Open Forum

TV for unattended mat

• 1.  TV for unattended mat

Posted 08-16-2019 16:12
    I've had a few people ask for a TV to watch.  I have a couple switches that let customers turn on and off the radio and adjust the volume, but no TV because it would likely get stolen.  I have had other things get stolen already, toilet paper (from somebody with a key to the dispenser) and twice I've had my bathroom garbage can stolen.  For my 3rd bathroom garbage can I cut out the entire bottom of the trash can.  I figure nobody wants to steal a garbage can with holes in it.  It's been about 6 months and seems to be working.

So I am considering a pair of TVs to install.  I would mount them on the wall with minimal angle iron to deter an easy theft.  But I am thinking of also removing the speakers and cutting out all of the outputs on the back.  The hope is that this makes the TVs not worth stealing.  Put a small sign on the TV explaining why it shouldn't be stolen and put a remote attached to a cable near it.  Closed captioning only.

Thoughts?  I am obviously unattended and will not be changing that.

On a somewhat related note.  Can anybody recommend a decent, reliable 2 way wifi communication system that would let me warn overnight guests and other loiterers to leave before I call the police?  I know they exist, I'm just looking for specific recommendations.  I would like to have an alarm that I can have go off to scare them away and ideally, a microphone and speaker to listen and talk with.

------------------------------
    Shawn Ray
    Store Owner
    Janesville, WI
    Join CLA - Enjoy Membership Benefits

• 2.  RE: TV for unattended mat

Posted 08-16-2019 16:18
    You can buy a 40 inch HD flat screen for under 200. Mount it up as high as possible.
    Kasa cam has 2 way communication which works pretty well. It's not very loud so if the mat is noisy it may not work well. Good luck

Pete
    Owner
    The Washtub Laundromat
    Tappan, NY

• 3.  RE: TV for unattended mat

Posted 08-16-2019 18:26

It saddens me that there would even be a discussion on this matter. As far as toilet paper...have your local welder build a flat bar (so rolls can not be spun) that holds two rolls and a lock on the other side. This will not help when they come with a razor blade to take home their treasures but helps a lot.
    I have a TV above the door to the office built into the wall. Angle iron sounding it and a cheep separate amp for the volume. Then put your remote control on a cable. Long enough for them to step back and control the channels. Then some sticky duct tape over the place where the batteries go. After you have used indelible ink on your remote with your name on it. You will be amazed at how little the batteries will go away. You really do need a TV as this will bring in the kids. What do I mean kids? Mommy mommy lets go to the TV Laundromat.
    Now it is your turn...what would make someone take my entrance mat?

Curt Harrington

• 4.  RE: TV for unattended mat

Posted 08-16-2019 20:41
    I've had televisions stolen years ago. Guards, steel bicycle cables, plexiglass over wall mounted and better mounting reduced thief problems. The best strategy was minor defacing or painting the frame and putting a cable through the body of television. Anyone stealing it would have an ugly, broken television. The thieves know it and don't try. Just like your defaced trash can.

I would not have the remote control available for customer use. No sound control, no channel choice. Set the television to script on the bottom of the screen and you pick the channels. I had trouble with customers arguing about volume and channel selection. Keep the remote out of any attendant, a real waste of their time. It's a convenience item and electronic baby sitter you provide, don't overthink it.

As to your problem of loiterers staying in your Laundromat at odd hours. Close your Laundromat at night and have your cleaning person clean before closing and suggest people leave when they're done drying. Automatic door unlocking is worth the money, and your cleaning person closing eliminates your loitering problem.

Larry Larsen
    Laundromat123.com
    Anaheim, CA
    Distributor - Insurance - Consulting
    Cell: (714) 390-9969

• 5.  RE: TV for unattended mat

Posted 08-17-2019 12:30
    We use a ring cam.  It records to the cloud, you can set off a siren that's 110db and it has a microphone and speaker to talk to people.  Only problem is that the speaker isn't all that loud.  We have two of them in a sizeable room so if both sirens are going off then it's kind of loud.  Cloud recording is pretty cheap at $30/year I think or all you can eat for $100 / year.   So go ahead and throw up four cameras!

WEI CHEN
    WEI CHEN Person
    Los Angeles CA

• 6.  RE: TV for unattended mat

Posted 08-19-2019 12:05
    Don't do it! You will have endless complaints about what channel it's on and volume. Instead, provide wifi and let them watch whatever they want on their own devise.

BRAD SEDER
    Brad Seder Person
    Santa Rosa CA

• 7.  RE: TV for unattended mat

Posted 25 days ago
    I've had the same TV mounted up for 2.5 years.  It is locked to the mount and I tethered a remote by drilling a hole and inserting a cable through and the other end is attached through the wall.  Remote hangs off the wall.  Never lost a TV or remote yet.  I have had the batteries taken once.   I have Cable TV so I block stations I don't want.

Biggest issue is sometimes people leave the volume up or homeless come in and watch.  Neither happens that often.

John M
    CARLSBAD, CA
    United States

• 8.  RE: TV for unattended mat

Posted 25 days ago
    Shawn:
    Costco has a dedicated display of Ring doorbells.  They all have high quality video.  One in particular has spotlights, a 110 dB siren, and two way communication through your cell phone app.  It is on sale through September 1 for $179.00.  I visited Lake Geneva in May, and I know they have Costcos in Wisconsin.  Good luck.

TERRENCE NOLAN
    Arbutus Laundromat
    Baltimore MD