Open Forum

rubber hoses

• 1.  rubber hoses

Posted 02-04-2019 09:00
    Purchased this mat a few months ago... so dont have a handle on length of times things last... and just had a water hose fail (the one that connects the hot water pipe to the machine in the back) causing a significant flood in the mat... what has been peoples experience in terms of how long these hoses last... this one looks like it just corroded at the faucet connection - which suggests it is time to replace all of them in that series in my mat...

But just wondering how long the life on these things is?

------------------------------
    Thom
    Store Owner/ Employee
    NJ
    Join CLA - Enjoy Membership Benefits

• 2.  RE: rubber hoses

Posted 02-04-2019 09:19
    Thomas,

My oldest small washer fill hoses are now 11 years old and still in very good condition.  If your hoses are rusting at the brass connection or developing a bubble under the rubber,  they should be replaced now.  If the hose has lost flexibility,  it should be replaced within a year.

Larry Adamski
    Muskegon Laundromat
    Spring Lake MI

• 3.  RE: rubber hoses

Posted 02-04-2019 12:11
    The life of rubber water hoses is normally dependent on these issues:
    1) Quality of the hose. OEM hoses often outlast the discount brands.
    2) Heat of the water, as I've found the hot water hoses fail more frequently than the cold water hoses.
    3) Water pressure inside inside your Laundromat.  Higher pressure equals more rubber failures.
    4) Frequency of washing machine use. Since the hoses flex and absorb pressure spikes every time the water valve slams shut.  Busier stores equals more wear and tear.
    5) Luck of the Owner. Some people go years without a bursting hose and others just seem to be unlucky.  A scheduled time period for regular replacement is difficult to establish.

Larry A's comments provide excellent insight when to examine and replace hoses. Remember you don't have to replace all your hoses just because one hose fails.

Stainless steel hoses are rubber hoses with a flexible external shield. They are useful in stopping hose blisters. They can still fail, so quality versus price is still important.

Damage caused by nighttime hose bursts can be minimized by periodic inspections. When you're inspecting, open and close the hoses bibs.

I've seen owners shutting off their main water valve to replace a single hose because the hose bibs are so badly corroded. A yearly "open and close" of the hose bibs seems to reduce the problem.

When you're doing this exercise on the hose bibs and examining the hoses, consider replacing the rubber washers. This gymnastic activity perched atop your bulkheads may cause a feeling of anger against those who built your store because they never considered ease of access for maintenance in their designs.

Finally, if you have an alarm system, installation of a floor mounted water detector (along with fire detectors) will provide early notice of destructive problems at your Laundromat.

Larry Larsen
    Laundromat123.com
    Anaheim, CA
    Distributor - Insurance - Consulting
    Cell: (714) 390-9969

• 4.  RE: rubber hoses

Posted 02-04-2019 12:42
    Edited by Paulie B 02-04-2019 12:43
    Both Larrys give great advice here.

Never go cheap on a hose.

I like the 3/4" heavy duty hoses that are out there. Thick, heavy, solid brass couplings, attached to 200psi hose that is normally used in earth moving equipment.

The larger diameter moves water faster into the washers as well. If your washers fill up faster, they will be available a minute or 2 sooner at the end of the cycle for the next customer. So the extra expense of these hoses gets quickly paid back.

Call Parts Distributors....They sell them:  (800) 323-7181

Paulie B
    Multiple Mat Owner since 1976
    New York City, NY

• 5.  RE: rubber hoses

Posted 02-04-2019 13:56
    The hoses I buy from PWS have printing on the rubber to replace every 5 years.  I'd say that if you get 5 years with no issues you've got your money's worth from a $5.00 hose and it should be replaced.

I also bought an old laundromat and what I found was a lot of hose bibs leaking through the valve stem packing.  These are very small leaks that never make it to the floor.  These leaks corrode the threaded hose fittings. When i see a corroded hose fitting, not only do I change the hose, but I also tighten the packing on the valve.  Otherwise, I'll have to change out the hose again next year.

Also, make sure to use fresh hose gaskets.  You can only screw and unscrew these hose gaskets so many times.  They will eventually compress and cause tiny leaks that will corrode your fittings.

