Open Forum

Additional Laundry Income

• 1.  Additional Laundry Income

Posted 02-03-2019 20:15
    Hello All,

I am requesting some additional laundry ideas to generate income. Currently, i am selling some chips, drinks and soap to generate additional income. If you all can share your ideas would be great -

------------------------------
    Frank Kesh

Join CLA - Enjoy Membership Benefits

• 2.  RE: Additional Laundry Income

Posted 02-03-2019 20:26
    Frank,

Make your laundromat super clean and repair your equipment promptly.  Doing these 2 things better then your competitors can bring in more revenue than anything else you might imagine.

Larry Adamski
    Muskegon Laundromat
    Spring Lake MI

• 3.  RE: Additional Laundry Income

Posted 02-03-2019 20:33
    Tks Larry but I am already doing that. Prompt repair and cleanliness has been very instrumental for us and we really value that, with that, i want to know what others are doing to add revenue - i am sure people are doing alot of other things to generate income

Frank Kesh
    Potential Investor
    Lewisville TX

• 4.  RE: Additional Laundry Income

Posted 02-03-2019 21:13
    Edited by Larry Adamski 02-04-2019 09:52
    Frank,

In my experience, the problem with doing other things to enhance revenue is that those things can distract management from paying attention to the basics.  Thus, the core business often suffers as the secondary business presents new demands or, in a worst case scenario,  even interferes with the self serve business.

Larry Adamski
    Muskegon Laundromat
    Spring Lake MI

• 5.  RE: Additional Laundry Income

Posted 02-03-2019 21:38
    Edited by Jim Allen 02-03-2019 21:41
    When I bought my Lmat I said that I wanted customers to be able to just grab their laundry, head down to my store as their preferred store, and be able do complete their work.  To that end, we have a soap vending machine with 1 slot for laundry bags, 2 coin/bill changers, and a soda machine.

In our strip center is also a 24 hr donut shop and a pretty good pizza store.  Also, we have a couple of video games, but I've been reducing those as I make floor plan changes.  I replaced several of the beat up, worn out, marked up folding counters with nice SS countertops.  So far, the SS countertops have been very well received.  The idea is, like Larry said, to make it a place that feels comfortable and safe.  After all, it's mostly women folk doing the family laundry.

So, you want to keep the main thing the main thing.  In manufacturing, we called it focusing on your core competencies.

Jim Allen
    Store Owner/ Employee
    VIP Laundry
    Orange CA

Store Owner/ EmployeeVIP LaundryVIP LaundryJimAllenVIP LaundryVIP Laundry

• 6.  RE: Additional Laundry Income

Posted 02-04-2019 00:40
    Frank;

Depends on your State rules, you could open up a Cannabis dispensary. I am told the ROI is very good!!!

Deward Stout
    Store Owner/ Employee
    Hurricane Laundromat & Storage
    Hurricane UT

• 7.  RE: Additional Laundry Income

Posted 02-04-2019 12:05
    Interesting point Frank...!!  Let's just mention a few no-brainer automatics.  WDF is imperative in my market and everywhere else laundromats exist.  Also, delivery and pick-up via the web - residential, salons, massage parlors, pubs/restaurants, institutional opportunities etc.  I don't run an arcade, that's already on their phones with WiFi and one snack machine and one beverage machine is all you need for vending other than laundry associated items.

Andy Johnson
    Owner
    Super Suds Laundromats, LLC
    Wilmington, MA

• 8.  RE: Additional Laundry Income

Posted 02-04-2019 14:01
    I know Larry says skip everything except laundry but he is not the final authority on laundromats, just his, everybody doesn't operate the same and some laundromats are running with all the customers they will get, I personally could not live on just what mine do make so we expanded, we also put a dog wash in which makes equivalent to a 45 lb washer

Tony May
    Store owner
    Osage Iowa

• 9.  RE: Additional Laundry Income

Posted 02-04-2019 15:44
    Edited by Larry Adamski 02-04-2019 17:39
    Tony,

If you cannot live on what your laundromat makes then you may have some sort of unresolved problem such as a poor location, too much debt, too small, etc.  Expanding to additional "profit centers" is not a substitute for addressing a chronic underlying problem.

