Open Forum

Here's a part of the business I do not miss.....

• 1.  Here's a part of the business I do not miss.....

Posted 02-08-2019 12:52

------------------------------
    Paulie B
    Multiple Mat Owner since 1976
    New York City, NY

• 2.  RE: Here's a part of the business I do not miss.....

Posted 02-08-2019 13:37
    Edited by Michael Walsh 02-08-2019 13:40
    Paulie B & OTHERS,

I believe this can occur no matter where the laundromat is located ... probably anywhere in the world not just the USA.  Our specific State of North Dakota has a "Good Samaritan Law" so depending on the variation of your picture ... we might try to see if the person needs "medical assistance" first or just call "911" as fast as we can.  If the person is not breathing ... that could require some "Good Faith" chest compressions?  Emergency child delivery if it was a expectant mom is another possible "life & death" situation a laundromat owner or attendant could possibly face.

Appearances can be deceiving at times???  I had a similar as your picture ... called 911 ... the female operator that time took the other extreme approach & said "Don't go near the person".  I told her that I have enough experience to know when the person could be dangerous or not.  I approached the person & he groaned that his leg had given out on him & that he was OK with the fact that medical help was on its way.  Another time ... there was a guy who had clearly pooped in his pants sitting on one of our chairs.  I turned out that there was some kind of a stroke factor!

I have a nephew who is in the very last phase of his 4 year Neurology Fellowship-Internship.  From the time he was little he wanted to be a medical doctor which I very much encouraged him along with especially one of his two grandfathers.  There was an edgy part of my encouragement though ... I always included that "some doctors are better than others".  At the get together right after his Medical School Graduation that I attended ... he finally showed a bit more spunk with his future wife at his side & fired back at me "that is true of any profession".  To which I immediately calmly said "HOW TRUE .... no question about it ... some laundromat owners are better than others"

Michael Walsh www.kingkoin.com
    King Koin Laundry, Car n Dog Wash
    Bismarck ND

• 3.  RE: Here's a part of the business I do not miss.....

Posted 02-09-2019 08:40
    Edited by Chris Mallam 02-09-2019 08:40
    Yeah, I've dealt with that guy, except he was on the floor in the restroom covered in feces.  Felt bad for the cop that had to put him in his car.

Chris Mallam
    Norfolk VA

• 4.  RE: Here's a part of the business I do not miss.....

Posted 02-09-2019 13:10
    Edited by Michael Walsh 02-09-2019 13:11
    Chris & others,

Hopefully, law enforcement &/or other first responders come without too much delay.  With some situations precautions of a proper mask & plastic gloves are in order because of the bodily fluids etc.  We have a Xcel Hand Dryer in our rest room.  The middle aged man peed his pants & went into the rest room & saw that as a way to dry the urine wetness out of his bvds etc.  Don't try to imagine the stench created ... i might make you gag.  Sadly, the smell was that bad.

Thankfully, the place was not full of regular customers at the time.  An extremely rare occurrence .... based on growing up & hanging out at the laundromat way starting way back in 1960.  In some areas in this big world of ours .... this type of unpleasantry might be much more frequent.

Bismarck ND

• 5.  RE: Here's a part of the business I do not miss.....

Posted 02-09-2019 15:59
    I told him to get out and go East!!!

Harry Pruyn
    Solano Cleaning Center
    1219 Solano Ave.
    Albany, Ca
    510 524-0254

• 6.  RE: Here's a part of the business I do not miss.....

Posted 02-09-2019 20:06
    Harry P said ... Quote  "I told him to get out and go East!!!"

As long as the coast areas of the USA are not giving these people one way bus tickets to us midwest people!!!  Yes ... when the former block away emergency shelter consisted of what seemed to mostly east coast west coast mega city people ... I honestly was wondering about the possibility of "one way 'false promise' free bus tickets" happening by some possibly dubious do-gooders.

Bismarck ND