Open Forum

Bullying cusotmer

• 1.  Bullying cusotmer

Posted 08-12-2019 12:04
      |   view attached
    ​I have a customer that claims our dryer ruined her comforter by leaving a large black mark on the seam. She claims it is ink from the dryer but it isn't on any other part of the comforter. Also I have checked the dryer through and through and did not find any thing to cause the issue. She is demanding $50.00 to replace the comforter but will not allow me to see it in person or to attempt to get the stain off it for her. She also claims the comforter is two months old but does not have any proof or purchase or cost. She has been very hostile and threatening. and rude. I think she is used to steamrolling people and since I am not bending to her will she is threatening to badmouth me all over social media. She texted a photo of the comforter showing only the seam with a mark on it. There are no other marks on the comforter. Any advice on how to handle this and deal with this customer?

Thank you,
    Mary Ann

------------------------------
    Mary Ann LiPani-Sample
    Mary Ann LiPani-Sample Person
    Rochester NY
    Maytag - Sponsored Webinar September 17, 2019

• 2.  RE: Bullying cusotmer

Posted 08-12-2019 13:08
    If she is such a loudmouth what will she do if you give her something? You might end up with a line around the block.
    Years ago I offered to wash a woman's clothes because of a supposed crayon in the dryer. And that is exactly what happened.

A year ago a woman told me her comforter came apart in the washer. I was very polite and told her I did not know how that could happen.
    No money! She is now a regular customer.

Curt Harrington

• 3.  RE: Bullying cusotmer

Posted 08-12-2019 13:09
    Edited by Chris Mallam 08-12-2019 13:09
    Black marks on large comforters can happen if they are too large for the dryer.  As it tumbles, it's continually pressed against the rubber gasket on the glass, but there would be friction marks everywhere.  Since she is not willing to cooperate with you, then why should you?  Do you have cameras you can review to see her reaction when she discovers the stain?  Is she threatening you over the phone or in person?  It's easy to block their number or if in person, you can just call the police.  Never hand out money just because someone demands it.

Chris Mallam
    Norfolk VA

• 4.  RE: Bullying cusotmer

Posted 08-12-2019 13:32
    If it is ink, your not responsible.  I have a nice little sign on EVERY DRYER - "Please check dryer before use. Management is not responsible for items left in dryer from previous customer. (ie. crayons, pens, etc)."

I always try to assist with stain removal.  Have not paid a claim in 10 years.  As an operator, YOU ARE responsible for machine failures NOT customers errors.

Recently, had a lady claim three pairs of tennis shoes were damaged.  She left for inspection.  I called her and let her know that I was sorry her shoes fell apart but it wasn't the dryer.  After hearing her store that she just bought them, I agreed they shouldn't have fallen apart and suggested she talk the the place she bought them, still NOT my equipment.  Threatened to call a lawyer, said I would be more than willing to help her lawyer make a claim against manufacture, still NOT my equipment.

A customer will always blame the person in front of them regardless of responsibility (usually its the customer).  If it's not your responsibility, help them figure out WHO ELSE they should contact.  Biggest reason I got out of the Dry Cleaning business was all the shoddy manufactured clothing.

Timothy Foster
    Multi-
    Timothy Foster Person
    Toledo

• 5.  RE: Bullying cusotmer

Posted 08-12-2019 13:42
    Tim,

You were in the dry cleaning business too?  I  feel the same way about the shoddy foreign made garments sold by many of the big box department stores.   Things like brightly colored dresses manufactured in Bangladesh.  I am so glad to be out of that industry.

Larry Adamski
    Muskegon Laundromat
    Muskegon, Michigan

• 6.  RE: Bullying cusotmer

Posted 08-12-2019 13:27
    Mary Ann,

I have a couple of hard rules about laundry damage claims.

1. I  must be able to personally examine the damaged item.
    2.  If I pay the claim, I keep the item.

Most claims are due to a failure to follow care tag instructions.  In the case of a self serve laundry, such a claim would be denied.  In the case of a drop off laundry, such a claim would be paid.

If you generally treat your customers fairly, don't worry about 1 star threats from that rare unreasonable person who you have to interact with from time to time.  I  think that social media ratings are, well, OVERRATED.  I spend way more time worrying about how clean my place is than I do looking for that elusive 5 star rating.

Larry Adamski
    Muskegon Laundromat
    Muskegon, Michigan

• 7.  RE: Bullying cusotmer

Posted 08-12-2019 14:02
    HI Larry,

I am so glad you shared that. Even though she sent a photo to me, she is refusing to bring it to me or to let me get it from her. I offered to attempt to remove the stain myself or have it dry cleaned for her but she just wants the money and to keep the item. I think this is a reasonable option even though I know she is going to blow like Vesuvius when I suggest it. :)

Mary Ann LiPani-Sample
    Rochester NY

• 8.  RE: Bullying cusotmer

Posted 08-12-2019 13:57
    ​Thank you all very much for your input. It is truly helpful.

Mary Ann LiPani-Sample
    Rochester NY

• 9.  RE: Bullying cusotmer

Posted 08-12-2019 16:37
    I would tell her if you cannot examine the comforter there is nothing you can do for her.

