My core business is laundry delivery and retail laundromats. My capacity is nearly unlimited and growing as we speak. Btw, I am happy to see that P&G has entered the laundry delivery space, their advertising money and prowess will help elevate this new industry that many people aren't even aware of yet. Make no mistake though, they are no threat to the local entrepreneur with a very different business model and laser focus. 

Dave Menz
    Queen City Laundry Chain
    Cincinnati, OH

• 34.  RE: Pickup and Delivery

Posted 03-05-2019 13:32
    I pretty much agree with Dave, Simon and Sean... nothing to really add except I don't believe pickup and delivery is an asset light business like software...but I believe his point was in comparison to traditional laundromat start-up costs; I'm supper happy to hear this debate...7 years ago when I started, heck 3 years ago; it would go on deaf ears now folks are really warming up!...Technology is the key to being able to service all the diverse customers you come across...The trend is your friend!

Rick Rome
    Owner/Operator
    WashClubTrak
    New York
    Rick@washclubtrak.com

• 35.  RE: Pickup and Delivery

Posted 03-05-2019 15:12
    I agree that in the short term many local Laundromats will make money doing WDF and pickup and delivery. In the long term, not so much.

Why? Here are the some of the reasons:
    1) Most Laundromats are located in neighborhoods, with high visibility, good parking, glass storefronts and expensive rents. Is this the ideal spot for a pickup and delivery service? How about a 20,000 SqFt purpose build facility in a low rent industrial park. Loading dock, secure fencing for delivery vehicle and worker parking. Rents will be at least 50% cheaper than the retail locations currently favored by Laundromats.
    2) Current Laundromats may have a large underutilized wash capacity but also have a design not planned out specifically to maximize worker movement.  Wasted steps cost money.
    3) The underutilized washers of existing Laundromats includes many smaller washers that will not be installed in my hypothetical 20,000 SqFt central processing building. The wrong equipment costs money.
    3) The energy saving, and more costly, washers and dryers will be replaced with more worker efficient (non-insulated) dryers and fast cycle (industrial softmount) washers. Wasted processing time costs money.
    4) Combining the processing workers in one location will reduce management costs. One supervisor can oversee dozens of entry workers. Wasted management salaries cost money.
    5) Laundromats are not designed to handle all functions of fabric processing. In a centralized location, my hypothetical 20,000 SqFt store will have dry cleaning, spotting tables, steam, sheet presses, automatic folding machines and a quick and uniform wrapping process. Wasted processing time costs money.
    6) Extensive, effective and widespread advertising is expensive and large corporations can afford to invest and even lose money for many years to capture market share.  Laundromat owners can not afford to lose money to capture market share. Varied advertising costs money.
    7) The current individuals running successful operations (like Dave Menz) will be bought out, paid partly in stock options and hired as high-paid local management.
    8) Current Tide (and others) will utilize existing Laundromat owners to develop demand but when sufficient market share is achieved they will sever ties and build their own processing facilities. In effect, current Laundromat owners will help contribute to the demise of pickup and delivery. It's the corporate way. Using others saves money.
    9) The best operating software will be developed or purchased outright by the corporations. Do you believe that if Amazon got into pickup and delivery that local owners could compete? Unreasonable arrogance costs money and leads to failure.

This is just a quick review. I still believe that the future is bright for self-service Laundromats. I would truly hate to see them go the way of Blockbuster and public telephones. I suggest we all compete in arenas where we can win now and in the future.

Larry Larsen
    Laundromat123.com
    Anaheim, CA
    Distributor - Insurance - Consulting
    Cell: (714) 390-9969

• 36.  RE: Pickup and Delivery

Posted 03-05-2019 16:18
    Larry L,

Well said.  Laundromats are located, designed and equipped to best accommodate self serve customers.  Any serious entry into commercial laundry service requires a whole different set of parameters.

I can understand why a person moving into an unknown industry such as commercial laundry would want to take baby steps at first but, at some point, one must go all in or fold and go back to self serve.

Larry Adamski
    Muskegon Laundromat
    Spring Lake MI
    [Phone]

• 37.  RE: Pickup and Delivery

Posted 03-05-2019 17:00