Open Forum

Polar Vortex

• 1.  Polar Vortex

Posted 01-29-2019 18:00
    For those of you who are going to be exposed to the Polar Vortex, please stay safe and warm.  With some windchill getting as low as -50, you can get frostbite in under 5 minutes.

Some of the most common claims with cold weather are pipe bursts and slip/falls.  Feel free to reach out to me directly and I can sent you checklists on what you can do to prevent these claims.  My email is jrehor@associated.cc

Stay warm,
    Jason

------------------------------
    Jason Rehor
    Account Executive
    CLA Insurance
    Rolling Meadows, IL
    jrehor@associated.cc
    847-427-3524
    Join CLA - Enjoy Membership Benefits

• 2.  RE: Polar Vortex

Posted 01-29-2019 18:24
    Jason,

Good advice.  We're trying to maintain normal hours as much as possible during this snowy cold snap here in Michigan's western lower peninsula.  There are two reasons for this:

1.  We're offering the public a service at a time when some of my competitors are closed down for the storm.

2.  Maintaining some open hours allows the building to heat up after a long, cold night.  It gets water circulating in all the pipes too.  Also, getting some dryers running helps warm up the service areas and melts any snow that has blown in through the large air intakes in the roof.  All this reduces the chance of frozen pipes and other issues.

At the same time, I need to balance the above needs with the need to limit the risk to employees who must drive in to work.  So I'm physically monitoring road conditions and weather conditions on an hour by hour basis.  This is all just part of running a laundromat.

Larry Adamski
    Muskegon Laundromat
    Spring Lake MI

• 3.  RE: Polar Vortex

Posted 01-30-2019 01:38
    Fifty degrees below zero is entirely unnecessary...no good can come of this.  Snow birds have the right idea.

Les Monthei
    Potential Investor
    Redding CA

• 4.  RE: Polar Vortex

Posted 01-30-2019 07:26
    Les,

Actual temperature here is -4 farenheit.   Lake Michigan normally tempers our air temperature so we seldom get down to zero.  The USPS is shut down so no mail delivery today.  This is a great day to stay inside by the fireplace as the wind blows the lake effect snow around.  This blizzard is Michigan's equivalent to a Florida hurricane or a California earthquake.

Larry Adamski
    Muskegon Laundromat
    Spring Lake MI

• 5.  RE: Polar Vortex

Posted 01-30-2019 20:53
    Larry:  I occasionally get a text from my Brother in Law in upper Michigan showing a negative 20 to 30 degrees on his truck gauge.  The Michigan in laws wouldn't live in CA...much to do with hunting - fishing and enjoying the seasons.  Every zone has it's good and bad for sure and when things turn bad, time to be cautious.

Les Monthei
    Potential Investor
    Redding CA

• 6.  RE: Polar Vortex

Posted 01-30-2019 23:08
    Just received an email from the sister in law in Monroe MI.  She got an alert via TV and Text to set thermostats at 65 degrees to help ward off power outages.  Also an alert not to let your pet outside for more than a minute or two.

And I quote "She likes the cold weather because things get crunchy"

Les Monthei
    Potential Investor
    Redding CA

• 7.  RE: Polar Vortex

Posted 01-31-2019 14:01
    Les,

We have a new governor who is trying out her new found power.

Larry Adamski
    Muskegon Laundromat
    Spring Lake MI

• 8.  RE: Polar Vortex

Posted 02-01-2019 10:45
    Edited by Michael Walsh 02-02-2019 16:28
    Les, Larry& others,

There was a nasty power outage that took out a huge section of our relatively small city ... close & right next to the Capitol Bldg & the Governors brand new 5 million $$$ mansion Wednesday morning.   Our local newspaper who is an almost 100% Washington Post mirroring monopoly mega corporation held newspaper did wonderfully reassure us that those specific buildings were OK DOKEY fine because of them being well equipped with huge generators!  Not to begrudge them though ... not even in small "teachable moment" ways ... no not me ... no ... no ... no .... not ever ... wee...eze too polite!

BTW ... at wind chills in the minus 40° - 70° range ... to add to that clever "crunchy sound & feel" remark ... I notice when I went out for my daily senile ... er... I mean ... my daily senior walk.... any compacted snow with a serious wind over it tends to turn into the slipperiest ice imaginable.  Not to panic or worry ... I have special grips that I attach to the bottom of my shoes or boots.

Michael Walsh www.kingkoin.com
    Store Owner/ Employee
    King Koin Laundry, Car n Dog Wash
    Bismarck ND

• 9.  RE: Polar Vortex

Posted 02-02-2019 01:32
    In FarNorCal it's been sunny and warm.  We are getting another wet storm thru over the weekend that has brought flood warnings at the fire burn areas...plenty of those this winter to wash out.  The local authorities had an extended period of dry warm weather to work the post fire drainage issues etc and did a good job, so few problems so far.

Les Monthei
    Potential Investor
    Redding CA

• 10.  RE: Polar Vortex

Posted 02-02-2019 11:43
      |   view attached
    I had enough of this cold. Pls value and treat your employees well. This is the best way to handle a Polar Vortex.
    Could not do it without them.

Rob Bodner
    President
    EFR Inc/ The Laundromat Guys
    Park Ridge, NJ

• 11.  RE: Polar Vortex

Posted 02-03-2019 00:37
    Here in Northern Ilinois the real temp. got to -26 to -27 for 48 hrs. and I stayed open with very little business. I gave my help the night off with pay as I didn't want them to risk having any dangerous cold related problems. I went instead and it was brutal I can tell you. The dryers were blowing breakers left and right, my heating system decided to fail for 5 hrs due to a bad wall switch, which I fixed but failed to realize that the access door has the exact same stupid safety switch on it as do the dryers lint door and dryer door. Ugh! Had to call the HVAC guy for after hours rates only to have him walk in and reconfigure the access door and it fired back up. It does have a noisy blower motor so I ordered a new one though.

On the plus side my Cummins diesel always started right up and I didn't plug it into the block heater. Between the Power Service Arctic Formula and the Marvel Mystery Oil she runs like a champ!

Tom

Thomas Bright
    Owner
    Bright's Coin Wash
    Marengo Illinois

• 12.  RE: Polar Vortex

Posted 02-03-2019 14:09
    Thomas:  That stupid safety switch on the HVAC unit access panel is there for a good reason.  If the mechanic eliminated the safety switch temporarily, be sure he installs the system repair back to specs as soon as possible.

Some model HVAC units will readily distribute carbon monoxide in the supply when the access door is left off, depending upon the installation parameters...ergo the safety switch.

Les Monthei
    Potential Investor
    Redding CA

• 13.  RE: Polar Vortex

Posted 02-03-2019 16:18
    Les, Yes I understand why it's there, I just didn't know it was there. The door is flimsy and doesn't always close the switch properly.

Thomas Bright
    Owner
    Bright's Coin Wash
    Marengo Illinois