• 10.  RE: Bullying cusotmer

Posted 08-12-2019 17:09

Thank you KJ,

Mary Ann LiPani-Sample
    Rochester NY

• 11.  RE: Bullying cusotmer

Posted 08-12-2019 17:10
    Thank you again to everybody who responded, because of your excellent advise I was able ​work things out with her to the benefit of us both, and I learned a few things along the way. Have in wonderful evening.

Mary Ann

Mary Ann LiPani-Sample
    Rochester NY

• 12.  RE: Bullying cusotmer

Posted 08-12-2019 17:28
    Mary Ann,

One final thought.  Develop a claim form to be completely filled out for every claim.  It should include:   customer name, address, phone number, date and time damage occurred, machine number, cycle used, description of damage, etc.  This will nail down the issue and make it difficult for the customer to change her story later on.

Larry Adamski
    Muskegon Laundromat
    Muskegon, Michigan

• 13.  RE: Bullying cusotmer

Posted 08-12-2019 17:39
    Hear hear .. Right o Larry.  This is particularly important for dryers and knowing what temp setting the customer chose to use.  You should have all your dryers default to medium temp.  High temp selection be the customer virtually illuminates the 'your dryer burned my cloths' claim.  This isn't being devious by the operator - its being prudent.  Very few clothing labels indicate HI heat.  Commercial dryers do run much hotter than home units (setting for setting).  Once the cold weather arrives, we'll start getting the fleece blankets - these will melt in your dryers on HI !!!

Timothy Foster
    Multi-
    Timothy Foster Person
    Toledo

• 14.  RE: Bullying cusotmer

Posted 08-12-2019 18:11
    Edited by CURT HARRINGTON 08-12-2019 18:34
    Yet another HERE HERE!
    Whatever the issue is give them paper and pen for them to write down what happened. Then just set it aside as it may be needed in the future. Six months down the road they may tell the story differently to a Judge.

Curt Harrington

• 15.  RE: Bullying cusotmer

Posted 08-12-2019 22:55
    Chris Mallum mentioned about if the dryer was way overloaded ... that the rubber gasket on the door can cause marks on a customer's clothing.  Hopefully, it would still be the customer's fault ... just in case that is what happened in Mary Ann's specific case.  It does raise a question for me about which dryers or do all the newer dryers still have that potential albeit rare problem???

Since I am hanging on to older dryers that we modified with the tempered door glass resized but still remaining in place with industrial strength clear silicone ... I am curious to know if some newer dryers have that danger of rubbing on the door gasket glass???  Like the non self cleaning single pocket series ... those would be the kind of newer dryers that I would prefer to avoid!

For sure ... we try to get the person to give his or her name (or find it out some other way) so we are not quite as much in the dark ... especially when it comes to social media etc. threats!

MICHAEL WALSH www.kingkoin.com
    King Koin Laundry, Car n Dog Wash
    Bismarck ND

• 16.  RE: Bullying cusotmer

Posted 08-12-2019 23:07
    An excellent bit of advice from Timothy Foster on dryer default temp. setting. I have all of my dryers set that way too. It paid off a few times. Last winter a lady melted her fleece comforter. She wasn't rude or angry and was mostly telling me because she thought something must be wrong with my dryer. I asked her what temp. and she said high. I said lets have a look at that care label because I'm sure it will state low or no heat setting. It did.

Tom

Thomas Bright
    Owner
    Bright's Coin Wash
    Marengo Illinois

• 17.  RE: Bullying cusotmer

Posted 08-12-2019 23:50
    Mary Ann,

You've received lots of advice from some very knowledgeable folks. The important thing, in my opinion, is that you feel comfortable with your own actions.

No advice, including mine, should override your own personality and your way of living  your life and handling difficulties. This is your business.

There are those who might advocate a position that each customer is a valuable commodity, and you should consider if the cost of a payment is actually less than the value of that customer's lost business. Bad reputations spread like wildfire, whether true or not.

I always evaluate the customer and his/her story. If I think it has merit, I provide compensation at a reasonable level. You have lots of options to think about. You pick one that suits you.

Larry Larsen
    Laundromat123.com
    Anaheim, CA
    Distributor - Insurance - Consulting
    Cell: (714) 390-9969

• 18.  RE: Bullying cusotmer

Posted 08-13-2019 16:01
    Dear Mary Ann ,
    A lot of wise men have spoken....
    Let me give you a different prospective...
    One customer can do a lot of damage , on social media , with word to mouth and she can tell her story to anyone that wants to hear , and you will not be able to defend yourself.
    Why don't you want to make her your best advocate , and let her win .
    Is $50 so much money that you cannot say yes to a customer that is wrong and will harm you?
    You also can give her a credit that will not cause you any expenses....
    A customer is always right in my mind , even if they are wrong , they have today so much power to hurt , that I do not care if they are right or wrong , I make sure they leave happy ...
    If she knows she is wrong ( and she knows it) , she will advocate for you and become a real asset of the laundry...
    How many dishonest customers a year? Maybe one per month , and I have 7 laundries . Honestly it is not worth it to fight with them...
    But you have heard a lot of different opinions that I respect .
    Never forget that this is a business and that when there is no customers , there is no business . The customer pays the salaries ( Henry Ford).

LAURENT BRODA
    My Sunny Laundry
    Miami Beach FL