Open Forum

Horizon Rubber Clothes Deflector Question

• 1.  Horizon Rubber Clothes Deflector Question

Posted 08-09-2019 19:20
    We have 9ea SQ Gravity Drain Horizon's.  The 3/4 circle rubber clothes deflectors pop off past their several screw heads occasionally.  I assume this is from overloading.  Does anyone install a slightly larger "star" type washer against the rubber before they screw the bolt down to get an extra grip on the rubber to keep it from slipping past the screw head under overload conditions.

Wondering if it would just tear the rubber or possibly if there is another trick of the trade to use to keep these in place.

------------------------------
    LES MONTHEI
    MT VIEW LAUNDROMAT
    LAKEHEAD CA
    Excellence in Laundry 2020 - Save the Date

• 2.  RE: Horizon Rubber Clothes Deflector Question

Posted 08-10-2019 01:16
    They occasionally get pulled off of the screws when snagged by a large load being removed.  A similiar length screw with a larger button head such as a cabinet screw should remedy the problem.  The deflector is a poor solution to a poor design.  The solution to socks getting caught is in the manual.  Use mesh laundry bags.  I bet if Alliance disclosed this information, they wouldn't have sold as many.

Chris Mallam
    Norfolk VA

• 3.  RE: Horizon Rubber Clothes Deflector Question

Posted 08-10-2019 12:26
    I had 10 of them nothing but problems. The term junk comes to mind. Not for laundromat use..if I didn't have the 5 year warranty for free parts it was have been an even worse disaster. I sold them at a very deep discount

Peter Arancio
    Owner Operator
    Williams Wash House
    Salinas,Ca

• 4.  RE: Horizon Rubber Clothes Deflector Question

Posted 08-10-2019 13:49
    Guys:  Thanks for the info...I will pick up some larger SS button head bolts to install.

Peter:  I have had 3 sets of Gravity Drain Horizon's with pretty good luck.  No doubt they have their issues, and if I was in a 7 tpd market, I would likely have to give up the convenience of the removable Horizon's for a hard mount.  So far, the customers keep them turning and the complaints are few.

LES MONTHEI
    MT VIEW LAUNDROMAT
    LAKEHEAD CA

• 5.  RE: Horizon Rubber Clothes Deflector Question

Posted 28 days ago
    I installed a larger button head SS screw on the Horizon, and the unit clothes deflector was pulled out again.  I went down and bought some SS Internal Star Lock Washers.  Basically the top surface is smooth and not exposed under the screw head, the bottom surface has some serrations-teeth that lock onto the rubber ring.

Its been about 3 months and the deflector on the two units I was having the problem with have not come loose.

LES MONTHEI
    MT VIEW LAUNDROMAT
    LAKEHEAD CA

• 6.  RE: Horizon Rubber Clothes Deflector Question

Posted 28 days ago
    Traded my Horizons for Dexter hardmounts this week. So glad to be rid of them.

CHRIS MIRISCIOTTA
    Canon Coin Laundry
    Canonsburg PA

• 7.  RE: Horizon Rubber Clothes Deflector Question

Posted 26 days ago
    Chris,

Were yours with gravity drains?  It seems like with the various residential duty soft mounts the main problem is related to pumps instead of gravity drains.  Not that I wish to be too naive.

MICHAEL WALSH www.kingkoin.com
    King Koin Laundry, Car n Do
    Bismarck ND

• 8.  RE: Horizon Rubber Clothes Deflector Question

Posted 26 days ago
    Michael:  My recollection on Horizon's is that the gravity drains are more trouble free than the pump models due to oversudsing and losing the prime to pump.  I have never owned pump models, and our few generations of gravity flow Horizon units have served us well in our market.  We have SS Horizons on a 10 inch SQ base for easy plumbing connections and they present like an old 30 lb SQ size wise, including the larger door.

We use Horizon's so we can access the area behind the units when necessary, and they have produced a decent ROI in our market.  However, if you are turning the Horizon's 6 to 8 times a day, I would recommend going to a hard mount 30 lb or a full commercial soft mount.

LES MONTHEI
    MT VIEW LAUNDROMAT
    LAKEHEAD CA

• 9.  RE: Horizon Rubber Clothes Deflector Question

Posted 25 days ago
    I also used SS washer(s) under the screw head(s) to provide more holding surface.
    Never a problem after that.
    The rubber seems too soft to be held by the screw head alone, and can pull around it if pressured.

DAVID CHAMLEE
    CCR
    SUMMERLAND CA

• 10.  RE: Horizon Rubber Clothes Deflector Question

Posted 25 days ago
    Michael, they were pumps but that was only part of the problem. Not a good machine for a busy mat. Too many break downs. It will be only Dexter hard mounts in my future.

CHRIS MIRISCIOTTA
    Canon Coin Laundry
    Canonsburg PA

• 11.  RE: Horizon Rubber Clothes Deflector Question

Posted 24 days ago
    Chris:  Not a Horizon comparison question.  How did you decide on the Dexter and why the 30 lb size.

LES MONTHEI
    MT VIEW LAUNDROMAT
    LAKEHEAD CA

• 12.  RE: Horizon Rubber Clothes Deflector Question

Posted 23 days ago
    Les, these are 20# Dexters. With the larger machines i replaced a year ago ago these new 20# machines i now have 4 mats with Dexter washers. I have found them to be the most reliable and user friendly machines made. The red stop buttons are a must for unattended mats. As for mounting them with limited rear access, i can only remember once in 21 years having to get to the bottom rear of a dexter. I am also a fan of the 20#-40#-60#or 80# setup.

CHRIS MIRISCIOTTA
    Canon Coin Laundry
    Canonsburg PA