I, too, thought my laundromat was maxed out until I eliminated the drop off laundry service 4 years ago.  Since concentrating on self service, sales have set record after record, year after year.  But I am sure my experience couldn't possibly apply to anyone else here on this forum.

Larry Adamski
    Muskegon Laundromat
    Spring Lake MI

• 10.  RE: Additional Laundry Income

Posted 02-04-2019 19:08
    The best supplemental money makers for me were my ATM's. Soda machine...not so much.

Also, If you are allowed in your city, put in a Quarter pusher. They can pull in a lot of money. One of my friends has one and he said he makes over $800.00/month profit on it.

Paulie B
    Multiple Mat Owner since 1976
    New York City, NY

• 11.  RE: Additional Laundry Income

Posted 02-04-2019 19:41
    Paulie,

I would love to try one set up to work with dollar coins.  Can you imagine how much attention it would get?  Alas, they are illegal in Michigan.

Larry Adamski
    Muskegon Laundromat
    Spring Lake MI

• 12.  RE: Additional Laundry Income

Posted 02-05-2019 11:48
    Larry,

A Dollar Coin pusher would work wonders in the pure profit dept.
    Can you imagine making say....$2,000.00/month from 1 machine that takes up less than 2 square feet?

Paulie B
    Multiple Mat Owner since 1976
    New York City, NY

• 13.  RE: Additional Laundry Income

Posted 02-05-2019 15:21
    where can you find these quarter machines in NY?

thanks

Jarrett Lowenstein
    Long Island, NY

• 14.  RE: Additional Laundry Income

Posted 02-05-2019 12:16
    We don't look at extra profit centers as a break it or leave it. I say if you need these additional  profit centers to pay the bills you need to evaluate the main business first. We look at our mats as to how to generate extra income from all our usable square footage in store. We have ATM, video, pay weight scale with horoscope, toy crain machines, candy water and soda machine all in one unit, coffee machine, bulk .50-.75 candy gum balls and prize machine, sticker machine, and the best is the coin pusher. I feel the way to go is quarters. People psychologically don't hesitate to drop a quarter to play but $1 faces resistance. Make sure you mix $10 and $20's on top of quarters to make the reward and incourage them to play. Position the bills near the fron so they feel they have a chance to win. The best addition is W&F. I don't understand how a mats income can increase if you discontinue W&F? How and why?

Denise Rubenstein
    Laundermagic of Patchogue
    Bayport NY

• 15.  RE: Additional Laundry Income

Posted 02-05-2019 15:46
    Edited by Larry Adamski 02-05-2019 15:53
    Denise,

Offering wash, dry, fold can negatively affect the self serve side of the laundromat in the following ways:

1.  Employees processing drop off laundry compete with self serve customers for access to the washers and dryers.

2.  Employees cannot clean the facility when they are waiting on drop off customers.

3.  Employees cannot clean the facility when they are processing drop off laundry.

4.  Employees are slower to aid a self serve customer when they are processing a drop off laundry.

5.  Sometimes washers and dryers are reserved for drop off laundry processing effectively preventing self serve customers from using those machines.

6.  Drop off laundry customers can be  demanding and may disrupt efforts to clean the facility.

7.  Employees who receive tips or commissions for processing drop off laundry tend to focus their time and effort in that direction.  The self serve customer is more likely to be ignored.

8.  Employees engaged in drop off laundry handling are less likely to attend to trash or carts in the parking lot.  That inattention can result in a negative first impression when a new self serve customer pulls up.

9.  Employees engaged in processing drop off laundry cannot inspect and clean the restroom hourly.  A dirty restroom is a turn-off to the self serve customers.

10.  Most laundromats do not hire additional employees to process drop off laundry.  An employee cannot do 2 jobs at once.  Cleaning of the washers, dryers and floor are omitted or delayed whenever drop off laundry processing gets top priority.

11.  Self serve customers sense they are being treated as second class customers in the overall scheme of things.  They see the dirt and trash that the employees are ignoring.   They see how long they must wait before an employee can come over and help them when they have a problem.

12.  Self serve customers will be on the lookout for a laundromat that offers better service to THEM.  When such an accommodation presents itself,  the self serve customer will not hesitate to change laundromats.

