Open Forum

Pickup and Delivery

• 1.  Pickup and Delivery

Posted 12-05-2018 17:10
    ​I'm buying a laundromat and want to add pickup and delivery; the laundromat currently has WDF and Dry Cleaning drop-off, but there appears to be a fair amount of demand from customers for pickup and delivery. I've heard of delivery.com and Springboard, but wanted to know if there are others folks here have had experience with and what they think of the two I mentioned.

Also, they seem to offer more than just the pickup and delivery software but also do custom websites, digital marketing, etc. so if anyone has used these services I'd love to hear about it.

------------------------------
    Rich Flaherty
    Potential Investor
    Woodstock GA

• 2.  RE: Pickup and Delivery

Posted 12-05-2018 18:57
    Hi Rich,
          First let me say that adding pickup & delivery to an existing store is nothing to take lightly. It's a lot of work to do it well and build a great reputation. So many people think it's gonna be easy extra money but it's not. It's a completely different business model and should be treated as such. Way too many amateurs have already figured this out the hard way. However, if done well, it can be a great revenue source for a store owner but do not enter into this lightly. Take your time! When I entered the delivery business, I already had some great managers and team members in place and had been in this industry for about 7 years with 4 stores when we launched and it's still not been easy!!

Given you're new to this business (I assume), I'd recommend holding off for atleast 6-12 months minimum while you get your feet wet.  I've been a Springboard licensee for several years and couldn't be happier. Not only is their software very nice but their "add on" services that they offer are simply amazing. We use their software, customer service, drivers logistics tools, digital marketing, and website. I dont think they offer anything that we don't use. While nothing and no one is perfect, I've never been let down by anything they do or say.  The people at Springboard are second to none. They genuinely care about your success and will mentor you in anyway that they can. I have very high expectations for everyone that I partner with and I'm happy that I'm with Springboard. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask away. You can also call me if you'd like to. Lastly I do not work for, nor represent Springboard in any way. I'm simply a happy and satisfied customer.

Dave Menz
    Queen City Laundry Chain
    Cincinnati, OH

• 3.  RE: Pickup and Delivery

Posted 12-06-2018 17:18

Hey Rich - If you are a newbie you should definitely get your feet wet first for a few months (3-6) so you get a good lay of the land in your new business...there will definitely be things that come up that you weren't expecting... I started doing pickup and delivery 8 years ago and I haven't looked back... currently over 25,000 lbs/day with 22 trucks...It is by far the greatest opportunity currently in the laundry business regarding growth with smallest amount of risk investment...or what people like to say the best bang for your buck...it takes time to build and market the business... but when you learn from mistakes and capitalize on opportunities it is an amazing business! I use WashClubTrak and I am happy to answer all your questions off-line if you would like... Thanks, Rick

Rick Rome
    Store Owner/ Employee
    Wash Club
    Brooklyn NY

• 4.  RE: Pickup and Delivery

Posted 26 days ago
    Have active wdf delivery service but struggling to keep packaging presentable through delivery process. Using Rhino bags and craft carry bags but clothes look beaten up when delivered.. help!

Mary Willis
    Store Owner/ Employee
    Newbury Park CA

• 5.  RE: Pickup and Delivery

Posted 24 days ago
    Mary-

I have a video I can send you about packaging.

SEAN DUPREY
    Store Owner/ Employee
    Springboard
    Cranston RI

• 6.  RE: Pickup and Delivery

Posted 19 days ago
    Hi Sean,
    I would be interested in your video.

Bobbi Calderon
    Store Owner/ Employee
    Council Bluffs IA

• 7.  RE: Pickup and Delivery

Posted 9 days ago
    Edited by SEAN DUPREY 2 days ago
    Here you go Bobbi, if you have any interest in learning about our pickup and delivery business please let me know.

