Open Forum

List of recommended machine manufacturers?

• 1.  List of recommended machine manufacturers?

Posted 07-27-2019 12:24
    Since everyone here is so knowledgeable and have experience in various aspects of the laundry industry, I was hoping to get a list of the top 20 or so most common or recommended washer and dryer manufacturers for laundromats, shared laundry rooms etc.

raylie

------------------------------
    Raylie Vega

Join CLA - Enjoy Membership Benefits

• 2.  RE: List of recommended machine manufacturers?

Posted 07-27-2019 13:05
    Raylie,

The CLA Code of Conduct prohibits us from writing any negative comments about any brands, so if you do get any recommendations, they will be generalized whitewashed ones. Comments more than that usually get removed.

You really can't go wrong with any of the top manufacturers. I like Dexter, Alliance, and Continental. For dryers, I like the ADC 333's and 444's.

http://community.coinlaundry.org/codeofconduct

Good luck

Paulie B
    Multiple Mat Owner since 1976
    New York City, NY

• 3.  RE: List of recommended machine manufacturers?

Posted 07-28-2019 01:10
    I agree with the comment by Paulie. Besides, very few, if any, people would have facts about repair history, service life expectancy and Laundromat customer appeal to give a quotable opinion on thee issues. What we have are personal opinions and regional likes of the various brands.

So here's mine. No manufacturer makes a total line of product that has not ever had problems. Every brand has had complaints and compliments, hits and misses.

The buying public needs to look at four categories of Laundromat-appropriate pieces of equipment and not make an overall judgement based on one model or year of production of a brand.

First, a relatively newbie is the "near professional" or "home style" front load washer. This the front load washer manufactured for home use and modified, and sometimes upgraded, for use in a Laundromat. Their construction is not as heavy duty as other washers in their brands lineup and have a shorter economic life and therefore are critically rejected by many owners. Included in this list are the 20-LB models sold by Speed Queen, Huebsch, Wascomat, Maytag and LG.

Second, the venerable top load washer is made by Maytag and Speed Queen/Huebsch. Various other brands have the SQ/H top load washer private labeled under their brand's name. This type of washer has declined in use in Laundromats because of some perceived benefits, and higher profit margins for factories in selling their small home style washers.

Third, the lineup of heavy duty professional washers, all made to the same basic design with a  range of sizes from 20-LB to 100-LB. The most well-known brands are Speed Queen/Huebsch, Wascomat/Electrolux, Dexter and Continental Girbau. The more recent addition, after a long layoff, is Maytag. Recent newbies are Fagor (the old ADC washer maker), Toulon (made in Turkey.) and Unity (made in China.) The "no longer sold brands" are Ipso (factory closed), Primus (Czech Republic made washers no longer sold in US vended models) and ADC (now being sold directly from Fagor.) Milnor is a heavy duty industrial model sold in a few sizes of its original design and more in its cabinet models made in China.

Fourth. The single and stack dryers are made by ADC, Wascomat/Electrolux, Dexter and Alliance (Speed Queen.) Dexter and W/E are proprietary and only sold by Dexter and W/E. The ADC is sold under ADC, Maytag and Milnor brands. The Alliance dryer is sold, or was sold, under the brands of Speed Queen, Huebsch, Continental Girbau, Ipso and Primus. In the past Dexter was sold as a Maytag and ADC as a Wascomat. Cissell (once a major player) no longer sells Laundromat dryers.

In previous years Dexter made washers for Speed Queen, Alliance washers from Unimac were sold as Maytag and points out that private labeling is frequent in our low volume production marketplace. Caution must often be exercised when viewing the brand name and confusing it with the manufacturer.

This is my personal list of the various washers and dryers available for our industry in 2019. Hope it helps answer your question.

Larry Larsen
    Laundromat123.com
    Anaheim, CA
    Distributor - Insurance - Consulting
    Cell: (714) 390-9969

• 4.  RE: List of recommended machine manufacturers?

Posted 08-10-2019 21:26
    Thanks for the great write up. I joined here hoping to find info like this. How are the foreign made equipment - heavy duty professional washers? Have they been around long enough to be reliable enough for say a laundry room in an large apartment complex? I haven't heard of many of them which I think might be because they are new to the market

Lukas Karenan
    @laundrylukas
    Seattle WA

• 5.  RE: List of recommended machine manufacturers?

Posted 08-11-2019 15:24
    There aren't 20 manufactures of commercial equipment.  Maybe 7 total for USA availability, perhaps 10 in the world.  As an example, Alliance 'Manufactures' the following:  Speed Queen, Huebsch, IPSO, uniMac, and Primus.

Timothy Foster
    Multi-
    Timothy Foster Person
    Toledo

• 6.  RE: List of recommended machine manufacturers?

Posted 08-11-2019 19:02
    Edited by CURT HARRINGTON 08-12-2019 03:58
    I have a friend out there who fixes up properties for rentals. It sounds to me like you are wanting laundry facilities for rentals. From what he tells me that would be a BAD idea. Bad Bad idea. Anyway if you are familiar with the difference between a Chevy and a GMC that narrows machine selection down to four. OK, OK, there are a few more. Give or take a piece of chrome. Placing something other than one of those four would be a bad mistake if you are looking long term. But since that machine is likely to to disappear or be beaten to death with sledge hammers and crow bars just go for whatever is the cheapest.

Curt Harrington

• 7.  RE: List of recommended machine manufacturers?

Posted 08-12-2019 19:08
    Edited by MICHAEL WALSH 08-12-2019 19:10
    Lukas & others,

Just thinking out loud ...

What could tip the scale in favor IMHO of buying heavy duty foreign ... is if after careful analysis you saw that they shared all their firmware etc for anything printed circuit board related within their machine.  Another tipping point could be that mechanical parts were extra friendly by way of the parts' machine shop redo-able factor.  Also if they shared upfront the code involved within their variable frequency drives.  Quality of material used ... tolerance quality some more things to zero in on!

That could help prevent the "stranded without replacement parts" possible dilemma that could come with foreign countries' laundry equipment.  A bit more open to "off the shelf alternative solutions in case the OEM within the OEM within possibly another OEM was no longer on top of whatever!

Would America be as well off had we never gave foreigners the opportunity to gradually sell some of their (passed the comparison test) proven cars & other items to us way back over 50 years ago?

MICHAEL WALSH www.kingkoin.com
    King Koin Laundry, Car n Dog Wash
    Bismarck ND