13.  A single employee working in a laundromat can accommodate 1 drop off customer or 15 self serve customers with good, personal service.  Those 15 self serve customers may spend $300 per hour whereas the 1 drop off customer may spend $50 per hour.  Thus, sales can grow when drop off service is eliminated so that one employee can give good, personal service to all of those self serve customers.

Denise, I hope this detailed explanation answers your question about how sales can actually increase after eliminating the higher priced drop off laundry service.

Larry Adamski
    Muskegon Laundromat
    Spring Lake MI

• 16.  RE: Additional Laundry Income

Posted 02-06-2019 11:28
    We have all of the standards, 2 soda vending machines (Pepsi and Coke), 2 video arcade games, 1 stuffed animal game, 1 quarter pusher, 1 bubble gum/candy dispenser, and a Jukebox. We also offer Notary services, wash dry fold, wash n press, press only, dry cleaning and alterations (which we outsource for a percentage). We are fully attended for all hours open, so instead of a vending machine for laundry supplies, we also sell those over the counter, (Laundry soaps and softeners, dryer sheets, hangers, and wdf bags).

We also have tons of freebies for our self-serve customers: Free WiFi, Free Keurig coffee, Free snacks, 4 IPADS for the kids to use, 3 big screen TV's, Lounge area with couches, and curbside service.

REBECCA Jenkins
    Corner Wash Club
    www.cornerwashclub.com
    Largo FL

• 17.  RE: Additional Laundry Income

Posted 02-06-2019 12:00
    Rebecca & others,

We have one touchscreen video 50+ game arcade style of game with a backup to help avoid any downtime on it since it does result in profit & the customers appreciate that somewhat of an amenity even though we charge for it.  50 cents for 1 game play or $1 coin (or bill) for 3 games.  $5 will get them 16 games.  The easy & quick "via button press" height positioning of the game does make it more attractive regardless of the height of the person.

Since we have to redo our Internet Kiosk we decided to hopefully find a way to turn that into a 22" Touchscreen Internet Kiosk that is also good enough for serious reflex sharpening game playing.  I think we have a shot at it being successful because of the new Direct X 12 in Windows 10 & a good enough 1050 Nvidia graphics card.

If we are successful with the Internet Kiosk we may replace the MegaTouch Brand with another Touchscreen Internet kiosk.  We are thinking maintenance that 2nd item will be less of a concern than on our MegaTouch Arcade machine.  If our Game Playing Ultra Fast Internet Kiosk is top notch ... I wonder what we dare charge "time wise" for it ... since in that kiosk format it won't be charged per game.

Michael Walsh www.kingkoin.com
    King Koin Laundry, Car n Dog Wash
    Bismarck ND

• 18.  RE: Additional Laundry Income

Posted 02-06-2019 13:13
    Like Larry identified focus is on a clean well, lit, & run mat.  No need for the extra scheme's as they detract from the basics, and in some cases add to the overhead which ends up counterintuitive.

Besides & most important keep busy with work. Thus the costs associated with looking for additional income are a non-starter.  Far better to simply focus on increasing business which we do.

Juan
    Cocoa FL

• 19.  RE: Additional Laundry Income

Posted 02-06-2019 18:05
    Juan,

Yes.  You brought up a point that I had overlooked.   That is that management often becomes distracted when drop off laundry related issues arise.  It's hard to focus on improving the self serve customer experience when you have to deal with missing items from a drop off laundry order.  Meanwhile, your primary competitor may be upping his game and getting your customers' attention.

Larry Adamski
    Muskegon Laundromat
    Spring Lake MI

• 20.  RE: Additional Laundry Income

Posted 02-12-2019 23:56
    Thanks a ton for so many suggestions and feedback.. taking the suggestion of those who said we need to focus on our basic business which is laundry - i lined up my staff to make sure things are done properly and cleanliness is taken care of

taking suggestions from others who gave out so many additional income ideas - i found a guy to bring in coin pusher and plush toy crane this week - i really hope this would bring in some decent revenues

regarding ATM i am just concerned that the area where i service is not very good so it might attract burglers and break ins - so i am still thinking about it

pls feel free to throw in some additional ideas

tks a ton!

Frank Kesh
    Town East Coin. Laundry
    Mesquite TX