I purchased 100 hose gaskets from PWS for 7 cents each.  $7.00 worth of hose gaskets will last me years.

By the way, don't use the red hose gaskets you find at home depot.  I always liked these soft gaskets for my back yard hose.  It's OK for cold water, but in hot water they break down and leak.  I learned the hard way, through experience.  Now I stick with the hard black ones from PWS.  No issues on hot or cold and the price is cheap.

Joe C.
    Store Owner
    Happy Bubbles Laundromat
    North Hollywood, CA
    www.BubblesCoin.com

• 6.  RE: rubber hoses

Posted 02-04-2019 15:37
    Joe,

Consider O-rings made from premium Buna Rubber.
    They are much tougher than standard hose washers, and  will outlast the hoses.

https://www.amazon.com/ikris-10-Pack-Premium-RubberFlex-Washers/dp/B075MQHYCZ/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1549312433&sr=8-7&keywords=o+rings+garden+hose

Paulie B
    New York City, NY

• 7.  RE: rubber hoses

Posted 02-05-2019 11:52
    I smear a coating of marine grade grease on all my fittings and never have a rusting problem

Denise Rubenstein
    Laundermagic of Patchogue
    Bayport NY

• 8.  RE: rubber hoses

Posted 02-05-2019 12:44
    I found this behind one of my top loaders yesterday, a golf ball in my hot water hose!

I'm still doing some testing and investigating but I believe I have very high water pressure supplied by the utility, about 120 psi.  My building was built in the 1950's.  They probably didn't have high water pressure back then.  I can't even find a a pressure regulator to reduce the cold water pressure.  It may be buried under the sidewalk.  I'll look today.

Paulie, how much do you pay for your 200 psi rubber hoses?   Until I find a way to reduce my water pressure, high pressure hoses may be a good idea.  The hose in the photo lasted about 3 years.  It's a decent hose but probably not rated for 120 psi on a regular basis.

Joe C.
    Store Owner
    Happy Bubbles Laundromat
    North Hollywood, CA
    www.BubblesCoin.com

• 9.  RE: rubber hoses

Posted 02-05-2019 13:04
    Hi Joe,

Wow! That golf ball is a time bomb ready to blow at any minute.

I bought a bunch of those 3/4", 200psi hoses (6 feet long) about 4 years ago and I paid about $12.00 each.
    These hoses can last a good 10 years, if not more. The heavy duty brass couplings don't rust, the rubber is 200psi, and they deliver water into the washer much faster.

Looks like you do need to find that pressure regulator.
    Do you have water hammer arrestors? They can help a little, but you really need to bring that pressure down to around 60psi.

Paulie B
    New York City, NY

• 10.  RE: rubber hoses

Posted 02-05-2019 16:01
    I'm planning on buying some water hammer arrestors and place a couple in each bulkhead, one for hot water and one for cold.  I'll screw them in spare hose bib positions.  It's cheap insurance and may pay for itself in saved water valves and hoses.

Thanks,

Joe C.
    Store Owner
    Happy Bubbles Laundromat
    North Hollywood, CA
    www.BubblesCoin.com

• 11.  RE: rubber hoses

Posted 02-05-2019 16:17
    Joe,

Be aware that water hammer arrestors must be installed vertically - dome up.

Larry Adamski
    Muskegon Laundromat
    Spring Lake MI

• 12.  RE: rubber hoses

Posted 02-06-2019 10:05
    Joe C, I would be looking at installing a pressure regulator before replacing hoses. High pressure can cause a lot of problems beyond burst hoses. I have had those golf ball bulges even at proper pressure. If you take it off you will find it is a de laminating of the rubber. The inner hose is usually still intact. Still something that needs changed but i would make a pressure regulator a top priority.

Chris Mirisciotta
    Canon Coin Laundry
    Canonsburg PA

• 13.  RE: rubber hoses

Posted 02-06-2019 11:31
    Good Morning Thom,

I've installed pressure regulators on the main water lines on a couple of properties I've owned through the years (like Mr. Paulie B suggested). In my case, the municipal pressure was running 90 or so lbs and this pressure was causing problems with premature faucet and valve breakdown/failures. The pressure regulators seemed to do the trick.

LAURA HAUGLAND
    LAURA HAUGLAND Person
    Duluth MN