Thanks

SEAN DUPREY
    Business Development   

Springboard :: Cloud Based Laundry Pickup and Delivery Software

www.getspringboard.com

• 8.  RE: Pickup and Delivery

Posted 8 days ago
    Sean,
    Thanks for sharing your video.  I have a Pick up & Del service but always looking for new ways to improve it.

Bobbi Calderon
    Bobbi Calderon Person
    Council Bluffs IA

• 9.  RE: Pickup and Delivery

Posted 18 days ago
    Hi Sean,

I am interested in that video to.

Thanks

Simon Elwardany
    Pomona CA

• 10.  RE: Pickup and Delivery

Posted 16 days ago
    Edited by SEAN DUPREY 2 days ago
    Simon-

Thanks for the note, do you provide pickup and delivery from your store? I'd be happy to discuss our software with you if you are interested.

Thanks

Sean

• 11.  RE: Pickup and Delivery

Posted 20 days ago
    Hey Mary - What size poly bags do you use?...you should have a few varieties, if not just ping me and I'll send you my vendor's info...also, tie the corners of your exterior bags before transporting that will keep contents inside tight when moving around and make a better impression upon delivery
    thumbnail image
    thumbnail image

Rick Rome
    Store Owner/ Employee
    Wash Club
    Brooklyn NY

• 12.  RE: Pickup and Delivery

Posted 3 days ago
    Rick - on another note can you share how you keep orders straight when they get to your laundry shop? With so much Landry (!) do you ever mix up orders??
    thanks!
    Mary

Mary Willis
    Mary Willis Person
    Newbury Park CA

• 13.  RE: Pickup and Delivery

Posted 2 days ago

Hey Mary - Good question...not sure you are aware or not but we don't have self serve customers anymore...there not allowed in...only drop-off or pickup and delivery...This helps a lot!...Yes we lose things...general rule of thumb is 1-2% of revenues goes to paying out customers for damages or lost items...we are at less then 1%...how??... a number of factors...we have 35 high def cameras at each facility...it allows us to get a good idea of what happened, we use different colored bags for different areas which also helps narrow down possibilities and easier to track... customer order history shed's light as well...most important is our machine tracking system and order logs within the WashClubTrak POS... It's not just 1 of these things that helps, its a combined effort...If I had to pick one thing you should do (outside the obvious of using software...hopefully ours) I would say get a real good camera system....If you want to talk off-line please feel free to ping me

Rick Rome
    Wash Club
    Brooklyn NY

• 14.  RE: Pickup and Delivery

Posted 2 days ago
    Thank you, Rick. Cameras are certainly an option as are different colored bags. Things kind of fall apart when laundry is brought in for cleaning. With folding going on in a few places at once we go tend to mix up pieces versus destroy or lose. You have a LOT of laundry in your place all at once which suggests organization. Do you tag every wdf piece that comes in?
    Thank you !!

Mary Willis
    Mary Willis Person
    Newbury Park CA

• 15.  RE: Pickup and Delivery

Posted 2 days ago
    heavens no!... We have a tight system in place that has allowed us to scale our business...all of this through software..specifically WashClubTrak... we definitely have mix ups as well...there is human interaction when processing, but not from cart mix ups but more from miss tagging a bag with the wrong receipt ...general human laziness...our system does help control this along with rewards workers based on performance...the goal of my business is to automate everything possible...this has a cost but if you are in it to win it then its marginal relative to the long term success you will get...For example, we have a call center...we use AWS bots and other CRM systems to help facilitate this...the fewer human touches within CS the better...yes there are times folks want to speak to people, and we support this...but more times then not people don't want to speak to other people, just get the answer quick and move on... they may ask what is your price per pound or do you service my area...all these things we utilize technology to expedite which in turn gives a better customer experience...

Rick Rome
    Wash Club
    Brooklyn NY

• 16.  RE: Pickup and Delivery

Posted 10 hours ago
    May I ask what you charge for pick up/delivery services? I'm doing that now in the mean time to build the business before we purchase a laundromat.
    Thanks!
    Tara

Tara McComas
    Tara McComas Person
    Blanchard OK