Open Forum

Ably Apparel...Wow...

• 1.  Ably Apparel...Wow...

Posted 02-08-2019 20:45
    Not sure what this means for our industry at this point, but stain free fabrics are here to stay.

They claim their clothing repels liquids, stains, and odors.

I do believe this to be a continuing trend for the future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWe5ZIQKU_M

------------------------------
    Paulie B
    Multiple Mat Owner since 1976
    New York City, NY

• 2.  RE: Ably Apparel...Wow...

Posted 02-09-2019 02:37
    Paulie,

I was approached about eight years ago by an inventor who claimed he developed a chemical treatment for clothes that prevented bacteria growth and was it was also resistant to stains. He wanted to sell in vended size boxes to Laundromats.

I thought it was a good idea but nothing came of it. What I did learn is that over time the treatment would diminish. The clothes would have to be retreated.  I really thought it would be good for underarm odors, not unlimited use without washing.

If this is similar to the product I was consulted on, it would be good for athletic socks, undershirts and underwear. but I don't think it will have a significant impact on our business. Few mothers will want to have their children wear any clothes that have never been washed or wear the same clothes for weeks without washing.

In my my younger days I was told to get out of the business because Laundromats would no longer be needed.  The belief promoted by futurists was all the people would buy disposable paper-based clothing.

To my surprise it did happen, and totally killed off a significant part of the business. It wasn't a fad, it really happened.

Paper clothing was developed and adopted for young and old.  Diapers appeared and all those washers reserved for washing diapers slowed in use and finally were converted to regular use.

I hope someone buys one of these items for a test. I suggest a pair of underwear that you'll wear for thirty days. Report back to the forum if on the 31st day you feel no desire to wash them. I suspect a day or maybe two will be your limit.

Larry Larsen
    Laundromat123.com
    Anaheim, CA
    Distributor - Insurance - Consulting
    Cell: (714) 390-9969

• 3.  RE: Ably Apparel...Wow...

Posted 02-09-2019 15:50
    Yeap... put it on the shelf next to self leveling concrete and self cleaning oven. After awhile it just won't do it any more. Kinda like a washer that never needs repair.... until it does.

Harry Pruyn
    Solano Cleaning Center
    1219 Solano Ave.
    Albany, Ca
    510 524-0254